[REMOVE ADS]

Imitation is the Best Form of Flattery!

While Berry Gordy latched onto a brilliant idea to stir up extra record sales with the "Original 16 Big Hits" series, it appears the Marketing Department of Columbia Records thought a similar approach might work of them as well. Evidently "sales thunder" did not strike twice!

Name:  s-l225-1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  20.0 KBtName:  s-l1600-2.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  89.3 KB

Seems like Columbia's "BIG HITS" was a bit of a stretch.

hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Seems like Columbia's "BIG HITS" was a bit of a stretch.
    With a selection like Columbia includes in their BIG HITS, none of the songs are that great that the album would be worth no more than $1.00 at the time period. What a lousy selection of songs - how many do you remember?

I honestly never saw this and back in those days I worked in a record store that carried a huge selection of 45s and albums.

more hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    With a selection like Columbia includes in their BIG HITS, none of the songs are that great that the album would be worth no more than $1.00 at the time period. What a lousy selection of songs - how many do you remember?

I honestly never saw this and back in those days I worked in a record store that carried a huge selection of 45s and albums.
    I wonder if this might have been a Columbia House record club exclusive. I remember my neighbor having the very one pictured in the first post. I always wanted her to play Aretha's MOCKINGBIRD.

Imitation may be the best sort of flattery but, it's not always the best source of Hit Records. As others on this thread pointed out, there's not a lot of Major Hits on this collection from Columbia [Paul Revere & The Raiders' "Kicks" is the only song on the LP that was a hit].

Obscure is the word that comes to mind.....I have heard of the Peaches and Herb song, the Tremeloes and the Raiders. The others look boring.

There is a label in England [[would have to look it up) that also borrows the concept for some Northern Soul collections, but they put 24 songs on their CDs. I think I have two of them....I can picture a red one and a green one.

@ David, I have that CD, cover looks just like the Motown, and for that matter, the Columbia cover. I only have Volume 2 of "This is Northern Soul! Volume 2". Released in 1998 by Debutante, a division of Polygram Record operations, by then owner of Motown.
    Last edited by 1382hitsville; 09-06-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Name:  CBS.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  83.3 KB

The above is the reverse of the lp from the original post.

Some observations:
    On the bottom of the image it says, "Copyright 1968 Direct Marketing Services."
    From Discogs:
    "CBS Direct Marketing Services was formed in 1966 to be the parent of Columbia Record Club, Columbia Stereo Tape Club, Masterworks Subscription Service, Columbia Musical Treasuries, Records Unlimited and Installment Sales.

CBS Direct Marketing Services ceased to exist when it was renamed Columbia House in 1971. "

"Somebody to Love" [[originally titled "Someone to Love") by The Great Society with Grace Slick was released in February, 1966 and was credited to The Great Society. The re-recorded and re-titled version "Somebody to Love" by the Jefferson Airplane, was released in in April, 1967.

Maybe they were trying to capitalize off the then current success of "Somebody to Love".

Thanks for the free advertising!!! I knew I had both and I knew I had placed them up for sale but I could not remember the details.

"Goin' Back" by The Byrds is the Goffin/King song made famous a year earlier by Dusty Springfield. The song has been recorded by many artist including Bruce Springsteen, Phil Collins, Diana Ross, the Pretenders and Carole herself.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    "Somebody to Love" [[originally titled "Someone to Love") by The Great Society with Grace Slick was released in February, 1966 and was credited to The Great Society. The re-recorded and re-titled version "Somebody to Love" by the Jefferson Airplane, was released in in April, 1967.

Maybe they were trying to capitalize off the then current success of "Somebody to Love".
    There's no maybe about it; Columbia Records definitely was trying to capitalize on the success of Jefferson Airplane's version of "Somebody To Love". They would release two albums by Grace Slick's former group, The Great Society in the wake of Jefferson Airplane's popularity. And they're also trying to cash in on Aretha Franklin's smashing success on Atlantic by including a song from her Columbia years, "Mockingbird". This is standard operating procedure for the record business and there' lots of examples of it.