[REMOVE ADS]

If We Hold On Together-Diana Ross

What do people think about this song? It was her first single after she left RCA. Recorded for MCA for Land Before Time soundtrack. Was something of AC hit in the US. And Land Before Time was a popular video in the family video market so a generation of kids growing up in the 90s and 00's were first exposed to Diana Ross through this song. So it became something of an enduring hit due to this. I think it's a sweet song and glad it was included as a bonus cut on the Force Behind the Power CD as it fit that album well. Here's a live version from Christmas in Vienna.

It is a nice recording that I probably grew to appreciate more over the years than I did at its original release. I've never seen her give a bad performance of it and it is nice to see how much it was appreciated in Japan and the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It is a nice recording that I probably grew to appreciate more over the years than I did at its original release. I've never seen her give a bad performance of it and it is nice to see how much it was appreciated in Japan and the UK.
    I especially enjoyed her singing it for Steven Spielberg at a televised tribute to him. He seemed very pleased from his seat and afterward, on stage, expressed delight and amazement "to have been serenaded by Diana Ross!"
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-05-2021 at 11:23 AM.

I absolutely adore it. It’s my go to when I’m feeling fed with the world and all it’s complications. As reece already mentioned, i have never heard her give a bad performance of the song
    Other peeps have performed it, but like so many other Diana songs, hers is the penultimate rendition.

One of the most beautiful songs ever recorded

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I especially enjoyed her singing it for Steven Spielberg at a televised tribute to him. He seemed very pleased from his seat and afterward, on stage, expressed delight and amazement "to have been serenaded by Diana Ross!"
    Yes, that was when she hosted the 2000 NAACP Image Awards.

In the 'early days' of the song I thought it was kind of bland, but it has grown on me since then, as has Diana's gorgeous vocal on the record and TV appearances. My guess is that the lyric has personal meaning to Diana, particularly the line 'Live your story'. As has been discussed here, sometimes in soul / r&b a heightened appraisal is given to vocalists who bust a gut and hit every note in the scale with each word sung but great singing can also be simple and understated.

I was still buying my albums on vinyl back then and was peeved when I discovered it wasn't included in the UK vinyl edition of the album!

Really beautiful song.

Was one of the top 100 selling singles of the year in the UK in 1992.