[REMOVE ADS]

Sax credit on Southern soul track - Junior Walker??

Afternoon, all!

i’ve been searching without success to find who the saxophone player is on Don Covay’s “I Was Checking Out, She Was Checking In.”

I know that it was recorded in Muscle Shoals in 1973, it sounds suspiciously like Junior Walker but I didn’t think he ever recorded there. Can’t find any mention of the saxophonist in the liner notes…

[[The sax solo is very brief and only opens the song for the first couple of seconds:

does have that Jr. Walker sound, but I don't think it is or at least I have never heard that it was.Married people cheating was BIG in the early 70's, LOL

I wish I could tell you who that is but I have had no luck finding an answer regardless
    of search engine I use or music website I check. Another thing about that song I've
    trying to find out is: who the hell is that guy singing behind Don? When I check it out
    on youtube I see viewers wondering the same thing I have but nobody seems to know
    either....ARRRGGHHH....Guess I'll never know....

I always assumed it was Don Covay overdubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I always assumed it was Don Covay overdubbed.
    It could be except after listening to it over and over it still sounds like it's a distinctly
    different voice as it moves up and down the register behind him. Meanwhile I'm still
    trying to find out who did that saxophone opening. All I've able to do is check guys
    off the list. It's not Don's old partner Buddy Lucas. It's probably not King Curtis who
    was murdered 2 years before it's release. I can't see Jr Walker giving somebody a freebie
    like that and not taking credit or even traveling to Muscle Shoals to do it...

It's taken me YEARS but I finally found out today that the cat backing Don on I Was Checkin' Out... is Prince Phillip Mitchell, a guy that had a career of his own working too
    with a number of artists. He never really blew up though. Here is a single of his
    backed by The Jones Girls....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4Hm6rR09w

Now to that saxophonist...