[REMOVE ADS]

What is everyone's favourite time period for soul?

For me is 1967-1974, to me it was the peak of soul music, Aretha Franklin, Sly and The Family Stone, Laura Lee, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Isaac Hayes, Gladys Knight, Curtis Mayfield, Bobby Womack and many more I can list. I felt produced their best work within that time frame.

Whats your favourite time period soul?

From 1961 to the present...I completely understand basing judgements on chart history
    and mainstream media outlet statistics and grafts but puzzle me this:If what we've come
    to know as Soul as a music genre can almost single handedly be credited to Ray Charles,
    when exactly did it die? Obviously it's been nowhere near it's presence in popular music
    as it has been in American music but that's not the point. Soul as an element, not the
    genre, became property of a number of formally called funk and blues bands. Many
    well after 1974 but if none that appealed to you that's your choice. I just don't
    remember when I could say "that,s the last soul singing I ever heard." Prince, The Time,
    Bloodstone, Cameo all the way up to 80 Force M.D.s, heck, even Ready For The World,
    the so-callled Time knock off group, held it down for me.

For me-1965-1972.

I really don't have one. I started collecting everything I could get hold of from 1966 through to today. I should say that what I have been buying since the 80's are reissues from Ace, Spectrum, Motown. For my taste of soul, it died in the 80's. It just dropped off a cliff. If you like rap, hip hop, that's cool, but it doesn' t work for me. I do have a massive collection so am not short of listening material. Soul music was such a broad spectrum of flavours, from Motown, Stax, Philadelphia International, Hotlanta, Solar, Invictus, Hot Wax, Music Merchant, Boo, Carnival, Brunswick, Dakar, Salsoul, Amherst, ABC, and on and on and on.....What I do find is that there is such a broad range, my preference might vary from day to day or week to week....

And I think the most wonderful thing is that after all these years, and having amassed a collection of several thousand tracks, I am still discovering the most captivating sounds. I listen every week to a guy called Shaun Louis on Mixsound [[FREE). I don't know him, have no connection with him, but I have to say he presents the most varied wonderful show without disrupting the flow. He is the best, most knowledgeable DJ I have encountered, ever. Take a listen, it's priceless.

https://www.mixcloud.com/djshaunloui...ugust-30-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I really don't have one. I started collecting everything I could get hold of from 1966 through to today. I should say that what I have been buying since the 80's are reissues from Ace, Spectrum, Motown. For my taste of soul, it died in the 80's. It just dropped off a cliff. If you like rap, hip hop, that's cool, but it doesn' t work for me. I do have a massive collection so am not short of listening material. Soul music was such a broad spectrum of flavours, from Motown, Stax, Philadelphia International, Hotlanta, Solar, Invictus, Hot Wax, Music Merchant, Boo, Carnival, Brunswick, Dakar, Salsoul, Amherst, ABC, and on and on and on.....What I do find is that there is such a broad range, my preference might vary from day to day or week to week....

And I think the most wonderful thing is that after all these years, and having amassed a collection of several thousand tracks, I am still discovering the most captivating sounds. I listen every week to a guy called Shaun Louis on Mixsound [[FREE). I don't know him, have no connection with him, but I have to say he presents the most varied wonderful show without disrupting the flow. He is the best, most knowledgeable DJ I have encountered, ever. Take a listen, it's priceless.

https://www.mixcloud.com/djshaunloui...ugust-30-2021/
    Soul was definitely on a huge decline throughout the 80s.

1969 - 1974.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  21.1 KB
    If you mean what period of when the songs were recorded, for me it is from whenever you say Soul Music started to about 1966. But, I still liked what they were recording from 1967 to about 1971, but just less of it as a % of what was coming out, until I didn't like much at all of what was being produced. But, I started listening to R&B, Jazz, and Blues starting in about 1949 or '50. And my absolute favourite years were in this order of liking them:

[[1) 1964 Motown, Chicago Sound, Girls Groups
    [[2) 1965 same as above
    [[3) 1953 5-part harmony R&B Groups, Chicago Blues, Jazz Combos
    [[4) 1954 same as above
    [[5) 1963 same as 1964, plus Sweet New York Sound [[Drifters, etc.)
    [[6) 1962 Same as 1963 continued R&B/Soul transition
    [[7) 1966 Motown, Chicago Sound Afro-Latin Jazz Early Philly Sound
    [[8) 1961 Early Motown, Early Chicago Sound
    [[9) 1955 same as 1953 and 1954
    [[10) 1960 start of R&B/Soul transition, early Motown, early Chicago Sound
    [[11) 1956 same as 1953-55, but more commercial, and less inovative
    [[12) 1957 New York fast Doo-Wop
    [[13) 1967 Motown Crankout Machine Sound [[still really good music)
    [[14) 1952 Transition from Pop, Jazz, and Blues to R&B, early smooth group sound
    [[15) 1958 Not as good as 53-57, dominated by novelty & too much big orchestral sound
    [[16) 1951 R&B group sound starting to come into its own [[Five Keys, Dominoes, etc.)
    [[17) 1968 Trending too modern for me. Still a lot I liked but most not on the radio.
    [[18) 1950 Early, experimentation period of R&B harmony groups-more I liked than '49.
    [[19) 1949 Early, experimentation period of R&B harmony groups[[Ink Spots,Orioles, Delta Rhythm Boys, Charioteers).
    [[20) 1969 Last of the summer wine. Still some good records, but mostly not on radio.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-04-2021 at 01:09 PM.

I would say my time period is about the same as yours. Motown and Stax/Volt and Atlantic records were on the radio a lot then in Virginia where I was in school. I get sad thinking about the move of Motown to LA. That great Funk Brothers Detroit sound was it for me. The LA guys were not even close and I include the LA Wrecking Crew in that statement!

1962-1979 after that instruments sounded too "fake" to me.

1962 - 1975