[REMOVE ADS]

I値l Keep My Light In My Window

To put me out of my misery, does anyone have a recording date for this particular Diana & Marvin duet. I’m guessing it wasn’t recorded the same time as the D&M album as the song was featured on the “Pops We Love You” album from 79.....Cheers.

I don't know the original date, but most likely it is later than the D&M sessions, not only because of the sound [[which is more late 1970s), but also because the original version by Caston & Majors was released on their 1974 album and released as single in 1975, thus after Diana & Marvin was released.

Unless I'm mistaken, "Window" was recorded specifically for the Pops album, so it had to be 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, "Window" was recorded specifically for the Pops album, so it had to be 1978.
    Indeed most likely, also because the song is produced by Leonard Caston and Iris Gordy, who also produced Smokey Robinson's solo contribution to the album, "Mother's Son." Iris Gordy also produced the Jermaine Jackson & Tata Vega duet, "You'll Never Rock Alone." Thus very likely that they were recorded specifically for the album.

Many thanks for the info Jaap And Ran. It does seem likely that 1978 was the year the duet was recorded in. Had it been recorded for the original album, i think it might have done very well as a single.
    Marvin seems to have occupied a special place in Diana’s heart, with her affection for him always more then apparent. Had he lived, i think they might have got together again at some point. If not as a duet partner then perhaps as a producer.
    Its a shame Diana’s version of “I Want You” was marred by substandard production. I wish she had recorded more of his songs over the years.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-03-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Indeed most likely, also because the song is produced by Leonard Caston and Iris Gordy, who also produced Smokey Robinson's solo contribution to the album, "Mother's Son." Iris Gordy also produced the Jermaine Jackson & Tata Vega duet, "You'll Never Rock Alone." Thus very likely that they were recorded specifically for the album.
    Was “Mother’s Son” definitely a new recording?. I know the Jermaine and Tata Vega duet was.
    The “Pop’s album made for an uneven mixture of old and new songs.

There is a Diana solo vocal for this track.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Was “Mother’s Son” definitely a new recording?. I know the Jermaine and Tata Vega duet was.
    The “Pop’s album made for an uneven mixture of old and new songs.
    As far as I know, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    As far as I know, it was.
    I’ve just read something i didn’t know in that Diana,Marvin & Smokey apparently recorded “Pop’s We Love You” together in the same studio. I always assumed their parts were recorded separately. I guess “Window” would have been from the same session.
    Considering the amazing, historical lineup of music legends, it’s a shame “Pop’s was not a stronger song.

I’ve just read something i didn’t know in that Diana,Marvin & Smokey apparently recorded “Pop’s We Love You” together in the same studio. I always assumed their parts were recorded separately. I guess “Window” would have been from the same session.
    Considering the amazing, historical lineup of music legends, it’s a shame “Pop’s was not a stronger song.
    In J. Randy Taborrelli's book on Motown, he includes a photo of Diana, Marvin, and Smokey in the studio. In another article, he wrote about how if a single by the same quartet would have been released in the 60s, it would have been a smash.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In J. Randy Taborrelli's book on Motown, he includes a photo of Diana, Marvin, and Smokey in the studio. In another article, he wrote about how if a single by the same quartet would have been released in the 60s, it would have been a smash.
    It’s been so long since i first read that book reece that i really don’t remember. Was the photo from the updated version?. I seem to remember a pic from Wembley Arena Circa 1980 with Diana, Marvin and Stevie.
    Diana appeared to hold a lot of affection for Marvin. Had he lived i think they might have recorded together again at some point.
    I believe it was only Stevie who working on his “Plants” album that was absent from the recording session. Although the song is weak, all four singers sound in great form.
    It’s a huge shame that like Diana and Marvin they didn’t all record at least one more song together.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-05-2021 at 03:29 AM.

It’s been so long since i first read that book reece that i really don’t remember. Was the photo from the updated version?. I seem to remember a pic from Wembley Arena Circa 1980 with Diana, Marvin and Stevie.
    Diana appeared to hold a lot of affection for Marvin. Had he lived i think they might have recorded together again at some point.
    I believe it was only Stevie who working on his “Plants” album that was absent from the recording session. Although the song is weak, all four singers sound in great form.
    It’s a huge shame that like Diana and Marvin they didn’t all record at least one more song together.
    Taborrelli hasn't updated his book on Motown, to my knowledge.

I have seen the photo of Diana, Marvin, and Stevie onstage together at Wembley. But the photo I was referring to shows Diana, Smokey, and Marvin in the studio recording POPS...

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Taborrelli hasn't updated his book on Motown, to my knowledge.

I have seen the photo of Diana, Marvin, and Stevie onstage together at Wembley. But the photo I was referring to shows Diana, Smokey, and Marvin in the studio recording POPS...
    I believe the Motown book was updated in 88, but could well feature in both editions.
    It seems such a throwaway to have three music legends in the studio at the same time and only record one song. Two if you count Diana and Marvin duetting on “Window”.
    I wish Diana had recorded something with Smokey at the session.