[REMOVE ADS]

I too am living in shame lol - guilty pleasures of Supremes fans

this topic emerged in another thread and Ran suggested making it a topic! so here we go

so what song [[or a couple of songs) do you really happen to like but would never really play for other friends. or maybe wouldn't even normally admit to other fan!?!!? lol What song pops on when your playlist is on shuffle while you're doing housework and you just belt it out along with the track! lol

he's 17
    girls
    I am me

long gone lover - now i'm not shaming the song, as much as myself. i love letting it rip as if I'm Flo on the outro! lololololol fortunately no one is around to hear lol

"I'm Living In Shame." I thought it was a brilliant song, melodrama and all. It still touches a chord because I know the storyline is quite plausible. Here in the States there was a generation of young Blacks who grew up on farms, got a chance at a college education and went away to a new upscale life. I could imagine a young girl who might end up distancing herself from her former hand-me-down life. The mom in the song reminds me of my late grandmother, my dad's mom. She was a simple farm woman but as wonderful a lady as they come. She did have a daughter who went away to college. She wasn't as extreme as the Diana Ross character but I could see some similarities. So this song, to me, never sounded contrived or corny. And Diana sang it with such passion and conviction I always get a little bit moved every time I play it loud.

I definitely don’t need to be alone to belt out a Diana Ross number.
    I literally did this yesterday in front of friends when “Ain’t No Mountain” amazingly came on the radio. As fans we know every lick and nuance of those songs.
    I love joining Diana on the spoken passages, particularly the long version.
    ”You See, my love is alive”. I give it the full works lol.

There's nothing I would be ashamed of when it comes to fellow fans. But there are a few songs that I love that I probably wouldn't play for non fans.

"Rock and Roll Banjo Band"- I love this song. Love the harmonies, love the banjo. The lyrics are cute. But it is an odd sort of sounding song that I believe most people, particularly non fans, wouldn't see the appeal of.

"Thank You Darling, Thank You Baby" and "Moonlight and Kisses"- I don't understand a word of either song, aside from the titles, but both are great songs. I feel like the average person I know would look at me funny for bringing these two out. [[Fingers still crossed that full English versions of these songs are waiting to be discovered.)

The entire Disney sessions- Yes, I love these. Don't know if we'll ever get the full sessions on a release, but I would love to hear alternates, and even more of the Brenda Holloway demos. As for playing this for others, maybe in the car with the kids, but I can't see me breaking these out with other adults around.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    this topic emerged in another thread and Ran suggested making it a topic! so here we go

so what song [[or a couple of songs) do you really happen to like but would never really play for other friends. or maybe wouldn't even normally admit to other fan!?!!? lol What song pops on when your playlist is on shuffle while you're doing housework and you just belt it out along with the track! lol

he's 17
    girls
    I am me

long gone lover - now i'm not shaming the song, as much as myself. i love letting it rip as if I'm Flo on the outro! lololololol fortunately no one is around to hear lol
    I didn't care for "He's 17" for the longest time. In recent years it's started to grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    "I'm Living In Shame." I thought it was a brilliant song, melodrama and all. It still touches a chord because I know the storyline is quite plausible. Here in the States there was a generation of young Blacks who grew up on farms, got a chance at a college education and went away to a new upscale life. I could imagine a young girl who might end up distancing herself from her former hand-me-down life. The mom in the song reminds me of my late grandmother, my dad's mom. She was a simple farm woman but as wonderful a lady as they come. She did have a daughter who went away to college. She wasn't as extreme as the Diana Ross character but I could see some similarities. So this song, to me, never sounded contrived or corny. And Diana sang it with such passion and conviction I always get a little bit moved every time I play it loud.
    While I agree that the storyline was real and relevant, the lyrics have a cornball effect on my ears. I think in the hands of HDH or Smokey or a number of other writers, "Shame" would've been a great follow up to "Love Child". Even Diana's vocal is on the annoying side to me, and I usually love when she gets into the character of a story song. This one just doesn't do it for me. If you really want to be moved about a story of a daughter going away and being ashamed, try Dorothy Norwood's "The Denied Mother".

My guilty pleasures seemingly not favorites among fans here :

One More Chance
    Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    Endless Love [[solo)
    Tell Me Again
    Nobody Makes Me Crazy Like You Do

Guilty pleasures I wouldn't play for non-fan friends:

These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
    [[I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Long gone lover - now i'm not shaming the song, as much as myself. i love letting it rip as if I'm Flo on the outro! lololololol fortunately no one is around to hear lol
    LOL. I've always loved this song, too, but now I'm also gonna belt out Flo's outro [[in the car or shower)!

Good topic! Here are a few I can't help but like, but wouldn't play to get someone interested in The Supremes:

The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
    What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?
    I'm Livin' In Shame
    This Is Why I Believe In You

I really love "Thank you darling, thank you baby" which might count as a guilty pleasure.

Coca Cola Commercials
    Things Are Changing
    Ballad of Davy Crockett
    Surfer Boy

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    i think there was a fine enough concept here. but the specific lyrics are bit idiotic. like eating out of the pot and cooking down some strawberry jam.

but even with those changes it's a bit too cloning of LC. i get it they wanted a more serious, mature song. but I'd have gone with Evening Train.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I definitely don’t need to be alone to belt out a Diana Ross number.
    I literally did this yesterday in front of friends when “Ain’t No Mountain” amazingly came on the radio. As fans we know every lick and nuance of those songs.
    I love joining Diana on the spoken passages, particularly the long version.
    ”You See, my love is alive”. I give it the full works lol.
    there was a bar in atlanta called Mary's that did mary-oke sing along. he had the Motown version of a karaoke songs so he had the full 6 min version of Ain't No Mountain. the bar also had a mezzanine level and so I'd do Mountain and as it builds to the dramatic chorus, I'd slowly climb the stairs until i hit the top step overlooking the entire bar and sing "AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH!!!!!"

tore the roof off that motherfucker!!!!! heheheheheeh

Some of my guilty pleasures:

I'm living in Shame [[great musical track/production and performances, but the lyrics, lol!)

Surfer Boy

Pieces of Ice [[I enjoy the icy production but the lyrics are nonsensical, but that just adds to the enjoyment).

I Love a Warm Summer Night [[I love old movie shows and going out to the Discos, what a rhyme--still the song has quite a hook and a release into the chorus)

You Are the Heart of Me [[Mary has an orgasm--Donna Summer, you have competition)

Diana Ross on stage for Christmas in Vienna between Domingo and Carreras as they sing opera and she makes dramatic gestures to call attention to her fabulous self.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Some of my guilty pleasures:

I'm living in Shame [[great musical track/production and performances, but the lyrics, lol!)

Surfer Boy

Pieces of Ice [[I enjoy the icy production but the lyrics are nonsensical, but that just adds to the enjoyment).

I Love a Warm Summer Night [[I love old movie shows and going out to the Discos, what a rhyme--still the song has quite a hook and a release into the chorus)

You Are the Heart of Me [[Mary has an orgasm--Donna Summer, you have competition)

Diana Ross on stage for Christmas in Vienna between Domingo and Carreras as they sing opera and she makes dramatic gestures to call attention to her fabulous self.
    Oh, I forgot about how much I love/hate You Are The Heart Of Me. When the final sessions were released in 2011, I was hoping there would be an alternate version without the moaning. It's such a great song, but the moaning makes it sound dated and cheesy. At least it's not as bad as Mary saying, "Indescribably delicious," in the alternate version of High Energy.

I don't know what category this falls under, but whenever I play "In and Out of Love" I HAVE to do the hand gestures. "LOOK LOOK LOOKIN FOR LOVE", lol.

I also try and give Diana a run for her money on "Symphony", with all of my words ending with a dramatic and elongated "a". YOU'VE GIVEN ME A TRUE LOVE-A, AND EVERY DAY I THANK YOU LOVE-A.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there was a bar in atlanta called Mary's that did mary-oke sing along. he had the Motown version of a karaoke songs so he had the full 6 min version of Ain't No Mountain. the bar also had a mezzanine level and so I'd do Mountain and as it builds to the dramatic chorus, I'd slowly climb the stairs until i hit the top step overlooking the entire bar and sing "AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH!!!!!"

tore the roof off that motherfucker!!!!! heheheheheeh
    There is more to you then meets the written word sup. After how many tequilas did you normally do this?. I hope you never tripped on your feather boa.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-02-2021 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There is more to you then meets the written word sup. After how many tequilas did you normally do this?. I hope you never tripped on your feather boa.
    oh i could be stone sober and having just arrived from church. and could have STILL channeled Diana flawlessly!! but if i had me a few drinks, then watch out!!

the spoken passages just lend themselves so perfectly to the campiest queerest perofrmance lolol

one time for the middle spoken passage [[remember they were using the full album version of the song) when Diana say "I know, i know you must follow the sun..." i sauntered through the crowd and climbed up and sat on the end of the bar. lolol