[REMOVE ADS]

Where’s Mary Wilson’s cd UME?

Almost September and still no sign of the promised cd ……

Hey, if Nancy's Boots can get an 8-track release, I sure want one for Mary's solo album!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Hey, if Nancy's Boots can get an 8-track release, I sure want one for Mary's solo album!!!
    Me, too, thanxal! I don't know about an 8-Track version, but I'll sure take a CD release!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Me, too, thanxal! I don't know about an 8-Track version, but I'll sure take a CD release!
    Aw, cmon now P/MG... grow out those sideburns, put on those bell bottoms, and groove out the the whirring and clicking of a beautiful new 8-track as the tape gets wound round the spooler and self-destructs!!! LOL!

So none of us bought the digital release while waiting for the CD and this is not a young person's release so they didn't get the digital, so Universal hoped it would all silently go away perhaps.

Aw, cmon now P/MG... grow out those sideburns, put on those bell bottoms, and groove out the the whirring and clicking of a beautiful new 8-track as the tape gets wound round the spooler and self-destructs!!! LOL!
    Well, Al, I've gotta admit you've certainly sweetened the pot -- especially when considering the fact that 8-Track tapes would interrupt the middle of a song to change tracks! Decisions, decisions! Still, I think I'll stick with the CD! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    So none of us bought the digital release while waiting for the CD and this is not a young person's release so they didn't get the digital, so Universal hoped it would all silently go away perhaps.
    I think Universal begrudgingly released the digital release because Mary mentioned it on You Tube 2 days before she passed away. I downloaded all of her digital releases prior to this so I also downloaded it even though I had her 1979 release on vinyl. I know I read so many people say they weren't going for the digital download and were waiting for the CD. I think sales of the download didn't reflect the actual interest because it would appeal to an older audience who are not into digital releases. I also feel Universal is hoping it will silently go away. I am glad I downloaded it, some of the songs from the original LP are better than I remembered and I really enjoyed her 4 songs for her sophomore LP and her new song. It saddens me that this may be how it ends, with no physical CD release. I am such a positive person that I was hoping it would bring about even more like a release of Walk The Line and her Clarity CD, but Universal is probably not even going to release this on CD.

I’m willing to bet there were old school Supremes fans miffed in 1986 that 25th Anniversary didn’t come out on 8-track or that Diana’s Take Me Higher didn’t come out on vinyl in 1995. Formats come and go and in vinyl’s case occasionally come back again. We fans should try to graciously roll with it rather than just moan that our faves has been somehow slighted by having a physical release delayed. It’s not the grand conspiracy that I think gets into some fans heads. Andy, George, & Harry are well aware I’m sure of the desire to have a CD of Mary’s set. If anything, past experience has shown us all that even if we have to settle for downloads at first [[Funny Girl, Merry Xmas), the guys have gone back and added bonuses to the expanded editions that are always worth the wait. Perhaps we’ll get something great we didn’t know existed. In the meantime, just take the cover off of Mary’s book and have “Supreme Faith” until Universal gets her expanded edition out there in physical form.

Can’t we also still make our own CDs?

I have to admit my new vehicles don’t have CD players and I usually listen to Sirius and they’ve got many good channels with some fairly uncommonly played Motown and some other songs

Though your 'go away' theory is a tad conspiratorial for me I do think it points to a larger truth: the interest in the physical CD version is probably just not there. Hopefully for the Mary fans I'll be proven incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Though your 'go away' theory is a tad conspiratorial for me I do think it points to a larger truth: the interest in the physical CD version is probably just not there. Hopefully for the Mary fans I'll be proven incorrect.
    I think PNH is correct on this. Let's ask ourselves: how successful was the original release? Was it a smash hit? Why on earth would a company whose primary motivation is profit re-release anything at all from this album? They were likely being kind and gracious to Mary and the few remaining fans to have even considered it. If too few customers downloaded/paid for the album this spring, you would have to be nuts from a business perspective to re-release any physical media. I don't like this, but it tends to be the way companies operate.

I think PNH is correct on this. Let's ask ourselves: how successful was the original release? Was it a smash hit? Why on earth would a company whose primary motivation is profit re-release anything at all from this album? They were likely being kind and gracious to Mary and the few remaining fans to have even considered it. If too few customers downloaded/paid for the album this spring, you would have to be nuts from a business perspective to re-release any physical media. I don't like this, but it tends to be the way companies operate.
    And sadly, I bet you there weren't even a thousand downloads of the release.

I wouldn't call the digital release "begrudging". If it was "begrudging" I doubt Universal would have taken the time to get the rights to include "Why Can't We All Get along" or the 4 Drudgeon tracks on the release, nor remaster the original Mary Wilson album tracks and Red Hot remixes. Some time and effort was invested. But given that the album wasn't a hit at time of release and the disco songs on the album are largely 2nd rate at best, there was a limited market for it so it made sense to just be digital only as more cost efficient then manufacturing CDs.

I believe the guys that put the CD out were thrilled to be able to do it and did it with love and admiration for a former Supreme - especially when it wouldn't have been an obvious release

Mary fans can, perhaps, lobby Wounded Bird and Soul Music Records for a physical release.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I wouldn't call the digital release "begrudging". If it was "begrudging" I doubt Universal would have taken the time to get the rights to include "Why Can't We All Get along" or the 4 Drudgeon tracks on the release, nor remaster the original Mary Wilson album tracks and Red Hot remixes. Some time and effort was invested. But given that the album wasn't a hit at time of release and the disco songs on the album are largely 2nd rate at best, there was a limited market for it so it made sense to just be digital only as more cost efficient then manufacturing CDs.
    yet that dross by Scherrie & Susaye got a cd release

Mary fans can, perhaps, lobby Wounded Bird and Soul Music Records for a physical release.
    or maybe we should watch this space. ������

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    or maybe we should watch this space. 👏🏻😉
    I saw this on theseconddisc.com

Wow! A trio of new remixes of Mary Wilson’s 1979 disco single keeps the former Supreme’s memory alive, just a few months after a digital expanded edition of her sole Motown album was released on what would have been her 77th birthday. [[Fans should keep an eye on The Second Disc for more Mary Wilson news in the near future!)
    Love that last line!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    yet that dross by Scherrie & Susaye got a cd release
    Partners always seems quite highly spoken of but when it was released it was barely even noticed; Red Hot was never regarded as very good but got a lot more attention than Partners

The Second Disc is reliable so I do think the Mary fans have something good to look forward to!

The Second Disc is reliable so I do think the Mary fans have something good to look forward to!
    Joe is a great guy; like Andy and George, he really works hard to give the fans a quality product. If SD took on "Funny Girl", I'm sure they'd love to take on MW EE.

I don’t think universal is hoping it will all go away I don’t think they care one way or another. They did the digital download and didn’t exactly set the world on fire so why on earth would anyone expect them to make CDs? I would imagine that they don’t understand the thought process behind people wanting so much to have unreleased music get released but refused to buy it if it’s download only. So they might think we’re a bunch of nuts. I am not expecting a CD release, I hope for those that want one that it does materialize, but I can’t imagine it. Funny girl was 10 times the seller or 100 times the seller red hot was, and it didn’t get a CD And don’t even start about baby it’s me. I would rather have Reflections or let the sunshine in or alternate takes of country western pop or anything rather than red hot on CD but I don’t understand how the system works so, Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised and a deluxe 2 cd package will be on our doorstep’s in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t think universal is hoping it will all go away I don’t think they care one way or another. They did the digital download and didn’t exactly set the world on fire so why on earth would anyone expect them to make CDs? I would imagine that they don’t understand the thought process behind people wanting so much to have unreleased music get released but refused to buy it if it’s download only. So they might think we’re a bunch of nuts. I am not expecting a CD release, I hope for those that want one that it does materialize, but I can’t imagine it. Funny girl was 10 times the seller or 100 times the seller red hot was, and it didn’t get a CD And don’t even start about baby it’s me. I would rather have Reflections or let the sunshine in or alternate takes of country western pop or anything rather than red hot on CD but I don’t understand how the system works so, Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised and a deluxe 2 cd package will be on our doorstep’s in the morning!
    Lots of wisdom and truth, MM. I agree with you about Supremes releases vs solo lp's, but who am I to say? In The Business World there are many mitigating factors, so we will really never know why MW gets a cd and BIM does / did not. As was stated previously, it's not like the world at large was clamouring for Partners ... and Jerry Butler's The Spice of Life remains non-existent. What can I say? Be [somewhat) happy with what the official labels release and search un-official channels for what you want before time runs out!

I bought Mary's download and grew a new appreciation for her album as a result.

Universal is not in the business of releasing anything it does not believe it can get a return investment on. At this point it's apparent that they're not even always ready to get behind releases that would almost certainly turn a profit. Hence the fact that the 60th anniversary of the greatest female group in history is entering the autumn of it's celebration and crickets where Universal is concerned. Not even a new repackaged hits collection. So for Universal to even be interested in Mary's album prior to her passing says they believed there was public interest there. This latest tease from Second Disk suggests Mary's expanded edition may not have been the fail some are apparently guessing about. I'm not sure why there's a rush to conclude that nobody bought the EE of Mary's album because there is no physical cd. We're in the digital age. There may certainly be an initial desire to release things on both cd and digital, but the priority is usually digital. There are so many releases that potentially await us that IMO it would really be unnecessary to waste time on re-releasing Mary's EE on cd when we could just get something else entirely.

I'm choosing to believe that Mary's EE of her solo debut sold just fine in the absence of any evidence that suggests otherwise. I really don't understand the conversation that concludes nobody wanted the album and thusly no one downloaded it.

The fact that Eric Kupner remixes are being issued [[digitally and to clubs I suppose) shows that the project hasn't been abandoned. Just a shame Mary isn't alive as we know she'd be out there doing interviews and promoting it. I wonder if she were alive if she would have returned to concert performing or not this summer.

Whoopsie! Lol.

Doesn’t the upcoming Real Gone release more or less obsolete the need for the CD version of the solo LP? I haven’t compared the track listings, but how many different mixes of the same songs do we need?

I must say, the pettier part of me hopes that the new release way out sells this digital only release, and send a message to Universal that once again they’ve underestimated the fan base out there for Motown in general and Mary Wilson, specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Doesn’t the upcoming Real Gone release more or less obsolete the need for the CD version of the solo LP?
    That’s likely but only Andy or George could answer that definitively.