[REMOVE ADS]

Those 'MOUNTAIN HIGH' Song Lyrics

Had always thought Spector's 1966 RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH lyrics preceded Ashford and Simpson's AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH/Valley Low theme and likely inspired it, but hadn't thought about it much beyond that.

Was listening to I WILL FOLLOW HIM by Peggy March and realized the same "ocean deep, mountain high" idea was in those lyrics from 1963.

So there are likely other examples of this high/low metaphor being used in songs ??

Also
    interestingly, I WILL FOLLOW HIM's lyrics were applied to an already existing 1961, instrumental release :

the lyrics were developed by Arthur Altman with Norman Gimbel.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-29-2021 at 02:58 PM.

"The Mountain's High" by Dick & Deedee in 1961 starts with the lyric "The mountain's high and the valley's so deep, can't get across to the other side".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "The Mountain's High" by Dick & Deedee in 1961 starts with the lyric "The mountain's high and the valley's so deep, can't get across to the other side".
    By gosh I think you nailed it 144man. This was a big hit in 1961:
    [another discovered b-sider:]

Dick and Dee Dee [[or Dick and Deedee) is an American singer-songwriter duo that reached popularity in the early to mid-1960s. The group was founded by California classmates Richard Gosting and Mary Sperling. They eventually changed their names to Dick St. John and Dee Dee Sperling [[currently Dee Dee Phelps), respectively. They had their first hit in 1961 when "The Mountain's High" reached No. 2 on the Billboard 100.[1]
    The Mountain's High

The first Dick and Dee Dee 45 rpm release [["I Want Someone" backed by "The Mountain's High") was on Lama Records, a small company started by their record producers, the Wilder brothers and Don Ralke. Their recordings were created with four voice tracks. Each of them sang two separate harmony lines. St. John sang the highest and lowest parts including the falsetto, and Dee Dee sang the middle notes. Without telling the duo, the record producers changed Mary's name to Dee Dee, something the duo did not discover until after the record was released.[1][7]
    The rock and roll song "The Mountain's High" became a smash hit in San Francisco.[5] The single was leased to Liberty Records for national distribution[1][4] and spent two weeks at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100.[1] The track reached No. 37 in the UK Singles Chart,[1][2][3] and eventually sold over a million copies.[7] [5]

wiki

anything predate it ???

hold up !!!:

written by Broadway team:

• Bernie Hanighen
    • Raymond Scott
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-08-2021 at 12:29 PM.

I believe the "mountain high/valley low" theme originated with gospel music and spirituals. I'll leave it to others smarter than me to verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Also
    interestingly, I WILL FOLLOW HIM's lyrics were applied to an already existing 1961, instrumental release :

the lyrics were developed by Arthur Altman with Norman Gimbel.
    Well I just learned something. Never knew that I will follow him was originally a song called Chariot and that the lyrics of Chariot were entirely different. Learn something new here every day.

i googled the original french lyrics of Frank Pourcel's "Chariot" and then translated them. It is an entirely different song.

CHARIOT

Cart, cart, if you want me
    To accompany you at the end of the days
    Let me come near you
    On the great wagon of wood and canvas
    We will go away
    On the side where we will see the light of day
    In the first reflections of the sky
    Before the heat of the sun
    Under the last star
    The plain, the plain, the plain
    Will no longer have a border