[REMOVE ADS]

The Five Stairsteps' SECOND LP Titled 'Stairsteps'

From the blog The Second Disc we learn that the 5's 1971 lp Stairsteps is now on streaming platforms. This is the second lp of the 5's with the same title, this being not-the-one-with Ooh Child. But it's a killer of a majestic lp from an 'under-hitted' group and I recommend a listen. Here's a randomly chosen cut -

That was/is a great release by the much beloved and often forgotten family group. One of the things that enjoyed most about it was that Alohe got to sing lead on the complete
    song I Love You, Stop instead of just opening lyrics. I can't prove it but the song itself
    always sounded like The Stairsteps response to the breakout of The Jackson 5...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    That was/is a great release by the much beloved and often forgotten family group. One of the things that enjoyed most about it was that Alohe got to sing lead on the complete
    song I Love You, Stop instead of just opening lyrics. I can't prove it but the song itself
    always sounded like The Stairsteps response to the breakout of The Jackson 5...
    That's great info, Splanky. I did notice a change in lead but not knowing much about the group other than the huge hit I don't know the members' names, etc. This is a really great release to have discovered - I always love hearing excellent, full lp's by groups I really only know as single-artists. And I think your J5 theory has some veracity!

I would like to hear more from this group, who were obviously very talented. The track above doesn't do much for me, and it definitely sounds like it was "inspired" by the Jacksons.

I always liked this one, which I think is the Stairstep Dad singing lead on this song which is familiar to Dionne Warwick fans. I love the singer's straightforward, earnest delivery.

I grew up listening to this group so naturally my perspective of the evolution of there
    sound is going to be different. I was quite fond of their Curtis Mayfield produced material,
    their early Impressions covers. Behind Curtains. I Made A Mistake.Still their biggest success
    came later with the classic Ooh Child which I still love. Snow off that release Peace first
    mentioned still sounds good to me....

I can hear Jermaine singing Peace Is Gonna Come. The song would fit him perfectly.