[REMOVE ADS]

This Is The Story - Supremes box set

Is it too late to acquire a copy of the box set, it has been out of print for many years now and the only copy I have seen is on Ebay selling for a ridiculous price. I do have a boot leg copy of this set, which I play a lot, but the sound quality is poor and of course you don’t get the original packaging with the booklet.
    I did buy the second set, “Let Yourself Go” when released in 2011 so would like a copy of “This Is The Story” to compliment the set.

I am appealing to members off this forum to let me know is there are any second-hand stores or websites from which I could acquire a copy of this set at a reasonable price. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

It is a "Hip-O-Select" limited edition compilation so it won't be reissued, and nearly all of every issue sells very quickly. Most of all Hip-O-Select issues & not just Motown, increase substantially over time.

However there are four sets for sale on Discogs and they are not cheap.

And this thread should be in the DRATS forum

I got my copy shortly before it sold out, because so many other releases went out of print around the same time. I was concerned the same would happen with “This Is The Story”, and I was right. Finding a copy at a reasonable price now is like finding a baritone DeBarge.

You'll need luck to find a used copy at a reasonable price now.

I think this was released in 2006. It was still readily available when I bought mine in 2009 but by 2011 it was sold out:
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...s-Is-The-Story

It looks like someone paid $250 for a used copy in "good" condition two weeks ago on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29432891838...evt=1&mkcid=28

I have had luck with a few hard-to-find titles on Amazon, as occasionally some third party seller just wants to offload a used copy without holding out for top dollar.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-30-2021 at 05:28 AM.

One just sold on UK eBay last week for £90 which I think was a bargain.

PS. I have sent you a message Masterblaster.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Is it too late to acquire a copy of the box set, it has been out of print for many years now and the only copy I have seen is on Ebay selling for a ridiculous price. I do have a boot leg copy of this set, which I play a lot, but the sound quality is poor and of course you don’t get the original packaging with the booklet.
    I did buy the second set, “Let Yourself Go” when released in 2011 so would like a copy of “This Is The Story” to compliment the set.

I am appealing to members off this forum to let me know is there are any second-hand stores or websites from which I could acquire a copy of this set at a reasonable price. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Check used records stores. I found 2 for $25/piece in Austin Texas.

Antone's Record Shop
    2928 Guadalupe Austin, TX 78705
    Tel # [[512) 322-0660
    https://warehouse.antonesrecordshop.com/AdvancedSearch?search_term=the%20supremes&submit=S earch
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 08-29-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Check used records stores. I found 2 for $25/piece in Austin Texas.

Antone's Record Shop
    2928 Guadalupe Austin, TX 78705
    Tel # [[512) 322-0660
    https://warehouse.antonesrecordshop.com/AdvancedSearch?search_term=the%20supremes&submit=S earch
    Thankyou for that, have searched the site but get no results, have they been snapped up since your message?

Thankyou for that, have searched the site but get no results, have they been snapped up since your message?
    I bought them. There are several used record stores in Austin. Good luck. If I see another one I will let you know. I never thought this product would be so valuable post release.

Here ya go:
    https://themusicshopandmore.com/the-...2006-3-cd-set/
    Says $38.63; hope it is a real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Here ya go:
    https://themusicshopandmore.com/the-...2006-3-cd-set/
    Says $38.63; hope it is a real deal.
    This is a bootleg version that comes in a jewel case. I don't know how that website hasn't been shut down yet.

masterblaster, where are you located? What price frame were you looking for? I'm happy to help you search.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This is a bootleg version that comes in a jewel case. I don't know how that website hasn't been shut down yet.
    I bought the 'Where Did Our Love Go" box set from there. No box...jewel case
    and nothing else, really. The sound quality was poor. I'd not do that again.

The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go [[EXPANDED EDITION) [[1964) 2 CD SET - The Music Shop And More

I had to wait a couple of months as he was sick at the time. If you read his facebook
    he hasn't posted since last April. So, not sure what's up there?
    The Music Shop And More - Home | Facebook
    Last edited by lakeside; 08-31-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Thank you to all forum members who responded to this thread, your collective thoughts and advice have been most welcome.
    Thank you also to Carlo who put me in touch with Second Chance Records in Ontario, Canada where a copy was located for £100 including postage. The vender was really helpful and even mailed me a video showing the condition of the box set.

I had given up hope of getting a copy of this item and turned to you for help, it certainly paid off, Thanks for Soulful Detroit.

Also, apologies for posting on the wrong forum, i’ll take more care next time.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 08-31-2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling glich

Glad that you have a copy on its way

Good for you masterblaster! I hope you enjoy this box set as much as I have. It's a
    gem.

My pleasure, masterblaster! Glad to hear that you ended up making the purchase. This particular box set is my favourite Hip-O Select release. I know you will love it