[REMOVE ADS]

THE TOP 10 ALBUMS BY THE SUPREMES [[with DIANA ROSS)

Thought you all might like to read this and look at the amazing pictures.

Question: In one of the pictures for "More Hits By The Supremes",the 3rd picture after the album cover, Florence is wearing a different dress than Diana and Mary. Is there an explanation why?

https://ianphillipssite.wordpress.co...th-diana-ross/

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Question: In one of the pictures for "More Hits By The Supremes",the 3rd picture after the album cover, Florence is wearing a different dress than Diana and Mary. Is there an explanation why?
    The photo was taken at a dress rehearsal for the tv show HULLABALOO. They were probably trying to decide which dress to go with for broadcast. They ended up wearing the ones that D and M had on.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The photo was taken at a dress rehearsal for the tv show HULLABALOO. They were probably trying to decide which dress to go with for broadcast. They ended up wearing the ones that D and M had on.

Thanks! I knew someone here would have the answer.

the dress has appeared in a few more photos now. they were a light lavender. there's a pic of them on stage [[maybe at Michigan St Fair?) in summer 65 wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Thanks! I knew someone here would have the answer.
    You knew someone here would have the answer. Stop it. Just say it: You knew Reese would have the answer. At this point, Reese might as well have his own sub forum of this sub forum where we just post our questions about everything and sit back and wait for him to answer. I have some meaning of life questions that I'm just dying for him to answer.

According to the reviewer:

" ‘Goin’ Down For The Third Time’. This was originally recorded by Martha & The Vandellas and is indeed far closer to their earthier style than that of the swinging Supremes. Diana’s unusually gritty performance exceeds all.”

Is this indeed accurate? If so, is it still in the vaults?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You knew someone here would have the answer. Stop it. Just say it: You knew Reese would have the answer. At this point, Reese might as well have his own sub forum of this sub forum where we just post our questions about everything and sit back and wait for him to answer. I have some meaning of life questions that I'm just dying for him to answer.
    I draw the line at those!

I draw the line at those!
    I tend to agree with Ran in that you are extremely conversant in all things Motown and Supremes related reese.
    You could start charging by the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I tend to agree with Ran in that you are extremely conversant in all things Motown and Supremes related reese.
    You could start charging by the question.
    Thanks for the good thoughts. It is nice to have a place to discuss such things.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post

" ‘Goin’ Down For The Third Time’. This was originally recorded by Martha & The Vandellas and is indeed far closer to their earthier style than that of the swinging Supremes. Diana’s unusually gritty performance exceeds all.”

I read this in a book many years ago and always assumed it to be true, but the truth is that I haven't seen it corroborated by anyone who would know for a fact. It's possible that the song was originally assigned to Martha and the Vandellas. Would be real interesting if there is an unreleased version. Would love to hear their take on it.

I read this in a book many years ago and always assumed it to be true, but the truth is that I haven't seen it corroborated by anyone who would know for a fact. It's possible that the song was originally assigned to Martha and the Vandellas. Would be real interesting if there is an unreleased version. Would love to hear their take on it.
    It would be nice to hear Martha tackle this one. In the same vein, I would love to hear the Supremes do ONE WAY OUT.

I thought I read that it was intended for MR&V but HDH decided to try it with The Supremes, liked what they heard and left it at that.

Thank you, johnjeb, reese and RanRan79, for responding!

Just dug out the booklet for “The Supremes Sing H-D-H [[Expanded) and found this:

Going Down For The Third Time. Track cut June 1, 1966, assigned to the Elgins. Anyone as surprised as I am?

It would be nice to hear Martha tackle this one. In the same vein, I would love to hear the Supremes do ONE WAY OUT.
    Agreed. Isn't "One Way Out" the one where the Supremes were erased but if you isolate the vocals, Diana's lead still bleeds through? I wonder if there's anyway for the guys to do something with that.

Just dug out the booklet for “The Supremes Sing H-D-H [[Expanded) and found this:

Going Down For The Third Time. Track cut June 1, 1966, assigned to the Elgins. Anyone as surprised as I am?
    Absolutely, because I can't hear the Elgins doing this one at all. Very surprising.

Agreed. Isn't "One Way Out" the one where the Supremes were erased but if you isolate the vocals, Diana's lead still bleeds through? I wonder if there's anyway for the guys to do something with that.
    I recall reading and/or hearing this scenario at some point. Not sure if it was confirmed.

Fun read and some great photos! And there’s this:

A mono mix of ‘You’ve Been So Wonderful To Me’ was released on the compilation Motown Delights.”

Is this accurate and is that mix available on CD elsewhere? Is that what’s on Playlist Plus?

I recall reading and/or hearing this scenario at some point. Not sure if it was confirmed.
    Just checked the A Go-Go booklet. It's in the trivia section.