1971 seemed to be a year that was pretty much up & down for both Diana Ross and for the new Supremes.
Diana Ross had 3 singles released.Reach Out I'll Be There [[#29),Surrender[[#38) and I'm Still Waiting [[#63). That was surprisingly spotty chart action for someone that Motown was 1000% behind, perhaps the focus was making Lady Sings The Blues.
The New Supremes had 3 releases and another with the Four Tops-Nathan Jones [[#16), Touch [[#71) and Floy Joy[[#16). With the 4 Tops they had You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart [[#55). Granted Floy Joy was very late 71 and went into 1972, it seemed they were not on tv promoting these songs like Up The Ladder [[#10),Everybody[[#21) and Stoned Love[[#7). I think with Cindy ready to leave, touring and the inability to recreate these songs live made them not promote like they did in 1970. In 1971, their chart action also became spotty.
I was wondering if there were thoughts behind why 1971 seemed to be such an up & down year on the charts for both Diana Ross and the New Supremes. Any thoughts?