[REMOVE ADS]

Live At London's Talk of the Town Anniversary

This album was released on this day in 1968. For reasons only Motown can explain [[or can they?), the Supremes once again released two albums on the same day. The Talk of the Town album was the more successful of the two. Not a favorite of mine, and I don't play it much at all. But one song I really love on the album is "In and Out of Love". I think it might be the best live version of the song. IMO the Supremes' best live albums went unreleased.

Is this album a fav of yours? If so, why? If not, why not? Any standout performances?

It took the longest time for me to find a copy of this album and when I did, it was such a weird experience.

There were two used record stores, about five minutes apart, that I used to frequent. I had gone to the first store and was looking through some old Motown 45s. I came across one of those sleeves with the album covers on it and there was one with LATOTT on it. It sounds weird but while looking at it, I just knew that when I went to the next store, I would find the album. Long story short, I did find it there and for only $3.99 to boot.

Weird story aside, the album is a favorite of mine. Diana is in top notch form throughout and I enjoy the live versions of the hits as well as the standards. In particular, I liked LOVE IS HERE..., YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON, THE HAPPENING [which I had never heard live before] as well as the MICHELLE/YESTERDAY and MILLIE/ROSE/MAME medleys.

About the only complaint I have is that they edited UNCHAINED MELODY out of the opening medley [probably for time].
    Last edited by reese; 08-26-2021 at 11:22 AM.

I think Diana always sounded consistently good when performing the song live. The “TOTT” concert being a particularly smooth version. I don’t play the album much, but Diana is in good voice throughout with Mary and Cindy providing more then adequate backup.
    Regarding the synonymous album releases. Perhaps Motown was hedging it’s bets, hoping to score with at least one hit album.

One of my favorites! Diana is slick and Cindy and especially Mary kill on bg's. There's a clip floating of IN AND OUT OF LOVE from around the same time and it is STELLAR. I think Mary at her literal best.

My one criticism would be every last detail was so scripted. There's other live performances out there that are nearly identical to TOTT. It clearly was a tight show, but goodness, wouldn't you want to switch it up every once in a while?

I have always loved this album. When a music store was closing, I found two copies on CD and bought them both. I transferred one to my computer and the other is still wrapped, I believe. Still not sure why I bought both copies!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    One of my favorites! Diana is slick and Cindy and especially Mary kill on bg's. There's a clip floating of IN AND OUT OF LOVE from around the same time and it is STELLAR. I think Mary at her literal best.

My one criticism would be every last detail was so scripted. There's other live performances out there that are nearly identical to TOTT. It clearly was a tight show, but goodness, wouldn't you want to switch it up every once in a while?
    Maybe it would have been nice to have some alternates. But those girls were under so much pressure, it was probably best to maintain consistency and get the job done.

Of the 3 official live Supremes albums, this is my favorite. Good set list and performances. Farewell a close second but subtract points for Let the Sunshine In though I appreciate it as well, but sometimes I skip it when I play it. Copa is alright, but Talk and Farewell are more polished and better integrate the hits with the show room material.

It is a very good live performance by Diana Ross and the Supremes.
    Last edited by jobucats; 08-28-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Diana, Mary and Cindy are in peak form here. My only criticism is that there's an overzealous trumpeter marring the ending of nearly every song with his insane trills.
    #nailsonachalkboard

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I have always loved this album. When a music store was closing, I found two copies on CD and bought them both. I transferred one to my computer and the other is still wrapped, I believe. Still not sure why I bought both copies!
    There must definitely be some sort of psychological/behavioural science to explain the actions of collectors. I have also bought two copies of an album, multiple times, over the years.

Enjoying reading the memories and stories expressed here.

This album used to be a favourite of mine as well. I am not sure if I would still consider it a favourite or not, as it's strangely been quite some time since I've listened to it. The cover image in and of itself radiates pure electricity and Supreme energy! I know that I tended to love the frantic and intense pacing of the various songs and medleys on this album, paired with the strong background vocals, particularly from Mary. Diana's regular hiccuping still to this day makes me curious as to what she was thinking at the time, in choosing to use this interesting vocal styling lol.

loved it,wanted more hits and less show tunes.
    not sure why they released 2 albums on the same day, again.i would have maybe combined songs from Funny Girls on the live set and dropped the FG album.no need for it.love Coronet Man

I love this Diana Ross album Supremes