[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye promo acetate CDRs

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any Marvin Gaye promo acetate CDRs - just looking to see what's actually out there.....

Some samples below:

What's Going On - Super Deluxe
    I Want You - Deluxe
    What's Going On - 10'' Vinyl

Name:  MG.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  93.5 KB

Also, does anyone know which Hip-O Select releases had promo's?

This was not a Hip-O-Select release so I don't know if this counts. I have no HOS releases with promo's. The only one I have in my collection is the 2000 release [off pink box] that includes a Box Set Sampler with 8 songs included and a separate CD An Evening With the Supremes with 12 songs included.

This is not exclusively Marvin Gaye, but he is included in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25482597910...8AAOSwPk5f8-im

...here's an interesting Tower Records Motown Sampler CD where Marvin is featured ...released in 2000...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Towe...U6MjU0Njc4NTA=

Grape

Can a Cd be an acetate? Or are we talking about acetates transferred to Cd?

Sure, the term acetate is slightly misleading [[as obviously not related to the material on which they are pressed) but is often what these CDs are referred to as; more based on function. [[Typically produced in limited quantities for advanced listening or promotional purposes, commonly not marked promo, and more recently watermarked to trace to a given recipient). Some are produced in extremely limited numbers others in greater volumes, the former generally for internal distribution and the latter for more broader promo usage!

Today many record companies don’t press such items, rather generate a share a URL link to selected individuals for advanced listening.

Nothing to do with acetate records being duped to CD.

Perhaps it's also because these are CD-Rs, which are burned onto blank discs, as opposed to properly manufactured audio CDs which are quite different and more durable. But it seems like calling it a "promotional CD-R" [or just a "CD-R" if it's not for promotional purposes] would suffice.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-25-2021 at 09:48 AM.