[REMOVE ADS]

Why "Thank You" didn't chart in U.K.?

I wonder why Thank You didn't chart in the Official Singles charts in U.K.??

The song was a Top 3 or even a #1 hit in some BBC radio stations. Is it possible to chart in the official chart?

Simple answer, it did not sell and was never going to. The Top 100 singles chart is based upon physical sales, paid-for downloads and streaming. It's the kids who buy what's in the chart 99% of which is alien to me. I would think that the album will chart albeit briefly as she's not going to be in the UK to promote it.

I have to agree with Copely. It's great that the single got some radio play, but the averaged age person who is consuming the singles that get on the Top 100 charts nowadays is as likely to be interested in a Diana Ross single in 2011 as I would have been interested in a new Vic Damone single in 1969. I love Thank You and regardless of sales it has been my go-to summer song of 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Simple answer, it did not sell and was never going to. The Top 100 singles chart is based upon physical sales, paid-for downloads and streaming. It's the kids who buy what's in the chart 99% of which is alien to me. I would think that the album will chart albeit briefly as she's not going to be in the UK to promote it.
    Probably a reason why the album release got pushed back to early November so the kids have a CD to buy for their grandparent for Christmas. Between that and dedicated fan base that she has the album will likely chart well in November and December.

no one from that era has hit singles.. Madonna and Mariah no longer have hit singles.. and to really bring it home, GaGa is beyond the point of charting a hit single.. welcome to the Pop Music Business.

The weekly charts used to be an important part of my life. Now no one I know listens to them or cares about them any more. I don't even know at what time they're broadcast.

well apparently the young folks do or they wouldn't still do it, but these days charting and #1 holds no gravity whatsoever, it was all so important for me in the 1960's, every Tuesday night writing down the NYC 77WABC AM Weekly Countdown Cousin Brucie [[who wound up being the first celebrity that I ever interviewd for a publication in 1970).. Beatles vs. Supremes for #1 was a thing from 1964 right through till the end of 1969.. and all the other good stuff.. it was exciting because we didn't have internet, MTV and cable, no DVDs, not even video cassettes yet, nothing.. which made everything all the more magical.. these days its a case of too much is TOO MUCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    well apparently the young folks do or they wouldn't still do it, but these days charting and #1 holds no gravity whatsoever, it was all so important for me in the 1960's, every Tuesday night writing down the NYC 77WABC AM Weekly Countdown Cousin Brucie [[who wound up being the first celebrity that I ever interviewd for a publication in 1970).. Beatles vs. Supremes for #1 was a thing from 1964 right through till the end of 1969.. and all the other good stuff.. it was exciting because we didn't have internet, MTV and cable, no DVDs, not even video cassettes yet, nothing.. which made everything all the more magical.. these days its a case of too much is TOO MUCH!!
    I remember, and I agree. I can recall a conversation I had decades ago in the early years of VHS releases. A friend thought it so great that she was able to view A Charlie Brown Christmas on VHS whenever she wanted. So be it. Yet, my response was [[and is) that when we had to plan to watch a TV special [[or even weekly series), we were SURE to have our schedules cleared for the time slot. It would be a truly special occasion, even if a weekly MTM episode. But ... times move on.