[REMOVE ADS]

Vandellas on Mike Douglas show - questions

Thank you very much to whoever discovered the full footage of Martha and the Vandellas appearance on the Mike Douglas show performing Heatwave, Canadian Sunset, and My Baby Loves Me - it really is stunningly good quality, and such a strong showing for Martha, Betty and Roz. It has prompted a few questions in my mind which I wondered if anyone could help me with please.

First, what's the date of this appearance? I think sometime in 1966, as Martha introduces My Baby Loves Me as their newest single. But when in 1966? and where was the Mike Douglas Show broadcast from?

What is the story behind this appearance? It is clear that Martha and the ladies were rushed in to appear unexpectedly because....of what? Maybe bad weather prevented the sheduled guests from getting to the studio? Mike says something like "we're stacked up here" - but what does that mean? Snowbound? Martha says they haven't had time to rehearse? Why?

Finally, the song Canadian Sunset was new to me, but it's great and they perform it so well. A rare example of Martha and the Vandellas doing close harmonies. Does anybody know how they came to perform that song on Mike Douglas? Did they ever record it? It's strange, because if my guess at the date was right, 1966 was when they recorded their Live! album, with many items that they didn't record in the studio, but not this particular song. I've never heard of them performing it before, or since. Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks - keep well and safe!
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 08-23-2021 at 08:35 AM.

As MY BABY LOVES ME was released in January of 1966, I'm assuming the appearance took place early that winter.

The Mike Douglas Show was taping in Philadelphia by the time of this appearance. The girls were performing in New Jersey which isn't that far away. Perhaps they were delayed because of weather so they didn't get a chance to rehearse. Or maybe they were rushed in because another act cancelled.

I'm assuming CANADIAN SUNSET was part of the girls' repertoire at the time. As with most of the other Motown acts, the Vandellas' performances consisted of their hits as well as standards, part of Berry's plan to make them accessible to both the youth market but also to the adults who went to Vegas, the Copa, and the like. When the acts appeared on tv, they would often do a standard as well as a hit. I don't know if the girls ever recorded it but it wouldn't be a surprise if they did.

The Vandellas' LIVE album was recorded in 1967, seemingly the summer as you can hear Martha intro their latest release LOVE BUG..., which was released that August.

Sorry I don't have more definitive answers.

Last edited by reese; 08-23-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Thank you Reese. Very helpful, and of course you're absolutely right about the recording of the Live! album - about 18 months after this performance.

I should also have remarked how beautiful all three looked on this show, but especially Martha - slim, chic, elegant and charming.

In another thread on this appearance, someone posted that the airdate was 10/5/66.

At first, since MY BABY LOVES ME was the most recent hit, that airdate seemed rather late to me. But listening closely, Martha says MBLM isn't their most recent release so 10/5/66 might be correct.

Yes the youtube poster of the shorter video wrote that it was October 5, 1966, and it does seem that Martha & The Vandellas were on that show:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8380408/

That listing also states that Earl Wrightson and Lois Hunt were co-hosts and you can see them at the beginning of the video. Ralph Pope is listed as a guest and at the end of the video you can see, "Next - Ralph Pope." So that does seem to be the show and, unless imdb has the wrong date [which is possible] that seems to be the date.

Martha says it isn't their newest single, and as their next single was released on March 8, 1966 ["What Am I Going To Do Without Your Love"] it was presumably after that date.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-24-2021 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Yes the youtube poster of the shorter video wrote that it was October 5, 1966, and it does seem that Martha & The Vandellas were on that show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8380408/

That listing also states that Earl Wrightson and Lois Hunt were co-hosts and you can see them at the beginning of the video. Ralph Pope is listed as a guest and at the end of the video you can see, "Next - Ralph Pope." So that does seem to be the show and, unless imdb has the wrong date [which is possible] that seems to be the date.

Martha says it isn't their newest single, and as their next single was released on March 8, 1966 ["What Am I Going To Do Without Your Love"] it was presumably after that date.
    Given the date, I'm surprised that they didn't do I'M READY FOR LOVE as it was released on 10/6/66, but they might not have prepared a routine for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Given the date, I'm surprised that they didn't do I'M READY FOR LOVE as it was released on 10/6/66, but they might not have prepared a routine for it yet.
    That is a bit surprising. As they were already performing in New Jersey, one would think that they would have included their upcoming single in their set list - in concert and on tv - in order to promote it.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-24-2021 at 08:06 AM.

In that video, Douglas mentions that no planes could land at the airport and says something about being "socked in". I wasn't familiar with that expression but found that it refers to an airport being closed by bad weather, with the term probably originating from reference to the wind sock.

Just googling the NY Times for Oct 5, 1966, I found: "STORM COLLIDES WITH WALL OF AIR; then veers west, following path of least resistance". I can't read more than the headline and first sentence without paying, but the story is about Hurricane Inez.

The eye of Inez never went further north than the southern tip of Florida but it was a big hurricane. There could have been enough rain and wind to prevent air travel in Philadelphia, though apparently not so much to stop people from driving.

Seems like some planned guests couldn't make it due to the airport closure so Martha and The Vandellas, along with their touring band The Kinfolk, drove in from New Jersey, where they had been performing.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-24-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Brilliant detective work Calvin! This begins to make more sense now, although the issue of I'm Ready For Love remains a puzzle. Socked in - a new expression for me! A great video though and worth treasuring.