[REMOVE ADS]

Earth, Wind & Fire Bring ‘September’ to NYC ‘Homecoming’ Concert

One day after releasing their reimagined version of “You Want My Love,” beloved funk-soul group Earth, Wind and Fire hit the Central Park stage with Babyface and R&B singer Lucky Daye to perform the song live at New York’s We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert.
    “This project has been fantastic to work on,” Babyface said earlier this week. “We really wanted to bring a tremendous, iconic song that is unmistakably Earth, Wind & Fire into the contemporary world of Lucky Daye. The goal was to create a reimagined version of this classic song that reflects Lucky’s unique voice and musical style, while still honoring the original.”

"You Want My Love"
    https://youtu.be/m2sM5z8YMXY

"September"
    https://youtu.be/dhEeCexGS48

I think Maurice White, were he still here, have a thing or two to say about his "classic song"
    being mis-titled with the opening lyrics...I would have thought Phillip and Verdine could
    have schooled Babyface on that. I guess I could be happy that the music still is legendary...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I think Maurice White, were he still here, have a thing or two to say about his "classic song"
    being mis-titled with the opening lyrics...I would have thought Phillip and Verdine could
    have schooled Babyface on that. I guess I could be happy that the music still is legendary...
    Let's not forget that when EWF recorded "Can't Hide Love" in 1975 for the Gratitude LP, it was a remake & they changed the title of the song themselves. The song was written by Skip Scarborugh, the original version was by Creative Source and it was originally titled "You Can't Hide Love" when it was released in 1973. So, Maurice White might've been cool with the whole thing if he were still with us.

Yea, you're probably right...Maurice let a lot of stuff slide over his last years...It's just
    me being such a prude about the group's legacy...

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Let's not forget that when EWF recorded "Can't Hide Love" in 1975 for the Gratitude LP, it was a remake & they changed the title of the song themselves. The song was written by Skip Scarborugh, the original version was by Creative Source and it was originally titled "You Can't Hide Love" when it was released in 1973. So, Maurice White might've been cool with the whole thing if he were still with us.

Yep, it’s reminiscent of “Love’s Holiday,” which, in demo form, was entitled “Would You Mind.” Many refer to it that way to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yep, it’s reminiscent of “Love’s Holiday,” which, in demo form, was entitled “Would You Mind.” Many refer to it that way to this day.
    That wouldn't be suspect to me because it's the result of an actual decision change by
    the group itself but it's still different recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRUX_3DzyM

What has become quite common on sites like youtube is people posting audio under
    mis-labeled titles and sometimes under the wrong artist name. I use the web to do a lot
    of music research and this irks me to no end....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    That wouldn't be suspect to me because it's the result of an actual decision change by
    the group itself but it's still different recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRUX_3DzyM

What has become quite common on sites like youtube is people posting audio under
    mis-labeled titles and sometimes under the wrong artist name. I use the web to do a lot
    of music research and this irks me to no end....
    I hear ya. Drives me batty as well. There’s a mislabeled YouTube video that’s gotten millions of views over the years entitled “Curtis Mayfield—Diamond in the Back.” You already know—of course it’s William DeVaughn’s “Be Thankful for What You Got.” Grrrrrrr…