[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    69

    Marvin's Other Anthems

    The NBA All Star Game is by far my favorite version [[even above Whitney Houston's)

    Marvin sang the anthem at least 3 times before that






  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,873
    Rep Power
    206
    I'd never heard the 74 and 68 versions before. Old as I am, that's a shame...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,144
    Rep Power
    139
    What about his biggest and best anthem?



    [[I realise this is not a particularly helpful contribution to the thread ]]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    151
    Ironic that Marvin was the biggest critic of Jose Feliciano when in 68 Jose sang the first nationally broadcast version of the anthem sung in a non-traditional manner [[a couple days after Marvin sang a VERY traditional version)... So many years [[and anthem styles) later, Marvin preforms a non-traditional version touted as one of the most popular anthems ever performed at a sporting event...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Ironic that Marvin was the biggest critic of Jose Feliciano when in 68 Jose sang the first nationally broadcast version of the anthem sung in a non-traditional manner [[a couple days after Marvin sang a VERY traditional version)... So many years [[and anthem styles) later, Marvin preforms a non-traditional version touted as one of the most popular anthems ever performed at a sporting event...
    Please Someone post that "non traditional version" with the Marine Band.
    It is the most fantastic national anthem ever performed anywhere worldwide.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmaninthethirdrow View Post
    Please Someone post that "non traditional version" with the Marine Band.
    It is the most fantastic national anthem ever performed anywhere worldwide.


    The videos I found all had talking over the opening, this has no talking [other than the announcer in the arena] but is audio only:

    Last edited by calvin; 08-21-2021 at 07:10 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Ironic that Marvin was the biggest critic of Jose Feliciano when in 68 Jose sang the first nationally broadcast version of the anthem sung in a non-traditional manner [[a couple days after Marvin sang a VERY traditional version)... So many years [[and anthem styles) later, Marvin preforms a non-traditional version touted as one of the most popular anthems ever performed at a sporting event...
    Ernie Harwell, who did play-by-play for the Detroit Tigers on the radio for so many years, said that he was asked by the general manager of the Tigers to pick singers to perform the national anthem for the three games scheduled in Detroit. He chose Margaret Whiting, a pop and country singer born in Detroit [game 3], Marvin Gaye [game 4], and Jose Feliciano [game 5].

    Harwell said that when he presented these names to the Tigers organization, he was told to ask Marvin if he would do it "straight." He asked and Marvin agreed. Harwell didn't ask Feliciano.

    If Harwell had not asked, might Marvin have done it at least a little less "straight"?



    Harwell defended Feliciano's performance and took a lot of flak for it. The performance and controversy made Feliciano much more famous, some sources say it helped his career while others say it was damaging. A recording of Feliciano's anthem went to #50 on the Billboard Hot 100.

    Following Harwell's death in 2010, the Tigers scheduled a tribute to him before a game. Jose Feliciano sang the national anthem.

    Last edited by calvin; 08-19-2021 at 05:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Ironic that Marvin was the biggest critic of Jose Feliciano when in 68 Jose sang the first nationally broadcast version of the anthem sung in a non-traditional manner [[a couple days after Marvin sang a VERY traditional version)... So many years [[and anthem styles) later, Marvin preforms a non-traditional version touted as one of the most popular anthems ever performed at a sporting event...
    I wonder how much of the criticism was really jealousy that Feliciano was free to put his own spin on it and Marvin wasn't

    Maybe Marvin was thinking of how he would have performed it if given the leeway

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    I wonder how much of the criticism was really jealousy that Feliciano was free to put his own spin on it and Marvin wasn't

    Maybe Marvin was thinking of how he would have performed it if given the leeway
    Yes I was wondering the same, that's why I posted that above. Not that Marvin would have wanted to do anything as "radical" [for the time] as Feliciano, but maybe he would have liked to add a little more soul?

    Just to be clear, my impression from Harwell was not that he gave leeway to Feliciano but that Feliciano took it. Harwell, I think, was expecting a "straight" performance. After all, prior to this, everyone had done it straight at such big, nationally-televised events.

    I think the controversy probably helped Feliciano. He had a hit record but was still relatively unknown, this performance changed that. The people against his performance were probably not the type that would have bought his records or gone to his concerts anyway.

    Marvin, on the other hand, was an established artist and didn't need all the controversy that a "radical" performance would have brought at that time.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-19-2021 at 06:23 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Yes I was wondering the same, that's why I posted that above. Not that Marvin would have wanted to do anything as "radical" [for the time] as Feliciano, but maybe he would have liked to add a little more soul?

    Just to be clear, my impression from Harwell was not that he gave leeway to Feliciano but that Feliciano took it. Harwell, I think, was expecting a "straight" performance. After all, prior to this, everyone had done it straight at such big, nationally-televised events.

    I think the controversy probably helped Feliciano. He had a hit record but was still relatively unknown, this performance changed that. The people against his performance were probably not the type that would have bought his records or gone to his concerts anyway.

    Marvin, on the other hand, was an established artist and didn't need all the controversy that a "radical" performance would have brought at that time.


    Calvin

    Thank you! It still sends tingles up and down my spine.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmaninthethirdrow View Post
    Calvin

    Thank you! It still sends tingles up and down my spine.
    No worries. I have that 4-cd set "The Master", with the anthem, as an "ear book" - the cds come in a large book with lots of great photos. Not sure if that's the only way that set was issued. There are a few pictures here:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvin-Gaye...9482770&sr=8-5
    Last edited by calvin; 08-21-2021 at 06:58 AM.

  12. #12
    I didn't know Marvin did other anthems in the late 60s and early 70s and I've been a fan of his since Moods Of Marvin Gaye [[my favourite record of his)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.