[REMOVE ADS]

The Misunderstood Talent of Gladys Knight

There is a very nice article in THE NEW YORKER about Gladys and the Pips saying that they have always been more beloved by fans than by music historians, but they are essential to the evolution of soul.

Great read for fans of GK&P

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...-gladys-knight

Good article about Gladys Knight & The Pips. Whatever point about the group that was missed by the music historians [and GK&TP have been inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame so enough of the critics were impressed by them] have Not been missed by the fans of their work.

Nice to see Gladys getting some recognition. A voice like hers comes along once in a lifetime.

Great read, indeed and Motown Eddie's comments are so true....

Thanks. I definitely don't think GK&TP's get enough props at all. Them and the Isley Brothers.

One of the greatest LIVE groups ever.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    One of the greatest LIVE groups ever.
    I encourage you all to check out the raw power of GK&TP on Mr. Soul. [[early 70s ep) The Pips
    steps were mesmerizing! On YouTube.

Sorry about that. Mr. Soul was a recent doc about Soul! creator/host. And the NY references the ep the performance I watched on YT!

A wonderful and prestigious article indeed. Mistitled, though. Methinks a better title [and reality) would be The Misunderstood Talent of Gladys Knight. But, I pick the nit. GS&tP are a favorite group of mine, and I have each and every of their sublime Motown lps on absolutely legit expanded editions, as well as the Funkytown Grooves expanded editions. And I 'hear, hear' Motony as regards the live performances, which provide me with joyous memories.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Thanks. I definitely don't think GK&TP's get enough props at all. Them and the Isley Brothers.
    Agree. Two of the most unique voices in music...period.

As a side note; Gladys Knight has been featured in two movies this year. Gladys Knight & The Pips' performance at 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival was in the documentary Summer Of Soul [along with an excellent interview segment with Gladys herself that outlines how they were embraced by the crowd on the day that they performed]. She was also in Eddie Murphy's movie Coming 2 America performing a version of "Midnight Train To Georgia" [under the title "Midnight Train To Zamunda"].

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    As a side note; Gladys Knight has been featured in two movies this year. Gladys Knight & The Pips' performance at 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival was in the documentary Summer Of Soul [along with an excellent interview segment with Gladys herself that outlines how they were embraced by the crowd on the day that they performed]. She was also in Eddie Murphy's movie Coming 2 America performing a version of "Midnight Train To Georgia" [under the title "Midnight Train To Zamunda"].
    Whoa! How the hell did I forget that? That was one funny and very well produced movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdJ7DeZERtA

Really? I'm sure if you speak to people who are of a certain age like myself [[I was born in 1959) they could tell you how incredible Gladys Knight is.