[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cream of the Crop is the eighteenth studio album released by Diana Ross & the 🖤🖤🖤

What an incredible album ¥¥ Someday" was originally to have been released as Ross' first solo single [[Ross is backed on the recording by session singers Maxine and Julia Waters, not the Supremes). Motown chief Berry Gordy appended the Supremes billing to the single so as to create more publicity for Ross' exit from the group. Source Wikipedia

this and Sunshine are IMO two of the weaker albums. you could probably add Reflections to that list too. they're just too much of a hodge podge. the DFM era albums were much more enjoyable as were most of the 70s albums.

now that's not to say i don't like the tunes. I think DRATS recorded some great material. I just think the packaging of the albums was too random. if you take all of the songs, you could look at the recording dates and the anticipated album release schedule and regroup songs into stronger concepts

From Cream, I think Someday, You Gave Me Love, Loving You Is Better, When It's to the Top, Till Johnny and Beginning of the End are the strongest tracks. there's a maturity in them and I think if you added in songs like The Look Of Love, Stormy and some others, you could have had a much stronger concept

I look at this album as just a hodgepodge of tracks that were lying around in the archives which needed to be released to financially help some of the writers and arrangers. Several of the productions; however, are very top notch: You Gave Me Love, Can't You See It's Me, Loving You is Better, and When It's to the Top. The other cuts, for the most part, don't appear to sonically and conceptually compliment each other.

The album cover, in my opinion, look like it was just thrown together. The gowns are indeed beautiful [[I remember them from the TCB show); however, the photography comes across as needing some more touching up and a filter to take away the 'hard' glossy look. The larger upfront image of Diana Ross is actually scary to me [[and I've always believed she is one of the most beautiful women in the world).

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I look at this album as just a hodgepodge of tracks that were lying around in the archives which needed to be released to financially help some of the writers and arrangers. Several of the productions; however, are very top notch: You Gave Me Love, Can't You See It's Me, Loving You is Better, and When It's to the Top. The other cuts, for the most part, don't appear to sonically and conceptually compliment each other.

The album cover, in my opinion, look like it was just thrown together. The gowns are indeed beautiful [[I remember them from the TCB show); however, the photography comes across as needing some more touching up and a filter to take away the 'hard' glossy look. The larger upfront image of Diana Ross is actually scary to me [[and I've always believed she is one of the most beautiful women in the world).
    i love the group pic. but never liked diana's mini afro wig. i'd have preferred just a bit larger. not saying Angela Davis. lol. but her little one frankly always looked to me like she'd just taken her wig OFF and her natural hair was all matted down lol

and yes! the mega head was NOT a good creative decision. totally get it that they wanted to make it clear she was DIANA ROSS lol. but then at least retouch the eyeliner so it's not crooked lol

i also thought the back cover was cheap. a pic of DMC that was nearly 3 - 4 years old. and it's a grainy poor quality image

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Several of the productions; however, are very top notch: You Gave Me Love, Can't You See It's Me, Loving You is Better, and When It's to the Top. The other cuts, for the most part, don't appear to sonically and conceptually compliment each other.
    i agree that there really wasn't any sonic or conceptual cohesion. But there could have been at least some alignment. it was never going to be a concept - like What's Going On. but you could have at least a general musical direction that works together more. my redo of the album is:

Someday
    you gave me love
    stormy
    young folks
    you're gonna hear from me
    loving you is better

when it's to the top
    till johnny
    those precious memories
    beginning of the end
    the look of love
    i'll set you free*

*because i redid Reflections, LC and Sunshine too, some of the cuts like I'll set you free weren't used earlier and therefore would have been "available" in the vaults for my version of COTC

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that there really wasn't any sonic or conceptual cohesion. But there could have been at least some alignment. it was never going to be a concept - like What's Going On. but you could have at least a general musical direction that works together more. my redo of the album is:

Someday
    you gave me love
    stormy
    young folks
    you're gonna hear from me
    loving you is better

when it's to the top
    till johnny
    those precious memories
    beginning of the end
    the look of love
    i'll set you free*

*because i redid Reflections, LC and Sunshine too, some of the cuts like I'll set you free weren't used earlier and therefore would have been "available" in the vaults for my version of COTC
    You think Stormy could have made it into the top 20? Tha nks.

First of all I love the album and I was glad Motown gave us one final album with the ladies but there was one thing I thought odd; 'why would Motown even think of releasing Someday as Diana's solo record. That has never made any sense to me. The message was disturbing for a Diana Ross solo release. "The Young Folks" was starting to catch on and it was on a "B" side of the record so the girls were still hot.

First off this album is no where near hodge podge like who comes up with this stuff the album is star class you tell me any one of today has many great songs one on album not to many and second the cover says it all that was her singing on those songs with beautiful background singers who ever they where give credit where credit is due that cover is stellar

Sorry to disappoint you but this album is a hodgepodge of vaulted material. It’s not bad but to include material from DMF wasn’t a great idea. A few tweeks and it could have been a great album.
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    First off this album is no where near hodge podge like who comes up with this stuff the album is star class you tell me any one of today has many great songs one on album not to many and second the cover says it all that was her singing on those songs with beautiful background singers who ever they where give credit where credit is due that cover is stellar

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    First of all I love the album and I was glad Motown gave us one final album with the ladies but there was one thing I thought odd; 'why would Motown even think of releasing Someday as Diana's solo record. That has never made any sense to me. The message was disturbing for a Diana Ross solo release. "The Young Folks" was starting to catch on and it was on a "B" side of the record so the girls were still hot.
    The lyric of Someday is the typical “please come back to me” love song and most likely would have done quite well as Diana’s solo debut. It is only because of the decision [[a brilliant decision) to release it as the Supremes’ final single with Diana that a different sentimentality has been associated with the song.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you but this album is a hodgepodge of vaulted material. It’s not bad but to include material from DMF wasn’t a great idea. A few tweeks and it could have been a great album.
    Even the Cream Of The Crop title suggests the album was a collection compiled from a crop [[vault) of song selection.

The classic albums are:

Where Did Our Love Go
    More Hits
    Symphony
    R and H
    Sing HDH
    Love Child
    A Go Go
    Right On
    Blue
    Lady
    Diana Ross 70
    Diana 80
    Take Me Higher
    Force

Cream of the Crop doesn’t even come close

To me it suggests that Cream of the Crop is the best picks of the material they had.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Even the Cream Of The Crop title suggests the album was a collection compiled from a crop [[vault) of song selection.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    i agree. and i think most of us have said we like the various tunes but that the overall combination was just too random.

Some of the tracks like Blowing In The Wind were clearly only added due to the high-profile nature of the title. but there was no real logical reason to reach back 4 years and pull a DMF track when you had plenty of much more recent tracks of high quality that were available.

that's what makes this a more random collection

Not including the speciality albums like R and H, Funny Girl, and Sam Cooke, how many of the 60s Supremes albums were actually conceived as a pop album concept project? With the possible exception of I Hear a Symphony, I doubt any of them were. But it would be interesting to know. For sure Berry Gordy didn't order Diana into the studio and state she's to go to work on the new album "Cream of the Crop".

I will stand up for afteryou on this. If s/he thinks Cream of the Crop is a classic Diana Ross/Supremes album, then that's fine. We all enjoy what we enjoy. Personally Cream of the Crop is a meh for me. Both Diana Ross and The Supremes did far better work with their subsequent albums "Diana Ross 1970" and "Right On". Both are excellent.

AS I think about it Right On was a hodge podge, though Frank Wilson certainly had a vision or concept based on the songs he contributed, but the other songs selected for the album really complement Wilson's tracks and as a result Right On proved to be a very solid album. No fillers recorded in one take with indifferent arrangements and performances on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Not including the speciality albums like R and H, Funny Girl, and Sam Cooke, how many of the 60s Supremes albums were actually conceived as a pop album concept project? With the possible exception of I Hear a Symphony, I doubt any of them were. But it would be interesting to know. For sure Berry Gordy didn't order Diana into the studio and state she's to go to work on the new album "Cream of the Crop".

I will stand up for afteryou on this. If s/he thinks Cream of the Crop is a classic Diana Ross/Supremes album, then that's fine. We all enjoy what we enjoy. Personally Cream of the Crop is a meh for me. Both Diana Ross and The Supremes did far better work with their subsequent albums "Diana Ross 1970" and "Right On". Both are excellent.
    I think Symphony and A Go Go are two examples of studio albums being prepared with some sort of a "concept." Obviously Symphony was going for a more elevated, adult feel and bringing in more MOR content. and the originals also played nicely into this as they had more strings and symphonic backing tracks

A Go Go is just a dance album.

then you had seeds of ideas. maybe they just didn't carry it through though. and maybe us fans have simply spent too much time analyzing things and putting way more thought into it than any motown employee did lolol. I myself could be highly guilty of this

Reflections lp. i see this set as 'HDH/Motown tackle the California sounds'

You have the title track which was an early example of psychedelic soul which of course is taking influences from the San Fran scene. The next several tracks [[I'm gonna make, forever, i can't make it) seem to explore these sounds and concepts a bit more.

In and Out Of Love is classified as an example of "Sunshine Pop" which was an LA sound - the 5th Dimension, Mamas and the Papas, Beach boys. so this track plus UP UP and Away, What the world fit into this category.

Bah bah seems sort of psychedelia-y to me. and Ode To Billie has the folksy quality. So that's 9 out of 12.

And some of the unreleased songs from this time could have fit in too - Going All the Way, Am I Asking too much

And there was apparently the idea for the Love Child album to focus on serious and socially conscientious songs.

AS I think about it Right On was a hodge podge, though Frank Wilson certainly had a vision or concept based on the songs he contributed, but the other songs selected for the album really complement Wilson's tracks and as a result Right On proved to be a very solid album. No fillers recorded in one take with indifferent arrangements and performances on that one.
    i believe Frank was Executive Producer for the overall album. or if not Exec, he produced the album even if he didn't produce all of the individual tracks. Frank did Ladder, Everybody, Baby Baby, Loving Country and But I Love You More. so that's nearly half of it. And if he was producer, then he could at least select the remaining 7 tracks that complimented his.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The classic albums are:

Where Did Our Love Go
    More Hits
    Symphony
    R and H
    Sing HDH
    Love Child
    A Go Go
    Right On
    Blue
    Lady
    Diana Ross 70
    Diana 80
    Take Me Higher
    Force

Cream of the Crop doesn’t even come close
    No Touch Me or Remember Me?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    No Touch Me or Remember Me?
    I knew my list was less than complete!

I forgot Touch Me In The Morning and it should have made the list.

Of all the Ross albums, Surrender is the one I was least familiar with - although Surrender, Remember Me, and And If You See Him were top notch.

And I also wondered if I shouldn't have include the album, Touch, on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I knew my list was less than complete!

I forgot Touch Me In The Morning and it should have made the list.

Of all the Ross albums, Surrender is the one I was least familiar with - although Surrender, Remember Me, and And If You See Him were top notch.

And I also wondered if I shouldn't have include the album, Touch, on the list.
    I also consider Diana Ross 76 and The Boss as classic albums. Diana & Marvin is certainly a classic duets album.
    I have a good feeling this new album might also turnout to be a classic.

I've always liked the lp as well, but I have to agree [[at least somewhat) with the hodgepodge criticism. Usually using the adjective 'hodgepodge' doesn't so much denigrate the quality of the album, but rather the fact that the songs were recorded over a lengthy period of time, which shows up a bit in generally 'differing' sounds from song-to-song. BUT!!! I do like [[probably even love!) the album and I am with you entirely in loving the cover! Did then, do now. Always nice to see your threads and comments!

On one hand it's surprising that the lp only reached #33 on the charts, what's with the success of Someday and the hoopla surrounding the group's demise. On the other hand, only reaching #33, it's surprising that the lp lasted 20 weeks on the charts and went gold! Along with Someday I'm a particular fan of Can't You See, You Gave, Shadows, Loving You and When It's To The Top. It's my opinion that the covers are a tad 'blah' and slow the lp a bit.

Thank you PeaceNHarmony the others don’t hear or see the bigger picture the cream always rises to the top this album is a symbol of the sixties like it or not

Thank you PeaceNHarmony the others don’t hear or see the bigger picture the cream always rises to the top this album is a symbol of the sixties like it or not
    As the lp bearing the iconic Someday We'll Be Together, which was a classic Supremes hit, the last Supremes #1 single, the last DRaTS lp AND the last #1 of the 1960's you are absolutely correct!

i think it's great that this is a fav of yours. would love to hear more about what makes the package so ideal for you

that's have the fun of this place - all of the different opinions. for instance, i like Girls from Ross 83. i wouldn't say it's a masterpiece but i find it very timely for 83 and fun. i include it now and then on playlists too

i think it's great that this is a fav of yours. would love to hear more about what makes the package so ideal for you

that's have the fun of this place - all of the different opinions. for instance, i like Girls from Ross 83. i wouldn't say it's a masterpiece but i find it very timely for 83 and fun. i include it now and then on playlists too
    I always assumed “Girls” was just a phase you were going through.
    I have always really liked “Cream Of The Crop” and tend to think of it as Diana’s first solo album.
    I love the charged emotion she generates in her sensitive performance of “Till Johnny”, while You Gave Me Love” had top ten written all over it. “Beginning Of The End” also had hit potential. I think the albums cover very much of it’s time.
    The only weak song for me is “Blowing In The Wind”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I always assumed “Girls” was just a phase you were going through.
    I have always really liked “Cream Of The Crop” and tend to think of it as Diana’s first solo album.
    I love the charged emotion she generates in her sensitive performance of “Till Johnny”, while You Gave Me Love” had top ten written all over it. “Beginning Of The End” also had hit potential. I think the albums cover very much of it’s time.
    The only weak song for me is “Blowing In The Wind”.
    haha - i just find it to be mindless fun. an entertaining fluff piece on the album

I think Blowing, Hey Jude, Shadows of Society and Young Folks are all pretty weak. So that is a third of the album. the rest i think is quite enjoyable.

An incredible album of incredible songs if Mary and Cindy where on background them you would think they are very valuable albums of great importance it is clear to all the antics

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I also consider Diana Ross 76 and The Boss as classic albums. Diana & Marvin is certainly a classic duets album.
    I have a good feeling this new album might also turnout to be a classic.
    Ross 76 per Wiki: "It reached #5 in the USA [[4 R&B) and sold over 700,000 copies." I remember my grandmother couldn't find this album in Detroit because it sold out so fast. Everyone was talking abt Love Hangover as it was a distinct song and definitely sounded good on the radio. Odd it didn't go to number one. Is it true that Diana didn't want to record the song?

I also love this album. And the quote “Cream of the Crop”. Stands for the very best. And I have always loved the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Ross 76 per Wiki: "It reached #5 in the USA [[4 R&B) and sold over 700,000 copies." I remember my grandmother couldn't find this album in Detroit because it sold out so fast. Everyone was talking abt Love Hangover as it was a distinct song and definitely sounded good on the radio. Odd it didn't go to number one. Is it true that Diana didn't want to record the song?
    Producer Hal Davis has said that Diana was none to keen on recording a disco song at that point in time. I believe that is why he tried to set the right tone by recording at night and setting up flashing lights in the recording studio.
    Diana apparently indulged in alcoholic beverage to loosen herself up. Such alcoholic intoxication may have led to the giggles that can be heard on the actual recording.
    Sounds like it was a fun session lol.

Doesn't matter who sang background on the songs collected for Cream of the Crop. It's still a hodge podge.

Given the quality of Someday, the ideal final DRATS album could have been helmed by Johnny Bristol. Bring Diana in the studio to record songs in a similar vein. She could have been backed by Mary and Cindy, Andantes, Blackberries, or any combination of them. Would have been nice to end the era with a cohesive Champagne soul type effort. But I'm sure between their touring schedule and plans to launch Diana solo and The Supremes with a new lead vocalist, there probably wasn't time to put together a proper album project. So off to the vaults to throw in songs that would sound contemporary on an album for late 69.

Album was thrown together. Title was good for another project, not this one. Should have been titled after Someday We'll Be Together. Cover sucked. The inclusion of "Wind" was a horrible decision. It's just not a very good cover of the song, and on top of that it's a Flo era song. Motown dropped the ball with this one. At least they rebounded with Right On and Diana Ross 1970.

ah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah Bah-bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah-bah. bla bla bla bla

Doesn't matter who sang background on the songs collected for Cream of the Crop. It's still a hodge podge.

Given the quality of Someday, the ideal final DRATS album could have been helmed by Johnny Bristol. Bring Diana in the studio to record songs in a similar vein. She could have been backed by Mary and Cindy, Andantes, Blackberries, or any combination of them. Would have been nice to end the era with a cohesive Champagne soul type effort. But I'm sure between their touring schedule and plans to launch Diana solo and The Supremes with a new lead vocalist, there probably wasn't time to put together a proper album project. So off to the vaults to throw in songs that would sound contemporary on an album for late 69.
    Someday was rather a fluke, in terms of Sup discography. Everyone had anticipated No Matter What Sign being a hit and then Diana's departure announced shortly thereafter. the track for Someday was recorded in mid June. But the track for the MJC May His Love Shine Forever was recorded earlier in June!! Looks like Someday wsa finished by 8/12. On 8/9 Frank Wilson was adding the strings to But I Love You More.

I don't know the EXACT last recording session. according to what i've pulled together, on 6/3 Diana and some bg vocals were recorded for Sing A Simple Song for Together with the Temps. May of 69 was mostly duet recordings.

But there was so much work happening starting in June with Jean. All motown needed was a quick final hit for DRATS. there was obviously boatloads of material in the vault so why waste session time and money on creating a "final" album. Someday was released on 10/14 and was an instant hit. Cream was released on 11/3.

I consider “Cream Of The Crop” a much stringer album overall then the rather diluted “Let The Sunshine In” “You Gave Me Love” was extremely radio friendly for 69 and certainly strong enough to go top ten. “Loving You Is Better Then Ever” and “Beginning Of The End” are also superior recordings with commercial potential.
    It’s really rather a shame that “Cream” happened to be the groups final album.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-16-2021 at 04:10 AM.

Someday was rather a fluke, in terms of Sup discography. Everyone had anticipated No Matter What Sign being a hit and then Diana's departure announced shortly thereafter. the track for Someday was recorded in mid June. But the track for the MJC May His Love Shine Forever was recorded earlier in June!! Looks like Someday wsa finished by 8/12. On 8/9 Frank Wilson was adding the strings to But I Love You More.

I don't know the EXACT last recording session. according to what i've pulled together, on 6/3 Diana and some bg vocals were recorded for Sing A Simple Song for Together with the Temps. May of 69 was mostly duet recordings.

But there was so much work happening starting in June with Jean. All motown needed was a quick final hit for DRATS. there was obviously boatloads of material in the vault so why waste session time and money on creating a "final" album. Someday was released on 10/14 and was an instant hit. Cream was released on 11/3.
    Your timeline seems right on the money and your interpretation in the second-last sentence makes perfect sense. All the 'woulda-coulda-shoulda' in the world makes for sometimes interesting [[and frequently antagonistic) banter but never matches the simple truth! It seems to me that though Diana's departure was planned it was somewhat of a soft planning [[probably due to BG's desire to see DRATS to go out with a big hit) so when he got one with SWBT an album made sense and, ergo, COTC. Which many of us love!

There's no excuse for that random assortment of tracks for the final album. They did that with Let the Sunshine In. This was the last album of Diana Ross with the Supremes. None of the ladies had to be brought back in to record another note. All Motown had to do was go into the vault for quality material, material that has since been released that is good to great in quality.

Crop is put together as if there was a point when some care and thought was going into the album [["You Gave Me Love", "Loving You Is Better Than Ever", etc), someone got distracted and focused on other things going on, and then at the last minute went "Oh shit, we need to finish the final DRATS album" and started grabbing random tracks to throw on it [["Shadows", "Wind", etc), without any regard for quality. The last album should have been a big success, commercially and critically.

Revisiting the cover photo, the problem is the solo Diana image. Unnecessary. Remove that giant image and leave the one of the three of them and the cover is just fine.

i wonder if they felt they needed more cover tunes and so dug up Blowing. also that was a rather "socially conscientious" tune so maybe they hoped it would add some maturity to the album? as opposed to covers like Uptight or It's Not Unusual?

i wonder if they felt they needed more cover tunes and so dug up Blowing. also that was a rather "socially conscientious" tune so maybe they hoped it would add some maturity to the album? as opposed to covers like Uptight or It's Not Unusual?
    Since there was only one hit and one single on COTC, having remakes like HEY JUDE and BLOWIN' IN THE WIND probably added some sales value to the album.

In the end, I don't think folks at Motown got too sentimental when it came to some things. They had a hit with SOMEDAY and said "Hey! We better get an album out to capitalize on it." Using a year-old photo on the front cover and a two-year old photo on the back showed how fast things were moving.

That said, as a four-year old boy, I fell in love with the cover at first sight and I still love it. It reminds me of the later cover for Gladys Knight and the Pips' STANDING OVATION album, another cover that I love.
    Last edited by reese; 08-16-2021 at 11:44 AM.

i love the group shot on the cover, even if it was sort of old by then. for some reason i loved Mary's look. normally i don't care for open mouth smiles but it works here. plus her arm movement animated the cape

motown was pretty much always going to include 2 - 4 covers on every lp. the question was simply which one[[s)

the ones in the vault for COTC would be:

mickey's monkey
    blowin in the wind
    hey jude
    can i get a witness
    uptight
    satisfaction
    it's not unusual
    macarthur park
    the look of love
    just a little misunderstanding
    heaven must have sent you
    come on and see me

Who sang those on cream of the crop should be on the front cover without Diana’s superb vocals what do we have ohhh s and awahhhhs Hey Jude and blowing in the wind are pure heaven

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Since there was only one hit and one single on COTC, having remakes like HEY JUDE and BLOWIN' IN THE WIND probably added some sales value to the album.

In the end, I don't think folks at Motown got too sentimental when it came to some things. They had a hit with SOMEDAY and said "Hey! We better get an album out to capitalize on it." Using a year-old photo on the front cover and a two-year old photo on the back showed how fast things were moving.

That said, as a four-year old boy, I fell in love with the cover at first sight and I still love it. It reminds me of the later cover for Gladys Knight and the Pips' STANDING OVATION album, another cover that I love.
    Yes, Reese! So similar to Standing O, which cover I've always loved as well!

That makes at least some theoretical sense. Yet BITW was quite a shop-worn tune at that point in time; I don't think anyone would have purchased the lp because of it's inclusion in 1969! I would have voted for The Look of Love.

motown was pretty much always going to include 2 - 4 covers on every lp. the question was simply which one[[s)

the ones in the vault for COTC would be:

mickey's monkey
    blowin in the wind
    hey jude
    can i get a witness
    uptight
    satisfaction
    it's not unusual
    macarthur park
    the look of love
    just a little misunderstanding
    heaven must have sent you
    come on and see me
    If this is what they were working with, and they needed a cover, then I have no problem with HJ or BITW.

That said, the list is missing STORMY and YOU'RE GONNA HEAR FROM ME, which I believe is the last recording of DMC, besides the Tempts duets. Both would have made great additions to the last album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If this is what they were working with, and they needed a cover, then I have no problem with HJ or BITW.

That said, the list is missing STORMY and YOU'RE GONNA HEAR FROM ME, which I believe is the last recording of DMC, besides the Tempts duets. Both would have made great additions to the last album.
    i knew i missed a few. i always forget Stormy was a cover because i first learned of the song on Never Before Released Masters back in the 80s. yes i completely agree that both of these tunes are far superior to Blowing or frankly even Hey Jude. although i get it that HJ was a monster hit and would have really caught people's eyes in the record bin

When did the practice of issuing an album with a few covers of well known hit songs by other artists begin to largely fade away?

Diana's Hey Jude” is my absolute favourite version of the song. Her voice sounds bold and exciting as opposed to melancholy with the arrangement being funky and uplifting. So many gems on this album.