[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight & The Pips "If I Were Your Woman" on The Ed Sullivan Show Feb 7, 1971

Thanks for posting this blackguy69! "If I Were Your Woman" is one of my favorite Gladys Knight & The Pips songs and they did it in style on The Sullivan Show.

Love the video but like everyone else in the comments, what the hell were they thinking looking like Mother Nature and the forest fairies. I wonder who pissed of the wardrobe person to get those outfits

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Love the video but like everyone else in the comments, what the hell were they thinking looking like Mother Nature and the forest fairies. I wonder who pissed of the wardrobe person to get those outfits
    Yes, when I first saw this performance I really thought of the Green Giant ads. But, found out it was a St. Patrick's Day episode.

The green outfits did not take away from my enjoyment of this stunning performance. Loved the arrangement, especially the strings, Gladys was the best, as always, and even though the Pips choreography was a bit limited; Bubba still gave it his all with over enthusiasm and his always bright smile.

And I know I only imagined this, but they ended the song by singing "never stop loving you oo ooo ooo". It sounded a bit like the train whistle in Midnight Train and I kind of expected the Pips to raise the hands and pull the whistle as the do in Midnight Train.

That vocal performance was stunning! However, it's a shame that The Pips were dressed like Robin Hood, and their choreography routine was horrible. It didn't go with this song at all. "If I Were Your Woman" is one of my all-time favorite Motown masterpieces. It deserved much better visual accompaniment, but it sounded perfect in every way. It just goes to show you that Motown artists sounded just as good performing live as they did on their studio recordings.

In February? St. Patrick’s day is in March
    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    Yes, when I first saw this performance I really thought of the Green Giant ads. But, found out it was a St. Patrick's Day episode.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    In February? St. Patrick’s day is in March
    Dude has a point....Anyway, worrying in 2021 about fashion in 1971 never occurred to
    me....

Some are always curious of the fashions of the day especially Supremes fans. I was just saying for this particular performance they really stood out and you can’t help but laugh at what they were wearing. Still a great performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Dude has a point....Anyway, worrying in 2021 about fashion in 1971 never occurred to
    me....

that look was very "in" in 1971, I had boots like that with knickers.

Effortless vocal from Gladys. Such a natural singer with no gimmicks needed. She could sing the phone book and it would sound good.
    The Pips outfits remind me of a Disney film, but can’t remember which one.