[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    It is baffling, Reese, and a rare [[and major!) misstep in the film. The recording session of Ain't No Way has one of the sisters improvising the legendary Cissy Houston melisma and that has lots of viewers in a snit; I don't 'like' it but acknowledge that it would have dug too deep a rabbit hole to explain why Cissy was at the session in the first place, etc. So that sort of liberty is ... ok[[ish) with me. But entire repurposing of scenes from another person's life isn't! I'll be interested to see if the DVD has some extras [[other than the usual, piously whispered 'Making this film was sooo special; unlike any cast or director I've every worked with before' behind-the-scenes stuff that seems to occur with almost every movie made!)
    I gather they were trying to emulate the AIN'T NO WAY session shown in the ARETHA FRANKLIN: SOUL SINGER documentary that showed Carolyn teaching Aretha the song.

Cissy and the Sweet Inspirations weren't mentioned in the recent GENIUS: ARETHA mini-series either, except when they recreated a scene from the recent dvd of Aretha's Amsterdam concert where the Inspirations were mistakenly billed on a poster but weren't actually on the tour.

Most session scenes in GENIUS:ARETHA showed Aretha's sisters handling the background vocals. Maybe they couldn't get Cissy's permission to use her likeness.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I gather they were trying to emulate the AIN'T NO WAY session shown in the ARETHA FRANKLIN: SOUL SINGER documentary that showed Carolyn teaching Aretha the song.

Cissy and the Sweet Inspirations weren't mentioned in the recent GENIUS: ARETHA mini-series either, except when they recreated a scene from the recent dvd of Aretha's Amsterdam concert where the Inspirations were mistakenly billed on a poster but weren't actually on the tour.

Most session scenes in GENIUS:ARETHA showed Aretha's sisters handling the background vocals. Maybe they couldn't get Cissy's permission to use her likeness.
    You are correct about the recreation of the recording session, but the film's director, Liesl Tommy, has gone on record stating that the inclusion of Cissy would have just been one more character to introduce. I understand her decision, and think that the 'revision' to showing the Franklin sisters on the session has brought more discussion around to Cissy that if she had been mentioned in the film!

Aretha is having a good year. Rolling Stone just put out an update to their 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, and Respect by Aretha is number one

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...-1/8361150002/