[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross has two entries in top 100 "lost" songs of the 80s

https://radioinsight.com/ross/187494/the-100-most-lost-songs-of-the-1980s/

This is an interesting article here. Most of the songs on this list go back to the early 80s. Makes one think that there's an expiration date on certain pop songs?

The two Diana Ross songs on this list are "It's My Turn" and "Why Do Fools Fall in Love".

Thanks for this interesting list that knocked some cobwebs off in my mind. I loved Don McLean's "Crying" in the early 80's, even preferring it to Roy Orbison's classic original. This list made me go back for a listen.

Going down the list, I understand why most [[almost all) are "lost". Only a couple shouldn't have been "lost" IMHO. Besides "Crying", I'm gonna listen again to Roberta Flack's "Making Love". It's not on this list, but "Crying" makes me want to listen again to James Taylor's "Handy Man".
    Of course, being a Ross fan, I still listen to "It's My Turn" and "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". I don't care what you may think, but I love those two Ross "lost" hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    https://radioinsight.com/ross/187494/the-100-most-lost-songs-of-the-1980s/

This is an interesting article here. Most of the songs on this list go back to the early 80s. Makes one think that there's an expiration date on certain pop songs?

The two Diana Ross songs on this list are "It's My Turn" and "Why Do Fools Fall in Love".
    I still play it’s my turn hourly. I don’t get WDFFIL but it sure has its admirers.

Interesting and fun lists. Lots of memories; nice to see Isaac Hayes' Don't Let Go remembered along with the Pointer Sisters' Should I Do It. Madonna's Who's That Girl as well.

Sheena Easton's "You Could Have Been With Me" is on regular rotation in my playlist.

There are an awful lot of songs on that list that I wouldn't put on my playlist if I was musical director for a radio station.

Plenty that were 'of their time' and very un-memorable. Most of the artists had far better songs from that era that would be on many 80s playlists.

Of her 80s hits, I think "Upside Down" "I'm Coming Out" "Endless Love" and "Missing You" have had the most enduring impact over the last 4 decades.

It's interesting how some songs last in the culture while others hit but soon are largely forgotten in the collective cultural memory. Some songs may have been middling hits, yet they endure somehow, while a big hit fades away.

I get a lot of requests for Chain Reaction on my radio shows.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    I get a lot of requests for Chain Reaction on my radio shows.
    Are you based in the US, UK, or elsewhere? Chain Reaction never made much of an impact on US audiences in the mid 80s and I doubt that it's largely known outside of Diana Ross fan circles in the US. I would agree that Chain Reaction is well known over in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Of her 80s hits, I think "Upside Down" "I'm Coming Out" "Endless Love" and "Missing You" have had the most enduring impact over the last 4 decades.

It's interesting how some songs last in the culture while others hit but soon are largely forgotten in the collective cultural memory. Some songs may have been middling hits, yet they endure somehow, while a big hit fades away.
    I think WDFFIL continues to have a large impact - it’s one of the songs no one wants to admit they sing along to - it gets a huge response at her concerts

The reason Why Do Fools is on the lost list today really has more to do with the song being a throwback to an even earlier time [[the 50’s) so it’s harder to schedule the song to bump up against the more contemporary new wave sounds of the eighties. It wouldn’t work well sandwiched between say Let’s Go Crazy & Don’t Stop Believin’.

It’s My Turn carries the double whammy of being tied to a forgotten film & that ultimately the 80’s Ross ballad slot is reserved by radio for Endless Love.

Still, she’s enduring better than say Olivia Newton John who’s entire list of 80’s hits outside of Magic is pretty much off the airwaves now. Even her 70’s stuff is gone outside of her Grease hits and Have You Never Been Mellow.

Chain Reaction continues to get airplay in NYC and Philly on the oldies stations and club dances every Staurday night. In New York radio disco and dance music is still very much part of the culture. Kind of like "Everything Is Good About You" is a hit here in Jersey and Philly and still on requests shows - and plays much more than bigger Supremes hits as these were local dance club hits.

In our Jersey/Philly markets "Third Finger, Left Hand" from Martha had heavy rotations on oldies until the late 90s and tunes like "It's A Good Feeling" from The Miracles - it's a regional thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Chain Reaction continues to get airplay in NYC and Philly on the oldies stations and club dances every Staurday night. In New York radio disco and dance music is still very much part of the culture. Kind of like "Everything Is Good About You" is a hit here in Jersey and Philly and still on requests shows - and plays much more than bigger Supremes hits as these were local dance club hits.

In our Jersey/Philly markets "Third Finger, Left Hand" from Martha had heavy rotations on oldies until the late 90s and tunes like "It's A Good Feeling" from The Miracles - it's a regional thing.
    Thanks for the info TJ. You have me wondering about regional hits now. So interesting to know a song like "Everything Is Good About You" [[one of my favs) was popular in certain places.