[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I was told today on the phone that it will be November 8th.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I recall at the time, 13/14 years old, thinking the 'glut' was crazy, I compared it to someone throwing all their furniture out of the window, these releases were robbed of being 'special', because there was too much, as compared to the 'event' status of say, a Beatles album back then,one at a time,with much pomp and circumstance...
    The Supremes were robbed of that by the periodic market 'glutting'..

Oh I love your illustration of someone throwing all their furniture out of the window! That gave me a nice chuckle- and its spot-on. I got into Motown in the eighties, so I just know that I was buying every album and record I could get my hands on including all of these Supremes releases. It's nice to get the perspective of what it was like when these were originally released- I didn't realize all of these releases came out in the same time frame!

I guess it's like Marvin Gaye said about the Supremes' success- it was like Berry freaked at the amazing success of the group. I guess Motown felt the plan should be to capitalize on that success as much as possible. I hadn't considered that the glut would possibly work against the Supremes, but I can see how teens at the time may have felt overwhelmed by all that product coming out at once.

MORE HITS ...on it's way.!

for old times sake, maybe Hip-O should release, on the same day as "More Hits", Country Western & Pop, Liverpool, Sam Cooke, Merry Christmas and "The Copa", just to maintain historic integrity..lol

I also received shipping confirmation.

LOL Jim. would like to see Sam Cook and Copa released. i wonder what out takes are from SAM COOK

Maybe For Sentimental Reasons since it was included in the live SC medley?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think the only performer who comes even close is Connie Francis. She recorded 2 or 3 C&W LPs [[at least one of which was with Hank Williams, Jr., I believe), and one Folk album. She recorded many LPs of "ethnic" material: German Favorites, Irish Favorites, Spanish or Latin American Favorites, Jewish Favorites, 2 at least of Italian, not to mention her actual recordings in foreign languages. She devoted an LP to Bacharach/David and another to a songwriter not nearly as well known, Les Reed. I'm not sure she did an entire Broadway or Show Tunes album, but she recorded many standards on her regular LPs. I think even "Who's Sorry Now" was a song that was from the 30s even, as I recall. She almost went the Disney route with a Children's LP, which I've never heard in its entirety, but I admit that what I have heard sounds pretty awful.

But all the other concept LPs that I've mentioned, in my opinion, were quite good. Of course, you'd have to like her to begin with, which I always have. But her take on folk songs such as "Aura Lee" and her renditions of "Yiddishe Mama" and the Irish songs such as "Mother Macree" [[which is kind of like the Irish "Yiddishe Mama") are very good also.

She could definitely go over the top, so it's either really great or too much for each listener!
    The Connie Francis / Supremes simile is a good one. Who’s Sorry Now was to have been her last recording session because she had no hits with prior sessions. Her father pestered her to record it, as Berry pestered the no hit Supremes to record WDOLG. Each turned into a smash. When there was extra studio time at the end of Connie’s last session, she recorded Who’s Sorry Now to appease her father. As you said, she did release a lot of materiel that was not associated with her, just as the Supremes did. I also remember an avalanche of these albums coming out almost all at once. I liked many of them and some, like Mama from her Italian album turned into monster hits. Like you, I am also a Connie fan, which many people can not understand since I became such a soul fanatic in the sixties and seventies. But I still like Connie.

Yes, Who’s Sorry Now was a remake. It was originally in a Marx Brothers movie and became a hit in the forties. Very off topic to this thread , but here is the original version.

I enjoyed her rocknroll stuff like "Lipstick On Your Dipstick", I remember how big she was in 1960/61/62, when I was 8,9,10 years old, she was a VERRRRRRY big deal..

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    When there was extra studio time at the end of Connie’s last session, she recorded Who’s Sorry Now to appease her father.
    Since we're off topic, this situation applies to the Dells with Stay in My Corner, which was recorded again after several years to fill booked time at the end of a session. Look how that turned into one of the greatest soul classics.