[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

More Hits By The Supremes

since this expanded edition is slated, can the supreme experts describe what the outtakes may be? i would imagine that there will be a mono & stereo version on disc 1 and then outtakes on disc 2 from the sessions. or maybe some "live" work that a fan is hoping for? parts from some unreleased or canceled album?

My guess is that we "might" see the following songs:

Too Much A Little Too Soon [[Stereo Version)
    Ooowee Baby [[Stereo Version)
    Come Into My Palace [[Stereo Version)
    Surfer Boy [[Stereo Version)
    Beach Ball [[Stereo Version)
    It's All Your Fault [[Stereo Version)
    Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye [[Stereo Version)

We "may" even see alternate versions of these songs as well as alternate versions from There's a Place for Us and some live recordings. Maybe even alternates of songs from More Hits. Now that would be real cool :-). I am sure there will probably be another version of "Take Me Where You Go".
    Last edited by aarondillon2011@gmail.com; 05-08-2011 at 11:21 PM.

I believe that "Little Miss Loser" is from this period.

I guess that we are all wondering if there are any totally unreleased tracks from the "More Hits...." period.

Well I for one am hoping it's the unissued Motown M-626 "The Supremes Live!, Live! Live!", and that it's the 20 Grand tracks from August 1964.

Perhaps a rare unreleased mix of Baby Love will be squeezed in :-)

I thought the Where Did Our Love Go deluxe CD included a different take of Baby Love and "live" recordings from the
    unreleased lp mentioned above.

I once heard a mix of Stop In The Name Of Love with the familiar vocal take but with handclaps. Perhaps that could be included.

RossHolloway Guest
    Wasn't there a live album recorded at Lake Tahoe around this time frame? I always assumed it was shelved because of the Copa album.

I thought the Where Did Our Love Go deluxe CD included a different take of Baby Love and "live" recordings from the
    unreleased lp mentioned above.
    You're right, I'm getting old, I meant the Lake Tahoe gig.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Wasn't there a live album recorded at Lake Tahoe around this time frame? I always assumed it was shelved because of the Copa album.
    I remember that, also.
    Seems like it was mentioned in Mary's first book; in the itinerary section.
    Good thing she kept up her diaries!
    Great Thread! I wonder if the track list actually has been completed?
    I'm hoping for something live as their shows continually became more sophisticated and had better backing music.
    The unreleased "Live! Live! Live!" would be a great addition to further flesh out our collections.
    Is this a case where "they" didn't ask the fans for our wonderful input?!
    Does someone know off-hand if there were any big differences between the mono and stereo LP versions?
    I have an alternate on a cassette of "He Holds His Own".

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    The unreleased "Live! Live! Live!" would be a great addition to further flesh out our collections.
    Did the bonus disc from the 2001 "Red Velvet" anthology include tracks from Live! Live! Live?

I wonder when this release will come out? I am ready for it already...LOL. Andy also said there's more to come so I wonder what other 60's Supremes we will get this year? Hopefully at least 4 more. More Hits is my favorite and has some meaning as it was my first actual LP. My step dad's friend gave him a bunch of records back in 1989. I saw the record in a pile and picked it out. Played it over and over til it was warped...LOL. I was only 11 at the time. I have since bought the album on cassette and cd since then. Now I cant wait for an expanded version.
    Last edited by aarondillon2011@gmail.com; 05-09-2011 at 07:08 PM.

some of us it was our actual "actual" first LP the bonus disc included in the velvet box had live tracks from throughout the 60s.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Where Did Our Love Go-deluxe edition contains some tracks some Live! Live! Live! as mentioned in the liner notes.

Aaron-Was you born in 1978? I find it incredible that there are true Supremes fans who were born after the group was no more.

I was born in 1978 :-) I have been collecting Supremes/Motown music for quit some time now.

Well, that's fantastic! But I can't tell you what a thrill it was to listen to AM radio stations in the '60s and hear these
    records for the first time. AM top 40 and R&B stations were all that we had and we listened on our little transistor
    radios. The music lives on because the music is good. All the new shows with musical acts always are singing
    and performing songs from way back when. There's just nothing new that can be called a classic or standard.
    I just looked at a Billboard Top 100 chart from the first week of April 1964--My Guy by Mary Wells entered at #50!
    Also on the charts were the Marvelettes [[He's a Good Guy), Stevie Wonder [[Castles in the Sand) and the Miracles
    [[You Can't Let the Boy overpower the Man in You).

Ramone Verona Guest
    My wife's nephew is 11 and loves to immitate Elvis Presley!

i appreciate and enjoy all the collectors. especially the "completest" as they have all the answers when there is a question about track length or whether the mono or stereo version has been released.
    Aaron, i am hoping it comes out soon, too! you wouldn't think Hip-O would list it in print for too long ahead of time when it can't be found on their order site. remember how the pink velvet set from 2000 had in tiny print at the end of the book: "look for the 70s supreme anthology soon"? but this time MORE HITS is listed like it actually exists. another one of my piggy banks is going to be going to the slaughter house and he doesn't know it yet

......another one of my piggy banks is going to be going to the slaughter house and he doesn't know it yet ...

You guys have a wonderful sense of humour.

Completists like me are getting old, and our memory is fading fast. We need you youngsters to keep the flame burning. So keep soaking up all this trivia but I warn you, there's a lot of it!

How about all the unreleased songs listed in the back of Mary's Dream Girl book?...or at least those from 1964-1966 or a
    re issue of never before released masters which I missed the first time around..

i think that disc 1 would have the mono and stereo mixs, while disc 2 would have the alternates and maybe some of WE REMEMBER SAM COOKE? or maybe not. but it might be a way to include all the tracks from 1965?
    wasnt STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS recorded during this time frame. there is also the alternate MOTHER DEAR.

i would like that; to have the sam cooke as a bonus disc or bonus tracks. or if they put these tribute albums in a package called: "Supreme Stylists".
    Nevertoolate, i think the producers at Hip-O always stay within a certain time-line when putting out a deluxe or expanded edition. and many of those tracks listed in the back of Mary's book are also listed in the liner notes on the "lost and found" set as "non-existent" or "not complete" or "no vocals" or that they were assigned to a different artist.

I found it intriguing that Mary could remember all those titles, even with a diary. The ladies were so busy at that time that I cannot imagine anyone being able to remember such detailed information, unless it was written down at the time. So I assumed that there must have been some help. No problem with that of course. But I suspect that the "helper" was not able to listen to what had vocals on and what didn't. Then, of course, the vocals might have been wiped.

Mary admitted in JP's interview on Wednesday morning [[your Tuesday night) that she doesn't recall a lot of things going on cos there was so much of it.

Nevertheless, it was the best guide that fans had for a long long time and it has served us well because it enabled detailed examination at a later date.

I wasn't aware of any restrictions on Hip-O's remit to issue Deluxe editions other than what they have the rights to.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I believe it was meant that Hip-O doesn't just release "any" unreleased track on the Supremes for an expanded set, but that those unreleased tracks are from those particular sessions associated with the project.
    Seems like some historian told us that those songs listed with Mary were provided to her for her book.
    The list was great fun for discussions.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    since this expanded edition is slated, can the supreme experts describe what the outtakes may be? i would imagine that there will be a mono & stereo version on disc 1 and then outtakes on disc 2 from the sessions. or maybe some "live" work that a fan is hoping for? parts from some unreleased or canceled album?
    In years past, there was a title: "With All My Heart" included in the list of outtakes from "More Hits by the Supremes".
    Fans often talked about the track but had later heard
    that the track was incomplete or had no vocals.

I wish those other songs listed in Mary's book were complete. There were several titles I was curious about and then to learn they either didn't exist or had no vocals :-[[

Aaron

It's all part of the fun, my boy...keeping us on our toes.....keeping our interest going.

Don't forget that titles change so it may be you already have the track but with its later title. For example, does it not mention in Mary's book "The Paper Said Rain"....that was a band track transferred and released as No Matter What Sign You Are.

Ramone Verona Guest
    There's a note in the new FINAL SESSIONS set that the working title for "There's Room At The Top" was "Don't Take It Away".
    Seems like DMF covered that as a different tune?

Has anyone heard about a projected release date for MHBTS? As if that means anything in Hipo years but...

Well, with it already being listed in Let Yourself Go I would assume it shouldnt be far off. People are gonna be waiting and looking for it now. Would have been better if it said, "Be on the look out for More Hits By The Supremes". Who knows, maybe it will be listed tomorrow. Or at least within the next week or so.

More Hits entered the Billboard Album charts in late August 1965 and into the Top Ten in early October.

Maybe we'll see the Expanded Edition around the same time period this year. That's only 3 to 5 months from now.

Rovereab there was a version of "Stop! In The Name Of Love" with Hand Claps/Foot Stomps included on the Supremes 2000 Box Set. Is that the version you may be referring to?

Hang on guys, we Brits aint even got Final Sessions yet!

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Rovereab there was a version of "Stop! In The Name Of Love" with Hand Claps/Foot Stomps included on the Supremes 2000 Box Set. Is that the version you may be referring to?
    No aaron, that version has a different vocal take and sounds a bit slower too. The version I heard was the same vocal as that on say The Ultimate Collection, the usual 45 version.

Eamonn

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Hang on guys, we Brits aint even got Final Sessions yet!
    the more releases we have to talk about helps to keep us off the streets and from our "gangsta" ways

I'm sure Judge Judy would approve!

*smile*

Ramone Verona Guest
    Is this the same judge that Shorty Long sings of?

i really would like it if they released the full complete show of the roostertail 1966, their shows were really good around that time as they sang both the standards and the full hit songs instead of cramming everything together in a rushed medley. it'd be interesting to hear a live version of love is like a itching in my heart or my world is empty without you.

Ramone Verona Guest
    That is an excellent idea.
    I believe we have been treated to several parts of that on various CD releases over the years.
    So it must be quite available.
    I had always hoped for a latter-day Marvelettes live taping from The Roostertail.
    I would purchase a whole set on Roostertail tapings from the various motown girl groups.
    Supremes-Marvelettes-Vandellas-Velvelettes.
    Or Copa.

we need to ask George Solomon on part 2 of the next radio show some of these questions to answer. it would not hurt to give this set some much needed fanfare to help future sales. the producers really need to take great advantage of these radio spots that fans listen to. doesn't cost anything and when the actual supremes are willing to take the time to talk to the fans, the timing is perfect. Neptune must be in Scorpio.

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    How about all the unreleased songs listed in the back of Mary's Dream Girl book?...or at least those from 1964-1966 or a
    re issue of never before released masters which I missed the first time around..
    Hmmmm. Very interesting! From Mary's Dream Girl book, would incomplete songs suffice if they were available? Such as the chorus but only one verse, or chorus and 2 verses, missing a verse, Or just a guide vocal without all the spices, just drums, keyboard, bass and guitar, but no enhancements, or any other scenarios ?

How about ...

.....if all you will get is the instrumentation.

Well, I see Vol. 5 of Smokey's cd is out, I wonder if More Hits will be around the corner?

Depends how far away the corner is!

True, it could be a huge corner....LOL

It's always near but just out of reach!

Besides, even record company people should be allowed to have vacation!

Ramone Verona Guest
    VACATION?!
    Final Sessions was a 6 year wait!
    We need to re-hire Berry Gordy and his whips!
    Get those studios running 24 hours, 7 days a week!
    [[They still do these Hip-O releases from that house in Detroit with the snake-pit, right?)

Ramone
    These compilations can be hard work. Just imagine how time consuming it must be having to stay to the early hours of the morning have to scrutinise old tapes, making desicions, listening, again and again, more decisions, more work, more decisons ad finitum. That's bound to take it out of anyone! Do you agree?

And I am not sure that the Hip-O releases are from that house but I think there is one nearby! Does that count?

*smile*

Ramone Verona Guest
    Yes I feel very sorry for the vault guys fondling all those tapes; having to listen to endless Supremes tracks; laughing about just "when" they will release a set to us; drinking vintage vaulted wine and bootleg whiskey; and drooling over photos of Supreme Women, Voluptuous Vandellas, and Marvelous Marvelettes.
    Now where are those whips?!