[REMOVE ADS]

THE SUPREMES "My World Is Empty Without You" live! 1977 lead: Susaye Greene

now here’s something rare

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post

thank for sharing that clip - it will give folks an insight to the act. Susaye had/has an amazing vocal prowess, but I cannot get into the song or any song that is so intent on vocal pyrotechnics- great as they may be - at the total expense of the meaning of the lyric. What made Mary strong in the final years was that she didn’t sing all over the notes and extend each one for five minutes just because she could…… She interpreted the lyrics and could stab you in the gut with how lucky can you get.

Interesting. Were they mixing things up for the show at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Interesting. Were they mixing things up for the show at that point?
    ‘It seems they were always tinkering with the set list after Jean left. These gowns, btw, were stunning in person - ideal. I always forget about these when I think how there were almost no gowns that I really really loved.

it's always fascinating to find out little tweaks to the show.

I think someone once mentioned that when MJC played the Frontier in either late 71 or early 72, they had incorporated into the show Day By Day from Godspell. but apparently it didn't seem to "work" I don't know exactly what that means or why/how it didn't work. and no idea how it was done in the show - were they exploring it as a new finale? was it part of a medley or something? who was lead or was it a group lead?

I'm not crazy about most really high pitched female singers, so the way Susaye starts the song off and the way she ends it, with those high notes, I didn't care for it. Found it very annoying. But the meat of the song...Susaye killed it. Loved it. Surprised that I love it, but I do. I feel that she captured the essence of the lyrics as well as anyone has. Her version was more intense and dramatic. Just a different interpretation. Hats off for this one.

ouch ! No thanks too shrill

Oh my goodness NO. Love Susaye but no.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's always fascinating to find out little tweaks to the show.

I think someone once mentioned that when MJC played the Frontier in either late 71 or early 72, they had incorporated into the show Day By Day from Godspell. but apparently it didn't seem to "work" I don't know exactly what that means or why/how it didn't work. and no idea how it was done in the show - were they exploring it as a new finale? was it part of a medley or something? who was lead or was it a group lead?
    I recall reading once that I Keep It Hid was briefly added to the show around the time the Webb album came out, but was quickly pulled as the audience didn't go for it and Mary was back to singing Can't Take My Eyes off of you/Quiet Nights for her solo live lead. I wonder what else were given chances and then pulled?

I read a review of one of the early MSS shows and Teardrops was in the show, which makes sense since they performed it live on Mike Douglas

one more thing to remember - this is a poor quality bootleg. no insult intended to Tony of course. i love that he has shared this and please please please share more! but this was most likely recorded on a small personal cassette recorder and the tape is 40+ years old. So you have distortions on the tape and those mostly effect the upper notes.

that's why some of the bootleg Diana era ones really sound like Minnie Mouse or some of the Jean bootlegs where her adlibs and runs get muddy and all whacked out.

Teardrops was in the show a good portion of 76
    I read a review of one of the early MSS shows and Teardrops was in the show, which makes sense since they performed it live on Mike Douglas

one more thing to remember - this is a poor quality bootleg. no insult intended to Tony of course. i love that he has shared this and please please please share more! but this was most likely recorded on a small personal cassette recorder and the tape is 40+ years old. So you have distortions on the tape and those mostly effect the upper notes.

that's why some of the bootleg Diana era ones really sound like Minnie Mouse or some of the Jean bootlegs where her adlibs and runs get muddy and all whacked out.
    Excellent point. And I'm sure no performer back then could ever conceive that one of their fans was taping it to save to post for the whole world to hear on something called "the internet" over 40 years later!

Judging by the applause, it seems like the audience enjoyed it.

Teardrops was in the show a good portion of 76
    nice! i wonder how long HE was. of the MSS lineup, i'm only aware of a handful of bootleg shows:

Royal Hawaiian - April 76, only a couple songs have surfaced. no HE
    Montreaux - HE is included
    Bachelors III - HE is not included [[this was from late spring/early summer 76)
    Detroit - Aug 76. we don't have a complete show but lots of bits and pieces. no HE
    Caesar's palace - Dec 76, no HE
    Farewell - no HE although this recording is supposedly not the full show

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Oh my goodness NO. Love Susaye but no.
    I tend to agree lol. I like the idea of the arrangement, but getting close to vocal hysterics here.