[REMOVE ADS]

Durand Jones & the Indications - 'Private Space'

I'm loving the entire new lp by Durand Jones & the Indications. It's difficult to pick one cut so here's the title song -

Aaron Frazier, singing lead above, also released his solo album earlier in the year.

His voice is very comparable to Smokey's, especially on that first song, Private Space. Nice. Thanks for sharing guys. I will definitely be checking out these albums. I've seen both album covers previously posted by some music accounts that I follow on Instagram, but hadn't really paid attention until now.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-05-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    His voice is very comparable to Smokey's, especially on that first song, Private Space. Nice. Thanks for sharing guys. I will definitely be checking out these albums. I've seen both album covers previously posted by some music accounts that I follow on Instagram, but hadn't really paid attention until now.
    I find the songwriting to be excellent as well, Carlo, and nice arrangements. PS has been a consistent spin lately, along with Prince's 'Welcome'.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I find the songwriting to be excellent as well, Carlo, and nice arrangements. PS has been a consistent spin lately, along with Prince's 'Welcome'.
    After this afternoon's listening session, I am obsessed with them. I listened to this latest album and their album from 2019. Awesome stuff. I'm gonna try to buy whatever LP's of theirs I can find tomorrow. Thanks again, Peace! I'm also spreading the word to my friends who also love soul music. They deserve a bigger following!

I listened to a bit of the latest from Prince. It was just ok for me, but I may need to give it a second listen. I liked the title track the most.

I also like how they seem to alternate between lead singers on their album tracks. It gives a nice mix of different sounds, without leading to listeners fatigue. As much as I love those high smooth falsetto voices, I find that when I listen to Smokey, a bit of that listeners' fatigue sets in for me. The way they change up the voices on their songs works well and avoids that issue.

Have you guys heard the new Yola album? It's also fantastic. It's my understanding that Aaron Frazer had some involvement in the writing and sessions for that LP.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-05-2021 at 05:02 PM.

This is my favourite cut from their new album

Aaron Frazer's solo album from January is also FANTASTIC! Very Smokey-inspired.

I also like how they seem to alternate between lead singers on their album tracks. It gives a nice mix of different sounds, without leading to listeners fatigue. As much as I love those high smooth falsetto voices, I find that when I listen to Smokey, a bit of that listeners' fatigue sets in for me. The way they change up the voices on their songs works well and avoids that issue.

Have you guys heard the new Yola album? It's also fantastic. It's my understanding that Aaron Frazer had some involvement in the writing and sessions for that LP.
    Hey Carlo, I know Dan Auerbach was involved on both Aaron Frazer and Yola's albums… and they were both released on Auerbach's label Easy Eye Sound. I’ve listened to some of the tracks on Yola's LP and have yet to be bowled over if I’m honest. What are your favourites?

nice

sounds like someone got out their Sylvia/Moments records.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Carlo, I know Dan Auerbach was involved on both Aaron Frazer and Yola's albums… and they were both released on Auerbach's label Easy Eye Sound. I’ve listened to some of the tracks on Yola's LP and have yet to be bowled over if I’m honest. What are your favourites?
    Hello TomatoTom!

First off ...The Way That I Do is also my most favourite track from the new Durand Jones and the Indications LP.

In regards to Yola's new album, it's funny because I really loved it upon the first couple of listens, but I haven't felt quite as amazed as I initially did, during subsequent listens. It's an enjoyable and solid album but I'm also not blown away. However, my favourite tracks are Diamond Studded Shoes, Whatever You Want, Break the Bough and Stand For Myself [[my top favourite).

Carlo and Tom - I want to love Yola, yet ... though I recognize her talent, between the 2 lp's I regret to say there wasn't anything I wanted to hear twice. Professional review? 4.5 of 5. Personal review? Less than. But - you get it, Yola!

Hello TomatoTom!

First off ...The Way That I Do is also my most favourite track from the new Durand Jones and the Indications LP.

In regards to Yola's new album, it's funny because I really loved it upon the first couple of listens, but I haven't felt quite as amazed as I initially did, during subsequent listens. It's an enjoyable and solid album but I'm also not blown away. However, my favourite tracks are Diamond Studded Shoes, Whatever You Want, Break the Bough and Stand For Myself [[my top favourite).
    Heeeeheee, we have good taste carlo!!!

And thanks for those track suggestions! I remember liking "Break The Bough" and "Whatever You Want" the most. I also quite like "If I Had To Do It All Again". I think some of the other tracks are too country-ish for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Carlo and Tom - I want to love Yola, yet ... though I recognize her talent, between the 2 lp's I regret to say there wasn't anything I wanted to hear twice. Professional review? 4.5 of 5. Personal review? Less than. But - you get it, Yola!
    I can understand exactly what you mean PNH. If I had to give you one Yola song I really do LOVE, I'd definitely go with "I Don’t Wanna Lie"…

from the deluxe edition of Walk Through Fire!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Heeeeheee, we have good taste carlo!!!
    Yes we do, TomatoTom!

Also, thanks for posting the deluxe edition track above, from Walk Through Fire. Gonna check it out!