[REMOVE ADS]

New Motown Subsidary Label Designs

What year were the new Tamla, Gordy and Soul labels introduce and what were the first releases on each label?
    I have just watched the film 'Dirty Dancing' and noticed the 'new' Gordy label design towards the end of the film. The film is set in 1963 and I'm sure the new label wasn't introduced until the late 60s.

The "new" label designs were introduced in 1966. The first records with each design are as follows:

Stevie Wonder "A Place In The Sun" Tamla 54139
    Martha & The Vandellas "I'm Ready Love" Gordy 7056
    Frances Nero "Keep On Loving Me" Soul 35020

They also went back and reissued some earlier records like "Shop Around", "Money", "Do You Love Me", etc. with the new label design.

I have a photo of the Hitsville Window with a sign saying " New shape for 65".
    In fact it is my phone wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    The "new" label designs were introduced in 1966. The first records with each design are as follows:

Stevie Wonder "A Place In The Sun" Tamla 54139
    Martha & The Vandellas "I'm Ready Love" Gordy 7056
    Frances Nero "Keep On Loving Me" Soul 35020

They also went back and reissued some earlier records like "Shop Around", "Money", "Do You Love Me", etc. with the new label design.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, but it should be noted that it wasn't a hard and fast changeover, as a few pressing plants around The US who still had la large label stock from before, were allowed to use those old labels, so there were some old labels used for several months after the changeover. I think they may have crept even into 1967.

Name:  IMG_20210801_101138.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  87.2 KB

hopefully photo is above

thinking about the above, it might refer to album overs

And I like BSNPUBS for this sort of thing too https://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motown/motown.html

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, but it should be noted that it wasn't a hard and fast changeover, as a few pressing plants around The US who still had la large label stock from before, were allowed to use those old labels, so there were some old labels used for several months after the changeover. I think they may have crept even into 1967.
    Yes, I remember seeing Gordy 7082 "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" on the script label.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    American Record Pressing in Owosso, MI was the only plant that it was a hard and fast changeover, and they were the first to use the new design. You're definitely right though that Monarch, the RCA plants, and Southern Plastics all continued to use the old designs until they ran out of blank labels.

I think the only ARP pressing to have both the old and new label design while it was a current release was The Temptations "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" on Gordy 7055.

I remember the old labels on both the album cover and album in the 1964 releases.
    By 1965 and 1966. The album covers and the inside jackets had the new Gordy and Tamla
    labels, but the albums themselves still had the old Gordy and Tamla labels [[the script and
    the globe-wheel). My original Shotgun album had the purple and white "SOUL" design on
    the album, but the inside cover and the album cover had the new soul design with the spiral.

My original 45 of "I'm Ready For Love" is on the original Gordy label design, the pressing plant is Nashville Metra.