[REMOVE ADS]

Paul Williams leads

Anyone have or have knowledge of where to find a definitive list of Paul Williams leads with the Temptations? I would like to make up CD collection of all his leads under one roof if possibe.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Anyone have or have knowledge of where to find a definitive list of Paul Williams leads with the Temptations? I would like to make up CD collection of all his leads under one roof if possibe.
    Paul, I cannot say that I ever saw one, but if you go to Keith Hughes Don't Forget the Motor City [www.dftmc.info] and pull up each Temptations song
    when he was active with the group you MIGHT get what you are interested
    in. I looked up Don't Look Back and it clearly states Lead: Paul Williams.
    I don't know if they show the lead for every one but that would be a good start.

Keith is the world's expert on things like this which were retrieved from the official records.

Just a suggestion.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Just Let Me Know" is another.

Hi Paul

Here's the list from DFTMC, I hope it's readable. I think the singer notes came from the long-gone and much-missed "Yesterday-Today-Forever" magazine, but can't recall who compiled it. The first date is the first release, the second date is the [[last) recording date.

Best
    Keith

All I Need Is You To Love Me;21-Dec-18;18-Mar-68;lead Paul Williams; no bvs
    Ball Of Confusion [[That's What The World Is Today);07-May-70;14-Apr-70;lead Eddie Kendricks/Dennis Edwards/Paul Williams
    Check Yourself;07-Nov-61;28-Oct-61;v1 lead Paul Williams.Otis and Melvin on intro.acc Brian Holland
    Cloud Nine;25-Oct-68;02-Oct-68;lead Dennis Edwards/Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me;17-Feb-69;23-Dec-68;lead Paul Williams
    Don't Look Back;30-Sep-65;12-May-65;lead Paul Williams
    Farewell My Love;25-Jun-63;25-May-63;lead Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    For Once In My Life;27-Nov-67;18-Oct-67;lead Paul Williams
    Forever In My Heart;18-Aug-97;03-Jun-66;lead Paul Williams
    Give It Up;18-May-99;02-Aug-63;lead Paul Williams
    Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got;18-Apr-68;24-Feb-67;lead Paul Williams
    Hey Girl;17-Feb-69;18-Dec-68;lead Paul Williams
    How Can I Forget;16-Jul-68;29-Jun-68;lead Paul Williams
    I Can't Get Next To You;30-Jul-69;03-Jul-69;lead Dennis Edwards/Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To;02-Nov-66;07-Jun-66;2nd odb lead Paul Williams
    I Now See You Clear Through My Tears;28-Sep-99;10-Jan-67;lead Paul Williams
    I Want A Love I Can See;18-Mar-63;01-Feb-63;lead Paul Williams
    I Won't Have To Be The Fool No More;17-Dec-13;11-Sep-63;lead- Paul Williams
    I'll Love You Till I Die;29-Sep-62;16-Aug-62;lead Paul Williams
    It Don't Have To Be This Way;17-Oct-86;30-Nov-62;lead Paul Williams
    Just Another Lonely Night;01-Nov-65;10-Jun-65;lead Paul Williams
    Just Let Me Know;23-Jan-64;17-Dec-63;lead Paul Williams
    Last One Out Is Brokenhearted;28-Sep-99;09-Jun-66;lead Paul Williams
    Little Green Apples;23-Sep-69;14-May-69;lead Paul Williams
    Love Can Be Anything [[Can't Nothing Be Love But Love);22-Apr-71;15-Feb-71;lead Paul Williams/Dennis Edwards
    No Man Can Love Her Like I Do;29-Apr-68;27-Dec-66;lead Paul Williams, odb on the Marvelettes
    No More Water In The Well;17-Jul-67;05-Oct-66;lead Paul Williams
    Oh Mother Of Mine;24-Jul-61;;v2: lead Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    Romance Without Finance;24-Jul-61;;lead Paul Williams
    Running Away [[Ain't Gonna Help You);30-Jul-69;20-May-69;lead Paul Williams
    Slow Down Heart;01-Oct-62;06-Jun-62;lead Paul Williams
    So Much Joy;17-Oct-86;19-Jun-62;lead Paul Williams
    Tearstained Letter;28-Feb-86;23-Nov-62;lead Paul Williams
    That's Life;27-Nov-67;18-Oct-67;lead Paul Williams
    The Further You Look, The Less You See;18-Mar-63;04-Jan-63;lead Paul Williams
    The Lord's Prayer;28-Jun-68;20-Jul-67;odb on the Lewis Sisters, lead Paul Williams
    The Man Who Don't Believe In Love;18-May-99;25-Jun-63;lead Paul Williams
    Then;30-Dec-16;27-Oct-66;lead: Paul Williams
    War;06-Mar-70;07-Jan-70;lead Paul Williams/Dennis Edwards
    We'll Be Satisfied;28-Sep-99;10-Mar-67;lead Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin
    Wherever I Lay My Hat [[That's My Home);17-Oct-86;06-Jun-66;lead Paul Williams
    Who Can I Turn To [[When Nobody Needs Me);27-Nov-67;20-May-67;lead Paul Williams
    Who You Gonna Run To;15-Jun-66;14-Jan-65;odb on Mickey McCullers, lead Paul Williams
    Witchcraft;20-Sep-94;27-Sep-63;odb on Lee & the Leopards, lead Paul Williams
    You Beat Me To The Punch;22-Mar-65;12-Jan-65;2nd odb; lead Paul Williams
    Your Wonderful Love;07-Nov-61;22-Oct-61;v1 lead Paul Williams.Otis and Melvin on intro.acc Brian Holland

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Hi Paul

Here's the list from DFTMC, I hope it's readable. I think the singer notes came from the long-gone and much-missed "Yesterday-Today-Forever" magazine, but can't recall who compiled it. The first date is the first release, the second date is the [[last) recording date.

Best
    Keith

All I Need Is You To Love Me;21-Dec-18;18-Mar-68;lead Paul Williams; no bvs
    Ball Of Confusion [[That's What The World Is Today);07-May-70;14-Apr-70;lead Eddie Kendricks/Dennis Edwards/Paul Williams
    Check Yourself;07-Nov-61;28-Oct-61;v1 lead Paul Williams.Otis and Melvin on intro.acc Brian Holland
    Cloud Nine;25-Oct-68;02-Oct-68;lead Dennis Edwards/Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me;17-Feb-69;23-Dec-68;lead Paul Williams
    Don't Look Back;30-Sep-65;12-May-65;lead Paul Williams
    Farewell My Love;25-Jun-63;25-May-63;lead Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    For Once In My Life;27-Nov-67;18-Oct-67;lead Paul Williams
    Forever In My Heart;18-Aug-97;03-Jun-66;lead Paul Williams
    Give It Up;18-May-99;02-Aug-63;lead Paul Williams
    Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got;18-Apr-68;24-Feb-67;lead Paul Williams
    Hey Girl;17-Feb-69;18-Dec-68;lead Paul Williams
    How Can I Forget;16-Jul-68;29-Jun-68;lead Paul Williams
    I Can't Get Next To You;30-Jul-69;03-Jul-69;lead Dennis Edwards/Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To;02-Nov-66;07-Jun-66;2nd odb lead Paul Williams
    I Now See You Clear Through My Tears;28-Sep-99;10-Jan-67;lead Paul Williams
    I Want A Love I Can See;18-Mar-63;01-Feb-63;lead Paul Williams
    I Won't Have To Be The Fool No More;17-Dec-13;11-Sep-63;lead- Paul Williams
    I'll Love You Till I Die;29-Sep-62;16-Aug-62;lead Paul Williams
    It Don't Have To Be This Way;17-Oct-86;30-Nov-62;lead Paul Williams
    Just Another Lonely Night;01-Nov-65;10-Jun-65;lead Paul Williams
    Just Let Me Know;23-Jan-64;17-Dec-63;lead Paul Williams
    Last One Out Is Brokenhearted;28-Sep-99;09-Jun-66;lead Paul Williams
    Little Green Apples;23-Sep-69;14-May-69;lead Paul Williams
    Love Can Be Anything [[Can't Nothing Be Love But Love);22-Apr-71;15-Feb-71;lead Paul Williams/Dennis Edwards
    No Man Can Love Her Like I Do;29-Apr-68;27-Dec-66;lead Paul Williams, odb on the Marvelettes
    No More Water In The Well;17-Jul-67;05-Oct-66;lead Paul Williams
    Oh Mother Of Mine;24-Jul-61;;v2: lead Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks
    Romance Without Finance;24-Jul-61;;lead Paul Williams
    Running Away [[Ain't Gonna Help You);30-Jul-69;20-May-69;lead Paul Williams
    Slow Down Heart;01-Oct-62;06-Jun-62;lead Paul Williams
    So Much Joy;17-Oct-86;19-Jun-62;lead Paul Williams
    Tearstained Letter;28-Feb-86;23-Nov-62;lead Paul Williams
    That's Life;27-Nov-67;18-Oct-67;lead Paul Williams
    The Further You Look, The Less You See;18-Mar-63;04-Jan-63;lead Paul Williams
    The Lord's Prayer;28-Jun-68;20-Jul-67;odb on the Lewis Sisters, lead Paul Williams
    The Man Who Don't Believe In Love;18-May-99;25-Jun-63;lead Paul Williams
    Then;30-Dec-16;27-Oct-66;lead: Paul Williams
    War;06-Mar-70;07-Jan-70;lead Paul Williams/Dennis Edwards
    We'll Be Satisfied;28-Sep-99;10-Mar-67;lead Paul Williams/Eddie Kendricks/David Ruffin
    Wherever I Lay My Hat [[That's My Home);17-Oct-86;06-Jun-66;lead Paul Williams
    Who Can I Turn To [[When Nobody Needs Me);27-Nov-67;20-May-67;lead Paul Williams
    Who You Gonna Run To;15-Jun-66;14-Jan-65;odb on Mickey McCullers, lead Paul Williams
    Witchcraft;20-Sep-94;27-Sep-63;odb on Lee & the Leopards, lead Paul Williams
    You Beat Me To The Punch;22-Mar-65;12-Jan-65;2nd odb; lead Paul Williams
    Your Wonderful Love;07-Nov-61;22-Oct-61;v1 lead Paul Williams.Otis and Melvin on intro.acc Brian Holland
    Isn't it interesting that Paul did not sing lead on any songs in '64 and just a couple in '65.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Isn't it interesting that Paul did not sing lead on any songs in '64 and just a couple in '65.
    Hey this is awesome thanks so much

Paul didn’t have any leads on “Love Can Be Anything” though

Take a Stroll through your Mind isn't on that list. Paul Williams sings the hell out of his part near the end of the song.

Paul Williams sang lead on the Temptations version of "What's Easy for Two Is Hard For One", which was recorded in 1964 but wasn't released until 2005 on the Hip-O Select 2-CD set Motown Sings Motown Treasures Vols 1 & 2.

[[167) The Temptations - What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    Paul Williams sang lead on the Temptations version of "What's Easy for Two Is Hard For One", which was recorded in 1964 but wasn't released until 2005 on the Hip-O Select 2-CD set Motown Sings Motown Treasures Vols 1 & 2.

[[167) The Temptations - What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One - YouTube
    Completed May 1964. So he did do at least one lead in 1964. Seems like maybe Smokey wasn't too keep on Paul singing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Hi Paul

Best
    Keith

Interesting to see the recording notes on "No Man Can Love Her Like I Do". When I first heard it, I thought it sounded like it could have been a cousin to The Marvelettes' "Too Many Fish In The Sea"- it was the sax break that cemented that thought. Now I see I may not have been far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Interesting to see the recording notes on "No Man Can Love Her Like I Do". When I first heard it, I thought it sounded like it could have been a cousin to The Marvelettes' "Too Many Fish In The Sea"- it was the sax break that cemented that thought. Now I see I may not have been far off the mark.
    The notes to that entry lists the Marvelette's track as being called No Girl [[Can Love Him Like I Do). Written by Kendricks/E. Holland/Whitfield. While Too Many Fish is written by just E. Holland and Whitfield. There are some similarities between the two songs, but it does make me wonder if the Marvalettes did a version of the song.

The notes to that entry lists the Marvelette's track as being called No Girl [[Can Love Him Like I Do). Written by Kendricks/E. Holland/Whitfield. While Too Many Fish is written by just E. Holland and Whitfield. There are some similarities between the two songs, but it does make me wonder if the Marvalettes did a version of the song.
    Thank you for that info. Wouldn't that be great if somehow that turned up [[if they did indeed record a version!)

Completed May 1964. So he did do at least one lead in 1964. Seems like maybe Smokey wasn't too keep on Paul singing lead.
    I think Smokey was happy with Paul, but in1964 his interest was in the direction of the new man...Ruffin.

Thank you for that info. Wouldn't that be great if somehow that turned up [[if they did indeed record a version!)
    Although assigned to the Marvelettes there do not seem to be any vocals from them just The Temptations

Although assigned to the Marvelettes there do not seem to be any vocals from them just The Temptations
    OK, thank you. I appreciate the closure you and SatansBlues gave on this one. It's one I've wondered about for years. Nice to find out I was kinda right about this sounding like a Marvelettes song all those years ago.

The song’s lyrics were originally written for Jimmy Ruffin’s “I Know How To Love Her”, which eventually evolved into “Too Busy Thinking About My Baby”! “No Man…” I’m sure was thrown together solely to be used as a filler track and was never meant to be a true contender. Nevertheless, it’s one of Paul’s best leads IMO. Norman could have given him “This Ole Man” and he still would have killed it with his forceful baritone.

This has me wondering if there any switched tempts leads in the vault - recorded just for fun if nothing else

Paul singing Aint to proud to beg

David & Eddie switching parts on You're My Everything

Eddie singing My Girl

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The song’s lyrics were originally written for Jimmy Ruffin’s “I Know How To Love Her”, which eventually evolved into “Too Busy Thinking About My Baby”! “No Man…” I’m sure was thrown together solely to be used as a filler track and was never meant to be a true contender. Nevertheless, it’s one of Paul’s best leads IMO. Norman could have given him “This Ole Man” and he still would have killed it with his forceful baritone.
    Interesting! Thank you, jboy88. See, all of this is pretty thrilling to read. Norman seemed to do this a lot; starting one song and putting it to that music track, THEN switching those lyrics to this music track. He definitely was very fluid with this mix-and-match method. And it worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    This has me wondering if there any switched tempts leads in the vault - recorded just for fun if nothing else

Paul singing Aint to proud to beg

David & Eddie switching parts on You're My Everything

Eddie singing My Girl
    Of course they did just that with the recent discovery of the Eddie Kendricks version of Gotta Find A way To Get You Back on Cellarful Of Motown Volume 5

Five and a half years ago I compiled three or four imaginary albums featuring Paul’s leads and listed them on SDF. I’ve found my list in the archive but don’t know how to copy the post and drop it into this thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Five and a half years ago I compiled three or four imaginary albums featuring Paul’s leads and listed them on SDF. I’ve found my list in the archive but don’t know how to copy the post and drop it into this thread!!!
    Open them in word highlight the text and copy and simply paste here

Of course they did just that with the recent discovery of the Eddie Kendricks version of Gotta Find A way To Get You Back on Cellarful Of Motown Volume 5
    Paul do you know if there are any other Paul led songs from his time with the Temptations still locked in the vaults or unreleased solo cuts?

Open them in word highlight the text and copy and simply paste here
    Thanks Paul. Here goes. One track I would add that's appeared since 2015 is the awesome All I Need Is You To Love Me

I know, I know, the Tempts' late great singer never had a solo album.
    But I've taken the tracks he leads on and compiled four imaginary albums. Some of the tracks were never released at the time but have come to light since, either on CD compilations or downloads. They follow a chronological timeline, and I've blessed them with titles you might have seen at the time. Hope I've not missed anything...
    You can tell I'm recently retired..!

INTRODUCING... [[released 1962)
    Oh mother of mine*
    Romance without finance
    Check yourself
    Your wonderful love
    I like it
    Oh Distant lover
    It don't have to be this way
    So much joy
    I'll love you till I die
    Slow down heart
    I couldn't cry if I wanted to
    Tearstained letter
    *with Eddie Kendricks
    Tracks recorded 1961-62

WITCHCRAFT [[released 1964)
    I won't have to be the fool no more
    Witchcraft
    I want a love I can see
    The further you look, the less you see
    Farewell my love*
    Just let me know
    Baby baby I need you*
    The man who don't believe in love
    Give it up
    Lonely lonely man am I
    *with Eddie Kendricks
    Tracks recorded 1963-64

DON'T LOOK BACK [[released 1967)
    Don't look back
    You beat me to the punch
    Just another lonely night
    Who you gonna run to
    Wherever I lay my hat [[that's my home)
    No man can love her like I do
    No more water in the well
    Last one out is brokenhearted
    Forever in my heart
    Gonna give her all the love I got
    I now see you clear through my tears
    We'll be satisfied*
    *with Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin
    Tracks recorded 1965-67

REMEMBERING... [[released 1972)
    For once in my life
    Who can I turn to
    That's life
    How can I forget
    Hey Girl
    Don't let him take your love fro me
    Little green apples
    Running away [[Ain't gonna help you)
    Feel like givin up
    Once you had a heart
    I need you more than ever
    Tracks recorded 1967-72

Mmm, I love that DON'T LOOK BACK album!

The duets featuring Paul with Diana and the Supremes will have to be released on an expanded CD - Try it baby, A place in the sun, Then, You gave me something [[And everything's alright), Stubborn kind of fellow, I'll be doggone, The weight

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Thanks Paul. Here goes. One track I would add that's appeared since 2015 is the awesome All I Need Is You To Love Me

I know, I know, the Tempts' late great singer never had a solo album.
    But I've taken the tracks he leads on and compiled four imaginary albums. Some of the tracks were never released at the time but have come to light since, either on CD compilations or downloads. They follow a chronological timeline, and I've blessed them with titles you might have seen at the time. Hope I've not missed anything...
    You can tell I'm recently retired..!

INTRODUCING... [[released 1962)
    Oh mother of mine*
    Romance without finance
    Check yourself
    Your wonderful love
    I like it
    Oh Distant lover
    It don't have to be this way
    So much joy
    I'll love you till I die
    Slow down heart
    I couldn't cry if I wanted to
    Tearstained letter
    *with Eddie Kendricks
    Tracks recorded 1961-62

WITCHCRAFT [[released 1964)
    I won't have to be the fool no more
    Witchcraft
    I want a love I can see
    The further you look, the less you see
    Farewell my love*
    Just let me know
    Baby baby I need you*
    The man who don't believe in love
    Give it up
    Lonely lonely man am I
    *with Eddie Kendricks
    Tracks recorded 1963-64

DON'T LOOK BACK [[released 1967)
    Don't look back
    You beat me to the punch
    Just another lonely night
    Who you gonna run to
    Wherever I lay my hat [[that's my home)
    No man can love her like I do
    No more water in the well
    Last one out is brokenhearted
    Forever in my heart
    Gonna give her all the love I got
    I now see you clear through my tears
    We'll be satisfied*
    *with Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin
    Tracks recorded 1965-67

REMEMBERING... [[released 1972)
    For once in my life
    Who can I turn to
    That's life
    How can I forget
    Hey Girl
    Don't let him take your love fro me
    Little green apples
    Running away [[Ain't gonna help you)
    Feel like givin up
    Once you had a heart
    I need you more than ever
    Tracks recorded 1967-72

Mmm, I love that DON'T LOOK BACK album!

The duets featuring Paul with Diana and the Supremes will have to be released on an expanded CD - Try it baby, A place in the sun, Then, You gave me something [[And everything's alright), Stubborn kind of fellow, I'll be doggone, The weight
    Hey this is wonderful thank you I will make my own set now and follow your pattern as far as unreleased Paul material left in the vault that looks increasingly unlikely but never say never