[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    ^^^ I’m gonna be real. That long explanation of why it is not offensive to call a black woman a maid, is just as offensive as the original “joke”. Let’s leave the negativity behind and just focus on the music.
    FYI I didn’t start this topic

im certain the maids of America, especially those of color, will be lifted by your assertion there is shame or “something wrong” with the way they feed their families.

you might enjoy this article on The possibility of limiting voting in this country to those who have children only
    https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/24...-this-country/

or this harmless nugget:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-klan-n1274610

after gerrymandering the southern black vote to a pittance of its numerical power, southern states are now:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...ghts-jim-crow/

it’s not me that needs a doctor, Blanche
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 08-01-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Blue Brock is a cherished member of this forum who has shared a great many insights and give us advance information that would not otherwise be public knowledge that has proven accurate - if you are questioning his work with diana ross, I am not. Furthermore, anyone who is working with diana ross or who has not worked with diana ross or who may never work with diana ross may still have an opinion on snippets that they hear I can’t understand questioning that regardless of what his relationship to her is. He didn’t say the songs weren’t good he said what he heard wasn’t impressive. How difficult is that to understand?

this chambermaid issue is such a stretch. First of all, chambermaids can come in all colors. There is absolutely no connection to the word chambermaid and any particular category of human except female. If you Google the word, and look at the images, I think you are fine 99.99% of the images to be Caucasian. Chambermaids are generally referred to as women who worked in England or Western Europe, I section of the world with a much much much much much smaller percentage of those of African dissent then save the United States. Anyone looking to find any kind of insult, a racist comment or anything of the like it’s really stretching it with this particular word. There are lots of African-Americans who do domestic work just like there are lots of Caucasians and Samoans and Hispanics, Mole People and Aussies. It Is NOTHING to be ashamed of or to look down upon. These fine people provide a needed service that most people on this forum and in the rest of the world have enjoyed many many many many times and I doubt that among those many times anyone ever thought what the skin color of the person was who washed the dish, the floor or the walls.

better pick your battles - there are a lot of scary adversaries out there organizing horrid things - frightening things - they are getting my attention. Blue? Hardly.
    This post was a delight to read owing to its rationality and plain common sense. As you mention, Bluebrock is a long serving, much respected member of this forum who has provided us with many a Ross insight we would otherwise never have known. I enjoyed his candid and revealing posts where he mercifully avoided a Stepford Wives mentality with Diana Ross as the perfect goddess beyond reproach.
    Freedom of speech is paramount to the success of any forum where opinion is shared. Don’t stay away to long Mr B.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This post was a delight to read owing to its rationality and plain common sense. As you mention, Bluebrock is a long serving, much respected member of this forum who has provided us with many a Ross insight we would otherwise never have known. I enjoyed his candid and revealing posts where he mercifully avoided a Stepford Wives mentality with Diana Ross as the perfect goddess beyond reproach.
    Freedom of speech is paramount to the success of any forum where opinion is shared. Don’t stay away to long Mr B.
    I wonder if a safespace thread should be started by one of us here for those sensitive Diana Ross fans to go to whenever they get upset when someone might say something critical [[however mild or fair, harsh or unfair) about Diana Ross and they can console themselves by reassuring each other that Diana Ross is perfect and that the critical forum members are haters who will get their punishment of eternal damnation from the Lord on judgement day?

And what about trigger warnings? Should anyone who offers a critical comment about Diana Ross that would indicate that they don't think she's perfect be required to offer a trigger warning and a link to the safespace thread so the sensitive Diana Ross fans can click on it immediately and go there rather than be exposed to the emotional trauma and violence of having to read something critical about Diana Ross?

I have to disagree. While some of these statements may have raised an eyebrow or two:
    1. No one has launched into histrionics, as frequently happened in the past
    2. The level of animosity is no where near as bad as it used to be here, and
    3. People have a right to express their displeasure at a slight used on a public forum. I don't see any "Rossers" having a fit.

Step back, relax, and enjoy the music.

I’ve liked Diana since SITNOL although Mary was my favourite Supreme until she started the attention getting sensationalism. I even like I Love You quite a bit but there may have been some cost cutting measures taken. But Diana is just human and even she has talked about when she got big headed. So worshipping her or anyone is a little bit shallow and silly. So criticism is not blasphemy - it’s rational.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I’ve liked Diana since SITNOL although Mary was my favourite Supreme until she started the attention getting sensationalism. I even like I Love You quite a bit but there may have been some cost cutting measures taken. But Diana is just human and even she has talked about when she got big headed. So worshipping her or anyone is a little bit shallow and silly. So criticism is not blasphemy - it’s rational.
    To the rational mind it is indeed.

Blue Brock is a cherished member of this forum who has shared a great many insights and give us advance information that would not otherwise be public knowledge that has proven accurate - if you are questioning his work with diana ross, I am not. Furthermore, anyone who is working with diana ross or who has not worked with diana ross or who may never work with diana ross may still have an opinion on snippets that they hear I can’t understand questioning that regardless of what his relationship to her is. He didn’t say the songs weren’t good he said what he heard wasn’t impressive. How difficult is that to understand?

this chambermaid issue is such a stretch. First of all, chambermaids can come in all colors. There is absolutely no connection to the word chambermaid and any particular category of human except female. If you Google the word, and look at the images, I think you are fine 99.99% of the images to be Caucasian. Chambermaids are generally referred to as women who worked in England or Western Europe, I section of the world with a much much much much much smaller percentage of those of African dissent then save the United States. Anyone looking to find any kind of insult, a racist comment or anything of the like it’s really stretching it with this particular word. There are lots of African-Americans who do domestic work just like there are lots of Caucasians and Samoans and Hispanics, Mole People and Aussies. It Is NOTHING to be ashamed of or to look down upon. These fine people provide a needed service that most people on this forum and in the rest of the world have enjoyed many many many many times and I doubt that among those many times anyone ever thought what the skin color of the person was who washed the dish, the floor or the walls.

better pick your battles - there are a lot of scary adversaries out there organizing horrid things - frightening things - they are getting my attention. Blue? Hardly.
    Hear! Hear! Not that Bluebrock requires any additional character references but anyone who has been a member of SD for more than a minute is aware that he is an inexhaustible fount of history and knowledge regarding Miss Ross which he shares often and freely -- and with far too much discretion for my tastes. His affection for her as a person and an artist is unimpeachable. I didn't see the offending comment, and don't care to, but whatever negative inference was derived [or contrived] is likely unfounded.

Moreover, Bluebrock was once slapped in the face by Dame Shirley Bassey -- a divine anointing if ever there was one.

Please show some respect for the members who consistently make this forum a worthwhile destination.

I think they played this song during the broadcast of GMA3 yesterday or the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I wonder if a safespace thread should be started by one of us here for those sensitive Diana Ross fans to go to whenever they get upset when someone might say something critical [[however mild or fair, harsh or unfair) about Diana Ross and they can console themselves by reassuring each other that Diana Ross is perfect and that the critical forum members are haters who will get their punishment of eternal damnation from the Lord on judgement day?

And what about trigger warnings? Should anyone who offers a critical comment about Diana Ross that would indicate that they don't think she's perfect be required to offer a trigger warning and a link to the safespace thread so the sensitive Diana Ross fans can click on it immediately and go there rather than be exposed to the emotional trauma and violence of having to read something critical about Diana Ross?
    I think better would be a safe space for those sensitive to diana ross fans and read their own jaundiced view of her fans to be some sort of factual commentary. This discussion had nothing to do with being critical of Her Highness. criticism such as you suggest often occurs daily with no issues at all. This particular issue was not about criticism per se’, but racism, and some of us who abhor racism were unhappy with the comment. I disagreed with that view, I don’t believe there was racist intent or content, but I understood where it was coming from. They were not just taking exception to the fact that someone dared to criticize Miss Ross.

Your comments on the track were somewhat critical and I didn’t notice an insurrection. We’ve had situations in the past where sensitive Mary fans created havoc and sensitive Ross fans joined in and vice versa. today, we enjoy peace and relative tranquility. your sardonically pious safe space comment is, in itself, not exactly spreading……….“love.”
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 08-06-2021 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Moreover, Bluebrock was once slapped in the face by Dame Shirley Bassey -- a divine anointing if ever there was one.
    That dope you're smoking.....please stop hoarding it. Must be exclusive to the lost city of Atlantis!

I think better would be a safe space for those sensitive to diana ross fans and read their own jaundiced view of her fans to be some sort of factual commentary. This discussion had nothing to do with being critical of Her Highness. criticism such as you suggest often occurs daily with no issues at all. This particular issue was not about criticism per se’, but racism, and some of us who abhor racism were unhappy with the comment. I disagreed with that view, I don’t believe there was racist intent or content, but I understood where it was coming from. They were not just taking exception to the fact that someone dared to criticize Miss Ross.

Your comments on the track were somewhat critical and I didn’t notice an insurrection. We’ve had situations in the past where sensitive Mary fans created havoc and sensitive Ross fans joined in and vice versa. today, we enjoy peace and relative tranquility. your sardonically pious safe space comment is, in itself, not exactly spreading……….“love.”
    It was as much about how a poster reacted in regards to the ‘chambermaid’ comment, which as you mention was unlikely to be meant as a racial slur. A poster had accused Bluebrock of always taking potshots at Diana which is simply not true. There was also a thinly disguised comment that he was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. A secret Ross hater. It was certainly enough for him to want to take a break from the forum.
    On another thread, the same poster had also resorted to name calling when fans simply disagreed with him.
    I think Spreadinglove21 comments were meant as lighthearted, though some of his suggestions were to me fairly on point.

That’s an accurate read on the thread, but the number of testy incidents has plummeted as of late and, I don’t see the use of furthering the discord with comments like his. There was a lot of relish in that post, perhaps too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As luck would have it i commence my holiday/vacation tomorrow and will be away from this forum for several weeks at the very least. I think my vacation has come at the right time as i spend time with family whom i have not seen in almost 2 years.
    Therefore i will sign off and wish you all good health and happiness for the future. Take care of yourselves.
    Please don't disappear from this forum because of some trolling post attacking your opinions and attempting to besmirch your character.

You are one of the most honest and informative posters on this site and one of the reasons I visit the site so regularly.

We could do with more members like you and less of the sycophantic posters who won't have anything negative or humorous said, when clearly those things deserve to be said to maintain objectivity.

I hope we see you back after your deserved holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    First of all it wasn't me who posted the original chambermaid comment. I merely responded to it in the light hearted way in which i assume the original poster intended it to be.
    I never intentionally set out to upset anyone, and i therefore offer an unconditional apology to anyone whom i caused offence to. Looking back perhaps i should not have said what i did, but we live in desperately dark times and i was trying to inject some light hearted humour into the conversation. I can now see that my comments caused offence where none was intended and i will shortly delete the offending post.
    I am usually an upbeat person who tries to remain positive. The past 18 months have been difficult for us all and i am sure we have all lost loved ones during this dreadful pandemic. I had my own personàl battle last year during which i almost lost my life. I am grateful to still be here to fight another day. Our late fellow forum member Marv was not so fortunate. That is all i can say on the subject. Once again i offer a heartfelt and genuine apology.
    As luck would have it i commence my holiday/vacation tomorrow and will be away from this forum for several weeks at the very least. I think my vacation has come at the right time as i spend time with family whom i have not seen in almost 2 years.
    Therefore i will sign off and wish you all good health and happiness for the future. Take care of yourselves.
    please, return

TTC is a lovely album track; not a standout for me but a nice sentiment.

Talk of the devil.

I've really grown to love 'Time To Call'; the high notes won me over, along with the lovely sentiment.

My favourite track on the album even if I would like the chorus to be a bit more dramatic.

The way the charts are compiled now this would have little chance of charting if released as a single but in the good old days this could have been a big hit in the UK.