[REMOVE ADS]

which songs best highlight the group?

hope i can explain this premise well

which song[[s) do you thing make best use of the group? this doesn't automatically mean tons of 3 part harmonies or shared leads. But some songs really are just a lead with basic ooo's from the background. not hugely compelling examples, even if the song is a good one

some examples that come to my mind:

Come See About Me - such a classic call and response but you absolutely could not cut the lead or the bg vocals. masterful

You can't hurry love - while the bg vocals are just oooo'ing on the verses, the girls assume the role of the Mother, warning the lead that "you have to wait, you have to give and take." There's a clear role here and really adds the charm to the record

Sweet Dream Machine - gorgeous 3-part harmonies, gorgeous shared lead vocals. a very sensuous recording that spotlights each woman

The Lady is a Tramp

Diana leading the song with playful interaction with the girls.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 07-27-2021 at 03:43 PM.

"Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" [[b side to "I Hear a Symphony" and from the More Hits album).

Stoned love
    Up the ladder to the roof
    You keep me hanging on
    Come see about me

Of the singles, "Come See About Me" is definitely an easy answer. It's a pure group sound and highlights the total package.

"You Keep Me Hangin On" is another. Doubling Diana was a smart move. On the version where she isn't doubled, she comes across thin and frail, which doesn't work at all against the aggressiveness of the track and Flo and Mary's vocals. Once doubled, Diana matches the intensity of the track and keeps up with Flo and Mary, who are killing it. I listen to songs like "I Hear A Symphony" and "My World Is Empty" and I might ask myself, "Would these songs be equally as good if the backing vocals were removed?" My answer would be either "probably" [[in the case of "Symphony) or an unequivocal "yes" [[in the case of "My World"). "You Keep Me Hangin On" would not be the classic it is, IMO, if not for Diana's doubling and Flo and Mary's vocals, making it a perfect group record.

"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" also gets my vote. Without Flo and Mary's contribution, I think the song loses some of it's charm. Even though "Come See About Me" has a sad lyric, Diana doesn't really approach the song in that way. Likewise, Flo and Mary sound rather chipper, belying the desperate storyline. "Hangin"'s lyrics allow for a vocal interpretation of the singer just being tired of the emotional rollercoaster and the singer can almost beg the suitor to just please leave her alone. The aggressive tone of the Supremes' version, though, is more direct. Even though there are several questions asked in the lyrics, Diana, Flo and Mary are really telling this dude to take a hike as opposed to asking him to do it. I think Flo and Mary make that even more clear than Diana does, doubled or not. Like I said before, aggressive. Now compare all of that to what they do on "Love Is Here". They do such a great job of echoing Diana's pain. One of my all time favorite Supremes moments is when Diana sings "Look at my face", "After you made me all your own", and "left me all alone" and Flo and Mary repeat these, there's such a sadness in the echoes. It's like Diana is pointing these things out to this dude and Flo and Mary come in to really hammer home how much this hurts. It's like someone saying "You hurt me. YOU! HURT! ME!" Diana would be the "You hurt me" part, while Flo and Mary would be the "YOU! HURT! ME!" They lay me out with this cut every time.

Both "Bad Weather" and "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" illustrate the sound of JML IMO. I personally don't feel that any of the pre Lynda singles really highlight the group as much as they highlight the specialness of Jean. But "Miss the Man" and "Weather" do a pretty good job of this. Especially "Bad Weather" where I feel Mary and Lynda's backing vocals are just as important as anything else going on in the song, especially when they cut loose toward the end.

And of course "A Breath Taking Guy".
    Last edited by RanRan79; 07-28-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Of course there are numerous album cuts and previously unreleased cuts that highlight the various groupings. "Come On Boy", "He's My Sunny Boy", "I Wish I Were Your Mirror", "Seed Of Love", "We Should Be Closer Together".

RanRan99, I enjoyed reading your analysis of those songs.

Regarding your reference to "My World is Empty Without You.": The background vocals in that song add nothing to the final production value, in my opinion. This has nothing to do with Mary or Florence's abilities; but with the structure of the song. Even as far back in the mix as those voices are, I always found it quite distracting to hear those Oooooos.

It's interesting that there is one television performance of the song which I think was a Sammy Davis Jr. special in which the mic levels were not quite right. The background vocals were revved up which was a major distraction to the performance itself. Of course, the anti-Diana crowd loved it because they thought that Diana was being put in her place, and the vocals of the 'better singers' were being showcased.

great discussions!

i'm going to share a different POV on My World. there is such a haunting quality to the song. Ran you're right that songs like Baby Love and Come See are sad lyrics but so bright and chipper in sound. My World is a beauty of a track that is sad, forlorn and all but without sounding like a funeral dirge or a suicide note.

You have Diana alone "with these four walls" as she sits in her room, abandoned, crying, missing her love. M and F are definitely utilized much less than something like Back In My Arms but i do think they're utilized in an interesting manner. they're ghostly voices calling out "i need you babe." these whispers that definitely add to the haunting quality of the song. they aren't given much to say - just "oooo, i need you babe" so you don't have a head scratcher like the indecipherable lyrics on Forever Came Today. you can pretty easily figure out what they're saying and then these ghostly voices just are incessant and never ending.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Both "Bad Weather" and "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" illustrate the sound of JML IMO. I personally don't feel that any of the pre Lynda singles really highlight the group as much as they highlight the specialness of Jean. But "Miss the Man" and "Weather" do a pretty good job of this. Especially "Bad Weather" where I feel Mary and Lynda's backing vocals are just as important as anything else going on in the song, especially when they cut loose toward the end.
    interesting! and see i would vote these two as the least "group highlight" of the Jean years. IMO IGIMTM is just a standard lead and bg vocals. it's lovely and they sound nice but that's it. and same with BW. and that's one of my complaints of Stevie's production. I don't think he is really a "group" producer versus a "soloist" producer. Frank Wilson had worked to develop more of a group sound and incorporate M and C more into the overall concept. Same with Smokey and the FJ set.

maybe a way to better describe it is: Did the producer, writer and arrangers sit down and think, Ok I have J, M and C and how would we develop this song for those 3 vocalist?

Of the singles, "Come See About Me" is definitely an easy answer. It's a pure group sound and highlights the total package.

"You Keep Me Hangin On" is another. Doubling Diana was a smart move. On the version where she isn't doubled, she comes across thin and frail, which doesn't work at all against the aggressiveness of the track and Flo and Mary's vocals. Once doubled, Diana matches the intensity of the track and keeps up with Flo and Mary, who are killing it. I listen to songs like "I Hear A Symphony" and "My World Is Empty" and I might ask myself, "Would these songs be equally as good if the backing vocals were removed?" My answer would be either "probably" [[in the case of "Symphony) or an unequivocal "yes" [[in the case of "My World"). "You Keep Me Hangin On" would not be the classic it is, IMO, if not for Diana's doubling and Flo and Mary's vocals, making it a perfect group record.

"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" also gets my vote. Without Flo and Mary's contribution, I think the song loses some of it's charm. Even though "Come See About Me" has a sad lyric, Diana doesn't really approach the song in that way. Likewise, Flo and Mary sound rather chipper, belying the desperate storyline. "Hangin"'s lyrics allow for a vocal interpretation of the singer just being tired of the emotional rollercoaster and the singer can almost beg the suitor to just please leave her alone. The aggressive tone of the Supremes' version, though, is more direct. Even though there are several questions asked in the lyrics, Diana, Flo and Mary are really telling this dude to take a hike as opposed to asking him to do it. I think Flo and Mary make that even more clear than Diana does, doubled or not. Like I said before, aggressive. Now compare all of that to what they do on "Love Is Here". They do such a great job of echoing Diana's pain. One of my all time favorite Supremes moments is when Diana sings "Look at my face", "After you made me all your own", and "left me all alone" and Flo and Mary repeat these, there's such a sadness in the echoes. It's like Diana is pointing these things out to this dude and Flo and Mary come in to really hammer home how much this hurts. It's like someone saying "You hurt me. YOU! HURT! ME!" Diana would be the "You hurt me" part, while Flo and Mary would be the "YOU! HURT! ME!" They lay me out with this cut every time.

And of course "A Breath Taking Guy".
    Great post! Where is the non-doubled version of YKMHO found? I’m drawing a blank at the moment…

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post

Regarding your reference to "My World is Empty Without You.": The background vocals in that song add nothing to the final production value, in my opinion. This has nothing to do with Mary or Florence's abilities; but with the structure of the song. Even as far back in the mix as those voices are, I always found it quite distracting to hear those Oooooos.

It's interesting that there is one television performance of the song which I think was a Sammy Davis Jr. special in which the mic levels were not quite right. The background vocals were revved up which was a major distraction to the performance itself. Of course, the anti-Diana crowd loved it because they thought that Diana was being put in her place, and the vocals of the 'better singers' were being showcased.
    Anyone know where to find video of that “My World…” performance? Is this when Flo supposedly took Diana’s louder mic on purpose? Or am I mixing up my Supremes folklore?
    Last edited by ejluther; 07-28-2021 at 08:52 PM.

I don't think Flo too the loud mic it was placed at her position so that was staging and sounds fault not Flo's

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I don't think Flo too the loud mic it was placed at her position so that was staging and sounds fault not Flo's
    Where can we see/hear it for ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Where can we see/hear it for ourselves?
    Here you go:

My World is Empty Without You is my favorite HDH produced hit. A masterpiece of production. And the background vocals on it are perfectly set. Faint. Atmospheric. Haunting. Never been crazy about the live performances of the song by DMF/C, whether in full or in the hits medley. The arrangement of the live song made it another razz-ma-tazz show room tune. Fun and frothy, but in no ways does it compare to the record.

Thanks! I don't find Flo and Mary distracting on "My World", but I think the song would be just as good without them.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    great discussions!

i'm going to share a different POV on My World. there is such a haunting quality to the song. Ran you're right that songs like Baby Love and Come See are sad lyrics but so bright and chipper in sound. My World is a beauty of a track that is sad, forlorn and all but without sounding like a funeral dirge or a suicide note.

You have Diana alone "with these four walls" as she sits in her room, abandoned, crying, missing her love. M and F are definitely utilized much less than something like Back In My Arms but i do think they're utilized in an interesting manner. they're ghostly voices calling out "i need you babe." these whispers that definitely add to the haunting quality of the song. they aren't given much to say - just "oooo, i need you babe" so you don't have a head scratcher like the indecipherable lyrics on Forever Came Today. you can pretty easily figure out what they're saying and then these ghostly voices just are incessant and never ending.
    I can agree that Flo and Mary's vocals add to the dark feel of the song. However, I just don't think their contribution is pivotal to the song. Diana's vocal coupled with the Funks' backing accomplishes the point of the lyrics well enough on their own. Now to make myself clear, I am not suggesting that Flo and Mary should've been removed from the song. Only that their roles aren't as pivotal as they are on other cuts.

To piggyback on your example of "Back In My Arms Again", sometimes less is more. Take "Where Did Our Love Go" for instance. Great song, one of my absolute favs [[I never tire of hearing it), but it's not a song I would suggest that highlights the group. Flo is barely audible. It's basically a Diana and Mary duet. And the "baby, baby...ooh baby, baby" backing lyrics is almost idiotically simple. However, Mary's contribution is as important as Diana's IMO. Remove her [[and Flo, I guess) and it is not the same song, won't have the same effect. So sometimes even when the ladies aren't doing a whole lot, like they do on "Come See" or "Back In My Arms", it's still highly effective.

interesting! and see i would vote these two as the least "group highlight" of the Jean years. IMO IGIMTM is just a standard lead and bg vocals. it's lovely and they sound nice but that's it. and same with BW. and that's one of my complaints of Stevie's production. I don't think he is really a "group" producer versus a "soloist" producer. Frank Wilson had worked to develop more of a group sound and incorporate M and C more into the overall concept. Same with Smokey and the FJ set.

maybe a way to better describe it is: Did the producer, writer and arrangers sit down and think, Ok I have J, M and C and how would we develop this song for those 3 vocalist?
    I actually have to agree with you on "Miss the Man". I love everything about that record so I probably got carried away listing it in this thread. Standard lead and backing vocals is an accurate way of describing it. But I disagree on "Weather". Mary and Lynda's contribution to "Bad Weather" is as important as Jean and the band. IMO the song would be less exciting without their harmonies and then the way they break out toward the end.

My problem with the JMC lineup is that the singles rarely capture Mary and Cindy without augmentation from someone else or they're buried in the mix. One rare example to the contrary is "Everybody's Got the Right To Love". I should've spotlighted that one in my original response to the thread. Jean sounds great and Mary and Cindy's harmonies are spot on and pivotal to the song's charm. My only criticism is that the recorded version would've been even better if Mary and Cindy did the "oohs" during the verses as they do on the live versions.

Great post! Where is the non-doubled version of YKMHO found? I’m drawing a blank at the moment…
    Thanks! It's on the Sing HDH expanded edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    My World is Empty Without You is my favorite HDH produced hit. A masterpiece of production. And the background vocals on it are perfectly set. Faint. Atmospheric. Haunting. Never been crazy about the live performances of the song by DMF/C, whether in full or in the hits medley. The arrangement of the live song made it another razz-ma-tazz show room tune. Fun and frothy, but in no ways does it compare to the record.
    Agree 1000 percent on the live version. It never accurately captures the point. Say what you will about the Scherrie years, but when they perform "My World" they really get into the meat and potatoes of what the song is all about.

"Where Did Our Love Go"", of course. I've always thought as this as almost a duet of Diana and Mary.

"You Can't Hurry Love". CLASSIC SUPREMES, even if it's JUST Diana and Mary. The Motown Sound at it's finest.

Here you go:
    Thanks for the link!

I can agree that Flo and Mary's vocals add to the dark feel of the song. However, I just don't think their contribution is pivotal to the song. Diana's vocal coupled with the Funks' backing accomplishes the point of the lyrics well enough on their own. Now to make myself clear, I am not suggesting that Flo and Mary should've been removed from the song. Only that their roles aren't as pivotal as they are on other cuts.

To piggyback on your example of "Back In My Arms Again", sometimes less is more. Take "Where Did Our Love Go" for instance. Great song, one of my absolute favs [[I never tire of hearing it), but it's not a song I would suggest that highlights the group. Flo is barely audible. It's basically a Diana and Mary duet. And the "baby, baby...ooh baby, baby" backing lyrics is almost idiotically simple. However, Mary's contribution is as important as Diana's IMO. Remove her [[and Flo, I guess) and it is not the same song, won't have the same effect. So sometimes even when the ladies aren't doing a whole lot, like they do on "Come See" or "Back In My Arms", it's still highly effective.
    see WDOLG is sort of what prompted this thread. but i do agree with you that the group is better highlighted with other songs. Still there's a marvelous ping-pong effect with the vocals on Where. listen to when diana finishes a phrase and the *pop* there's the "baby baby" from M and F. so Where is a great record [[even if i don't listen to it all that often). it's just that HDH were so brilliant they took a great record and did something even greater with it [[come see about me)

Agree 1000 percent on the live version. It never accurately captures the point. Say what you will about the Scherrie years, but when they perform "My World" they really get into the meat and potatoes of what the song is all about.
    IMO there are 3 versions of My World. and you could probably have recorded each as a single and each would have worked.

Original - this is clearly the best and is timeless

Diana-era live - you would have taken the song and done something like In My Lonely Room or a more upbeat, traditional Motown sound and it still would have worked well. maybe it could have charted top ten. but at least top 15 and certainly an excellent album filler

70s live version - jean was great but i think Scherrie really excelled at the slow ballad burn of the song.

Thanks! It's on the Sing HDH expanded edition.
    Spinning it now - the doubled track is definitely missed when not there. As you pointed out, she sounds broken without it but, with it, she’s got a lot more sass and fire! I seem to remember HDH being impressed she could double herself so closely. There are a few spots where there’s some differences between the two takes but they give the record some style, IMO. When else was Diana’s lead doubled like that?

I Guess I'll Miss the Man live version was a great showcase for JML could do as a group.

And despite all the talk of the DRATS era pushing Diana as a solo act and relegating Mary and Cindy to being "drapes", there a number of live performances, especially on the showtune and nightclub/showroom material or TV special performance material such as Fats Waller, Hey Big Spender, Irving Berlin, Lady is a Tramp/Let's Get Away, etc, which show case DMC as a group quite well.

IMO there are 3 versions of My World. and you could probably have recorded each as a single and each would have worked.

Original - this is clearly the best and is timeless

Diana-era live - you would have taken the song and done something like In My Lonely Room or a more upbeat, traditional Motown sound and it still would have worked well. maybe it could have charted top ten. but at least top 15 and certainly an excellent album filler

70s live version - jean was great but i think Scherrie really excelled at the slow ballad burn of the song.
    Agreed. Would've been interesting if HDH had decided to rework the song into a more upbeat tune for A Go Go.

Spinning it now - the doubled track is definitely missed when not there. As you pointed out, she sounds broken without it but, with it, she’s got a lot more sass and fire! I seem to remember HDH being impressed she could double herself so closely. There are a few spots where there’s some differences between the two takes but they give the record some style, IMO. When else was Diana’s lead doubled like that?
    The entire Copa album is Diana doubled if I recall correctly. After the actual recording, Diana went into the studio to sing along. Can't quite recall whether this was because of a sound issue or because it was thought she didn't sound quite right.

Other than that, I can't recall her being doubled during the Supremes.

I Guess I'll Miss the Man live version was a great showcase for JML could do as a group.

And despite all the talk of the DRATS era pushing Diana as a solo act and relegating Mary and Cindy to being "drapes", there a number of live performances, especially on the showtune and nightclub/showroom material or TV special performance material such as Fats Waller, Hey Big Spender, Irving Berlin, Lady is a Tramp/Let's Get Away, etc, which show case DMC as a group quite well.
    Yeah, that's one of the interesting aspects of DRATS. Mary and Cindy were certainly more often than not "drapes", but there was some exceptional live performances planned that showcased them as a group. Of course, make no mistake about it, it was all still a part of Gordy's master plan to show the versatility of Diana Ross, potential solo star, than it was any favor to Mary and Cindy. The Supremes with Flo were mostly a "traditional" singing trio that toward the end started to move into a more all around entertainer type group. With Flo out and Cindy in, DRATS were no longer the girls next door. They were grown women, fit for the stages of the Sinatras, and Sammy Davis', and such.

You're absolutely right. during the DRATS era they group still made some amazing music. all of those tv performances are amazing. and the entire group is displayed wonderfully. Although i don't really like it, He's My Sunny Boy could be another example. those backing parts from M and C really add to the song and there's wonderful group interaction.

i just think the song is dumb lol

The entire Copa album is Diana doubled if I recall correctly. After the actual recording, Diana went into the studio to sing along. Can't quite recall whether this was because of a sound issue or because it was thought she didn't sound quite right.

Other than that, I can't recall her being doubled during the Supremes.
    i think it's just YKMHO and Copa

From the solo years, but the song that comes to mind is And If You See Him. She duets with herself on much of the song, which really adds to the song…

Back In My Arms Again really portrays the group vibe to me. Flo and Mary give power to chorus and their oohs give added detail to the song. The master stroke for me is the “how can Mary… and Flo she don’t know….” verse which brings them both right into the heart of the song.

The US television program featuring the group in shadows during the intro also underpinned the song being very much a group performance.

I’m amazed that this brilliant song failed to chart in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Back In My Arms Again really portrays the group vibe to me. Flo and Mary give power to chorus and their oohs give added detail to the song. The master stroke for me is the “how can Mary… and Flo she don’t know….” verse which brings them both right into the heart of the song.

The US television program featuring the group in shadows during the intro also underpinned the song being very much a group performance.

I’m amazed that this brilliant song failed to chart in the UK.
    I agree with all this, although Come See About Me is my favorite group single performance.

When I first heard BIMAA, I had no idea who Mary and Flo were, until I later saw the More Hits album cover, still one of my favorite covers. The Hullabaloo television performance also remains one of my favorite images of the group.

the hullabaloo BIMAA episode is one of the best overall Supremes tv appearances. and not just when they sang Back, although that is just perfect. every time the trio appeared during the show they are just bursting with energy and excitement. all three are so vividly animated, huge smiles, super excited, playful, giving fun glances to one another, adding a little sass to things. They're like this during BIMAA, You're Nobody, the top picks segment.

plus all of the singing is live!

it clearly demonstrates what makes them so special

there's a recently unearthed Mike Douglas show from right around this time too. The do Stop, BIMAA, Somewhere, You're nobody. and again, they've wonderfully engaging.

I think “Sing Country” and many of the “Rodgers & Hart” recordings highlight that cohesive group sound. Each group member bringing something to the table.

The group that had it all at their prime.

https://youtu.be/i8O6tEYKNRM

Original Grouping:
    Where Did Our Love Go?
    Come See About Me
    Falling In Love with Love
    DRATS:
    Ed Sullivan standards
    The 70's Supremes:
    Up The Ladder To The Roof
    Stoned Love
    Automatically Sunshine
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking

i would add to my list ,
    love is here and now you're gone
    you cant hurry love
    gonna let my heart do the walking

My favorite group moment is in “Baby I Need You Loving” when the instruments drop out except percussion and it’s just those 3 incredible yearning voices…pure heaven to me! The link below should take you directly to 2:21 where the moment starts:

https://youtu.be/QXimWaowx34?t=141
    Last edited by ejluther; 08-01-2021 at 01:18 AM.

My favorite group moment is in “Baby I Need You Loving” when the instruments drop out except percussion and it’s just those 3 incredible yearning voices…pure heaven to me! The link below should take you directly to 2:21 where the moment starts:

Agree, an exciting group moment. Mary coming through loud and clear on those background vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think “Sing Country” and many of the “Rodgers & Hart” recordings highlight that cohesive group sound. Each group member bringing something to the table.
    I would add to that the Sam Cooke album. My criticism of the decision to use LA musicians instead of the Funks aside, vocally the ladies were spot on. "Cupid", "Chain Gang", "Bring It On Home To Me", "Wonderful World"...I can listen to those all day because of the way the group is on display.

Absolutely a favorite of mine!

Also "Sleepwalk" and "All Of A Sudden My Heart Sings" have the group sound.

I love the background for where did our love go because I think it creates A somewhat melancholy, ethereal yet deep mood That provides the setting for Diana to read the lyrics in a bluesy style. The entire mood would be destroyed when they did it live unfortunately.

I like hearing my world so empty without you with the full background just to show how much I prefer it without it. As others have stated it’s an exquisite reading by her and they totally blow it on the show with the lighting, the background vocals, the staging, the cornball ending, and her grabbing her microphone and showboating around at the end.
    I wish they had done it in softer light with Mary and flow tune way down and subdued visually some white so that Diana could get her point across in a serious dramatic fashion. Here they just throw it away, but I love Mary’s hair and her gown is the only one that is the correct length, I saw those gowns in person the first time I saw them they look like 1 million bucks, by the end of the year they would look like dishrags compared to what they were wearing.

I agree with ran ran JML had a great sound and mary and lynda‘s voices were both strong and blended perfectly together and they all sounded great on that record as a group.

I think the group shines on “more” and the JMC Medley on Ed Sullivan is a stupendous group vocal.

Of course come see about me, and you keep me hanging on. The great thing about that is that technically, all three are singing different backgrounds, with Flo performing two different backgrounds All of which I believe are essential, as it has been mentioned, to make that record a timeless classic.

I agree 100% with you ejluther except the mono version accentuates what you stated so much better starting at 2:21. I recall, back in the day, how disappointed I was when I exchanged my mono version of A Go Go lp away for the stereo version for the one reason of that particular section of the song which you are referring. Here's the mono version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfYUN6cVBE

I agree 100% with you ejluther except the mono version accentuates what you stated so much better starting at 2:21. I recall, back in the day, how disappointed I was when I exchanged my mono version of A Go Go lp away for the stereo version for the one reason of that particular section of the song which you are referring. Here's the mono version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfYUN6cVBE
    Thank you for this! How lucky we are to have two different versions of this wonderful moment/song, right?