[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    109

    Diana Ross & The Supremes "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" on The Ed Sullivan


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    109
    May 11, 1969

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    136
    I love this clip more than chocolate! If there was ANY doubt about Miss Ross making it as a solo, this should have quelled it. Perhaps my favorite Ed Sullivan performance is the impossible dream/you’re nobody. there are no words. THIS is a star. She hails both songs, totally different, to perfection. Mary and Cindy are also in top form, [[but how I wish Flo was in this episode.)

    I am so glad that you posted this because it’s so clear for the first time ever I have seen the actual design of the beads.

    THANK YOU1!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,511
    Rep Power
    133
    Diana fully demonstrating that unique brand of star quality that only superstars possess.
    Cindy is fine, but miss Flo who was always in top form when performing this number.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    149
    Yes, Diana was indeed demonstrating that her star quality was too confined to remain a member of a group.
    Last edited by jobucats; 07-27-2021 at 10:26 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,909
    Rep Power
    197
    the story goes that the girls were planning on singing two songs again - Nothing But Heartaches and You're Nobody. but just like their first Sullivan performance, they were cut down to 1 song. Berry opted to cut Heartaches in order to emphasize the girls' versatility and showmanship. plus this was right around the time of the Copa debut

    I've always wondered what song #2 was for the Come See About Me performance. I'm guessing Anyone Who Had a Heart or maybe I Am Woman?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,909
    Rep Power
    197
    ooops lol i thought this was the clip of DMF [[my computer was slow and hadn't loaded the video before i scrolled past)

    my comments were in regards to the earlier clip of You're Nobody. This one with DMC and Ed goofing off with them is wonderful. he clearly loved the girls

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,108
    Rep Power
    69
    “We’ll get rid of you.”

    lol

    Diana found her greatness. When she starts to sing, “you’re nobody” the natural musicality of her voice is so clear. Brilliant singer and performer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,458
    Rep Power
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ooops lol i thought this was the clip of DMF [[my computer was slow and hadn't loaded the video before i scrolled past)

    my comments were in regards to the earlier clip of You're Nobody. This one with DMC and Ed goofing off with them is wonderful. he clearly loved the girls
    You had me scared there for a minute.

    Re the 1965 performance, it actually took place in October. Even though it has been written that NBH was dropped, considering the date, it makes more sense that it was actually I HEAR A SYMPHONY that was dropped especially since it had just been released.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,909
    Rep Power
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    You had me scared there for a minute.

    Re the 1965 performance, it actually took place in October. Even though it has been written that NBH was dropped, considering the date, it makes more sense that it was actually I HEAR A SYMPHONY that was dropped especially since it had just been released.
    good call!! you're right! just look at my timeline and yes, this was Oct 10 65. Symphony was just released only days prior. maybe then the plan was to do that number but it was cut.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,458
    Rep Power
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the story goes that the girls were planning on singing two songs again - Nothing But Heartaches and You're Nobody. but just like their first Sullivan performance, they were cut down to 1 song. Berry opted to cut Heartaches in order to emphasize the girls' versatility and showmanship. plus this was right around the time of the Copa debut

    I've always wondered what song #2 was for the Come See About Me performance. I'm guessing Anyone Who Had a Heart or maybe I Am Woman?
    They had done I AM WOMAN earlier in the year on Steve Allen. It probably would have worked on Sullivan as well, short and sweet. Or maybe a shortened version of MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,534
    Rep Power
    191
    This song should have been retired when Diana departed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,909
    Rep Power
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    This song should have been retired when Diana departed.
    agreed. the DRATS era song book should have been put away for good - TCB, Somewhere, You're nobody.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.