[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & The Supremes "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" on The Ed Sullivan

May 11, 1969

I love this clip more than chocolate! If there was ANY doubt about Miss Ross making it as a solo, this should have quelled it. Perhaps my favorite Ed Sullivan performance is the impossible dream/you’re nobody. there are no words. THIS is a star. She hails both songs, totally different, to perfection. Mary and Cindy are also in top form, [[but how I wish Flo was in this episode.)

I am so glad that you posted this because it’s so clear for the first time ever I have seen the actual design of the beads.

THANK YOU1!!!!

Diana fully demonstrating that unique brand of star quality that only superstars possess.
    Cindy is fine, but miss Flo who was always in top form when performing this number.

Yes, Diana was indeed demonstrating that her star quality was too confined to remain a member of a group.
    Last edited by jobucats; 07-27-2021 at 10:26 AM.

the story goes that the girls were planning on singing two songs again - Nothing But Heartaches and You're Nobody. but just like their first Sullivan performance, they were cut down to 1 song. Berry opted to cut Heartaches in order to emphasize the girls' versatility and showmanship. plus this was right around the time of the Copa debut

I've always wondered what song #2 was for the Come See About Me performance. I'm guessing Anyone Who Had a Heart or maybe I Am Woman?

ooops lol i thought this was the clip of DMF [[my computer was slow and hadn't loaded the video before i scrolled past)

my comments were in regards to the earlier clip of You're Nobody. This one with DMC and Ed goofing off with them is wonderful. he clearly loved the girls

“We’ll get rid of you.”

lol

Diana found her greatness. When she starts to sing, “you’re nobody” the natural musicality of her voice is so clear. Brilliant singer and performer.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ooops lol i thought this was the clip of DMF [[my computer was slow and hadn't loaded the video before i scrolled past)

my comments were in regards to the earlier clip of You're Nobody. This one with DMC and Ed goofing off with them is wonderful. he clearly loved the girls
    You had me scared there for a minute.

Re the 1965 performance, it actually took place in October. Even though it has been written that NBH was dropped, considering the date, it makes more sense that it was actually I HEAR A SYMPHONY that was dropped especially since it had just been released.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    You had me scared there for a minute.

Re the 1965 performance, it actually took place in October. Even though it has been written that NBH was dropped, considering the date, it makes more sense that it was actually I HEAR A SYMPHONY that was dropped especially since it had just been released.
    good call!! you're right! just look at my timeline and yes, this was Oct 10 65. Symphony was just released only days prior. maybe then the plan was to do that number but it was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the story goes that the girls were planning on singing two songs again - Nothing But Heartaches and You're Nobody. but just like their first Sullivan performance, they were cut down to 1 song. Berry opted to cut Heartaches in order to emphasize the girls' versatility and showmanship. plus this was right around the time of the Copa debut

I've always wondered what song #2 was for the Come See About Me performance. I'm guessing Anyone Who Had a Heart or maybe I Am Woman?
    They had done I AM WOMAN earlier in the year on Steve Allen. It probably would have worked on Sullivan as well, short and sweet. Or maybe a shortened version of MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY.

This song should have been retired when Diana departed.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    This song should have been retired when Diana departed.
    agreed. the DRATS era song book should have been put away for good - TCB, Somewhere, You're nobody.