The Bob Guardino [[sp.) thread got me thinking--do you all think that Motown released too many Diana Ross albums in the 70s? It seems like a few of the albums seem so unnecessary. That they were released just to have fresh product on the market to keep her name in the public eye. But by Lady Sings the Blues she was a superstar. Something really special. Surely they could have been a bit more judicious with the releases. Was Last time I saw him, or Ross 78 really necessary? Some of the albums do come across a true projects while others just gathered random songs she recorded and assembled into an album featuring the latest hit of some stature. I know Columbia released loads of Barbra Streisand albums in the 70s as well so it was industry practice to issue an album or two a year on acts that had some sizable following. What was the game changer in terms of an artist having to release at least an album a year? Michael Jackson in the 80s when he took several years to release a follow up to Thriller?