[REMOVE ADS]

Question for ralph

Hi,ralph,when you're in the studio recording an artist,and it's time to fade the song who desides when to fade? And how long does the artist continue to sing? Just wondering.

R&B, you don't do the fade until the mix. While recording you just have the artist sing long enough to cover the time the fade will take.

Thanks ralph!

I'll never forget mixing a song with Billie Jean Brown. At one point she turned to me and said "I've had enough, fade it!"

The reason for fades was that the volume level of a 45 drops like a rock at three minutes. We wanted to be at least as loud as everybody else in the broadcast programming meetings where airplay decisions were being made.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_olhsson View Post
    I'll never forget mixing a song with Billie Jean Brown. At one point she turned to me and said "I've had enough, fade it!"

The reason for fades was that the volume level of a 45 drops like a rock at three minutes. We wanted to be at least as loud as everybody else in the broadcast programming meetings where airplay decisions were being made.
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the song turned out to be The Monitors' "Don't Put Off Till Tomorrow What You Can Do Today." Not saying that it was, but the song came to mind because the version we got on one of the Cellarful collections was a complete revelation. Had no idea that song went on so long and when you thought it was over, there was yet another part at the end that kept going on. Actually, I love finding that a lot of these songs went on way longer than we ever thought.

"The reason for fades was that the volume level of a 45 drops like a rock at three minutes." Really! There are constantly newer and newer things to learn here every day!