[REMOVE ADS]

A few early Supremes backgrounds for Don McKenzie and Wilson Pickett

I 've been listening to a lot of early 60's era recordings lately and I've come to really appreciate these artist in their earliest days.

The early Sups provided backgrounds for quite a few artists both Motown and non Motown. Here are a two that I have rediscovered
    sang the BG vocals for Don McKenzie's 1961 song title Whose heart Are you gonna break now)

They were diamonds in the rough, not unlike most early girl groups of that time. You can definitely hear that the goods were there imo.

The same applies to the Andantes as they have that early girl group sound accompanying the Distants on "Come On"

Last edited by CoolKatz; 07-18-2021 at 08:10 AM.

I love the girls on both of Don McKenzie's cuts, "I'll Call You" and "Whose Heart". As a foursome they had a great sound, but that sound often drastically changed when any one girl was pulled out to do the lead.

I've never been convinced that the Supremes are on "Let Me Be Your Boy". There are some other tunes from Lupine and other Detroit labels where they girls clearly moonlight, but I just don't think "Let Me" is one of them.