[REMOVE ADS]

Unreleased Because Not Up To Scratch.

There was mention some time ago by Paul or Keith I think? Regarding unreleased songs that were defective for some reason or another and not deemed worthy of release. Is it possible to get a list of these titles and is it possible to obtain copies. Please!

That would be great to know.

I was hoping to get a reply to this mowsville and I`m very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I was hoping to get a reply to this mowsville and I`m very disappointed.
    The reason that you have not recieved a reply is that the question has limitless answers - for every track that was originally released back in the day there were probably 5 others that could have been [[this number is approximate and should not be taken as a given) and probably 10 others that never progressed beyond demo stage, band track stage and some never even got to full band track stage. It would be an impossible task to list all of those and reasons for their non suitability.
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 07-25-2021 at 07:37 AM.

It seems theres little folks on here want to discuss anymore other than how great Diana Ross is Roger...the same thing happened to me with the last thread I posted...dont get me wrong Im a big Supremes/Diana fan but its getting very boring..we need some new releases to discuss and dissect .....perhaps things will get going again with the release of "More Motown Girls" from ACE.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    It seems theres little folks on here want to discuss anymore other than how great Diana Ross is Roger...the same thing happened to me with the last thread I posted...dont get me wrong Im a big Supremes/Diana fan but its getting very boring..we need some new releases to discuss and dissect .....perhaps things will get going again with the release of "More Motown Girls" from ACE.
    It's perhaps that the audience is geting smaller each passing year and with ot the potential sales grow smaller and so releases get fewer and there is less to discuss other than go over old ground. I love it whne the fans find and talk about alternate versions on established releases - passing on that information to those of us that may have missed the fact in the first place. I also notice that when a release is imminenet that discussion becomes more frequent but the very minute the release drops all talk stops and the requests for the next one start.

What do you mean by defective? A song that was botched in the recording/production process--such as too many bad notes, or a mistake in the mixing process? Or are you referring to songs that were vaulted after quality control meetings turned them down for lacking hit potential, and worse, not even worthy of being added as filler material for an album?

I've heard some of the expanded editions and lost and founds, and by and large, the songs that were unvaulted for such releases were meh for me. I get why they were vaulted as they just weren't good enough. Motown was in the business to make money and to make money, they had to make hits. And their primary concern was to hit in the American pop and R and B music markets. They weren't going for, at the time, Northern soul music fan, which didn't really exist.

I'm sure between all the expanded releases and box sets and lost and founds, someone could comb through them as well as any books and other sources to compile a listing of songs/recordings that were vaulted. It's an interesting if obscure part of Motown history, if for nothing else because time, craft and talent was invested in producing those records that were ultimately not heard until many decades later, if at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    What do you mean by defective? A song that was botched in the recording/production process--such as too many bad notes, or a mistake in the mixing process? Or are you referring to songs that were vaulted after quality control meetings turned them down for lacking hit potential, and worse, not even worthy of being added as filler material for an album?

I've heard some of the expanded editions and lost and founds, and by and large, the songs that were unvaulted for such releases were meh for me. I get why they were vaulted as they just weren't good enough. Motown was in the business to make money and to make money, they had to make hits. And their primary concern was to hit in the American pop and R and B music markets. They weren't going for, at the time, Northern soul music fan, which didn't really exist.

I'm sure between all the expanded releases and box sets and lost and founds, someone could comb through them as well as any books and other sources to compile a listing of songs/recordings that were vaulted. It's an interesting if obscure part of Motown history, if for nothing else because time, craft and talent was invested in producing those records that were ultimately not heard until many decades later, if at that.
    Ihaven't used the term defective I do not think

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    In other words, you already answered the question and did it in enough depth that there is no need to keep going over it. Reading what you wrote up there, I think that answer covered enough of the bases.

Motown, and every other Indi label, could only get paid when we had another single that the stores and distributors needed. Berry Gordy's genius was the idea of records failing inside the company as opposed to out on the street. This remarkable level of success also led radio programmers to be willing to take a chance on new Motown artists. Classic Motown was an artist management and music publishing company that had its own record label. I didn't really understand this until years later after I'd worked with other labels.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    And you did not use the term "defective." That was a word used in the original post.

Wow! Thanks for all your responses. I was under the assumption that it was only a very small amount of the vaulted tracks that were not being included because some problems in the master tapes. I am aware that a large number never received lead vocals, as for demos, let`s have them! I`d hate to think that we are missing out on a Shorty Long track because it didn`t have backing vocals.