[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit Area SDF Members

Hello friends. Was wondering if perhaps with the pandemic [[hopefully) mostly behind us and people getting out and about more, perhaps this is an idea whose time has come.

I recently moved back to the Detroit area where I grew up, after living on the West Coast for years. I was wondering if there was any interest amongst Detroit area SDF members to meet or get together once in a while and have our own "Motown related events," or just to socialize perhaps.

While living in Southern California, I really wanted to meet a few local members but it just never worked out, unfortunately. I've gotten to know a few members as friends, which has been wonderful. I also met a few of our fellow SDF friends at the two "Partners" concerts by Scherrie and Susaye, such as Joseph [["Sophisticated_Soul").

The most logical place to start might be a visit to the Motown Museum, although I believe it's closed right now for renovations. Still, there are probably lots of other things to do, or just to meet and talk about music would be fun as well. One thing I learned by becoming buddies with my friend Philles/Motown_Gary is that although we both love Motown, we almost never agree on any piece of music that Motown ever released! It's amazing to me, but I usually can figure how Gary will feel about an artist or song, simply by the way I feel. Usually if I like it, he won't and vice versa! I can't figure it out.

Anyway, if any local members might be interested, post here or send me an email. Perhaps we can plan for something later in the summer. It might be fun. After all, one can never have too many friends...or so I've been told!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    One thing I learned by becoming buddies with my friend Philles/Motown_Gary is that although we both love Motown, we almost never agree on any piece of music that Motown ever released! It's amazing to me, but I usually can figure how Gary will feel about an artist or song, simply by the way I feel. Usually if I like it, he won't and vice versa! I can't figure it out.
    So true, Kenny! Funny how that works, ain't it!

Hey Kenneth-

Big move. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Although I have met other SD members via e-mail, mail and phone, you were the first member I met in person. It was so awesome sharing both "Partners" concerts with you and other fans. Scherrie and Susaye were just so amazing and sweet to be around. It's a very favorite memory of mine and you will always be part of it.

Again, Good Luck in this new chapter of your life. JOsEph

I'm not in Detroit, but has Eastern Market re-opened? Maybe you can all arrange a get together there until Motown Museum reopens?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'm not in Detroit, but has Eastern Market re-opened? Maybe you can all arrange a get together there until Motown Museum reopens?

I will have to check into it and find out. I know there’s still some risk involved as far as COVID but I am ready to get out and be around people again. Maybe not a stadium full, but at least a small crowd!

Here's another suggestion--meet up on one of these nights at Hart Plaza. Especially on night for Jazz or R and B. Listen to some good music and then be able to eat, drink, chat, outside where it's safer. https://detroitriverfront.org/things...eries-d-cipher

I live in Detroit and would be interested in attending an SDF meetup, especially one that's outside.

Great, nsoule! I’ll wait and see if we get a few others who are interested and will send you an email soon. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    One thing I learned by becoming buddies with my friend Philles/Motown_Gary is that although we both love Motown, we almost never agree on any piece of music that Motown ever released! It's amazing to me, but I usually can figure how Gary will feel about an artist or song, simply by the way I feel. Usually if I like it, he won't and vice versa! I can't figure it out.
    Easy ! Gary has better taste! ..........Just kidding !

Hi Gary!

added: Hey Gary if I've gotten your attention , I'm listening to this link .....what is the inserted piece heard at the six minute mark ?? I feel like I should know ... Malaguena ?? no ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-30-2021 at 01:43 PM.

I don't think its ZORBA THE GREEK , but I stumbled on this great video!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Easy ! Gary has better taste! ..........Just kidding !

Hi Gary!

added: Hey Gary if I've gotten your attention , I'm listening to this link .....what is the inserted piece heard at the six minute mark ?? I feel like I should know ... Malaguena ?? no ...
    Now, Boogie, let's play nice with my buddy Kenny!

God, I love Meco's "A Disco Symphony"! Even after all these years, I still love it more and more every time I hear it!

To answer your question, I have no idea what song the Spanish segment is from -- IF it's even from another song. I'm thinking it's just a neat transition that Meco thought up to get from one point in the Symphony to the next point. Using real songs within the Symphony would require paying royalties to other record companies, as I'm sure Meco had to pay Motown for the "I Hear A Symphony" segment. Thanks to Harold Wheeler, there's no doubt that this Symphony is rich with thrilling transitions from start to finish. What I would like to know is, what is that beautiful segment from 5:04-5:46? Is that from another song, or is it just another one of many beautiful segues within this magnificent work?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Now, Boogie, let's play nice with my buddy Kenny!

God, I love Meco's "A Disco Symphony"! Even after all these years, I still love it more and more every time I hear it!

To answer your question, I have no idea what song the Spanish segment is from -- IF it's even from another song. I'm thinking it's just a neat transition that Meco thought up to get from one point in the Symphony to the next point. Using real songs within the Symphony would require paying royalties to other record companies, as I'm sure Meco had to pay Motown for the "I Hear A Symphony" segment. Thanks to Harold Wheeler, there's no doubt that this Symphony is rich with thrilling transitions from start to finish. What I would like to know is, what is that beautiful segment from 5:04-5:46? Is that from another song, or is it just another one of many beautiful segues within this magnificent work?

I don't recognize that part as being from somewhere else , but it is really nice. That entire creation is a fun ride, indeed thanks to the talents of Harold Wheeler. Such wizardry with interrelating instruments. Gary, your enthusiasm has me enjoying it much like I did back when it first came out . Fun over the top music .

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I don't recognize that part as being from somewhere else , but it is really nice. That entire creation is a fun ride, indeed thanks to the talents of Harold Wheeler. Such wizardry with interrelating instruments. Gary, your enthusiasm has me enjoying it much like I did back when it first came out . Fun over the top music .
    Ditto, Boogie! Your enthusiasm freshly sparks my enthusiasm for it, too! Like you, when I first bought the LP, I couldn't stop playing it for myself as well as for others. And others who heard it loved it, too! I'm surprised that it never caught on in the clubs. Should have been a huge hit. [[I just realized that we're still in Kenny's Detroit get-together thread. [[Sorry, Kenny!) Boogie, if you want to start a new thread, I'll join you there. [[PS: Are you aware that the green-colored video you supplied above is only the first half of the Symphony?)

yes I did notice that it ended abruptly, cutting off [fantastic] Mac Arthur Park portion.

Was on a teeny label , doubt it was serviced to the DJs .

OK let's return this thread to kenneth