[REMOVE ADS]

🍸 No One Gets The Prize🍸

Question is who is the prize :what a friggen incredible song it takes you to that place

it is an excellent song. hell the whole damn album is nothing but perfection. yes it is a disco album and it's a dated sound. but so is the motown sound from the 60s, the philly sound from the mid 70s, the madonna sound of 1985, the pop sounds of the girl groups and boy bands from 1999, etc, etc, etc.

IMO The Boss lp is Diana's best album and is just solid every step of the way

my only complaint is we've yet to get any EE of it beyond the cd from the early 2000s with the extended dance mixes

It would be nice if this album got the Royal treatment I often imagine a album like this with one hundred different songs

Why didn't they expand it and put new songs on it? I love her expanded versions!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Why didn't they expand it and put new songs on it? I love her expanded versions!
    There were no other "new" songs to put on it.
    '

i wonder if there might be some alt vocals like what they did with Baby It's Me. and didn't someone mention there's a 12" version of Once In The Morning?

seems like with Boss and diana 80 there weren't a bunch of additional tracks recorded. there might have been a few other demos considered but they probably went through the options and selected the 8 they wanted

with Baby It's Me, wasn't the idea originally to have her do 2 albums? so that might explain the extra tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i wonder if there might be some alt vocals like what they did with Baby It's Me. and didn't someone mention there's a 12" version of Once In The Morning?

seems like with Boss and diana 80 there weren't a bunch of additional tracks recorded. there might have been a few other demos considered but they probably went through the options and selected the 8 they wanted

with Baby It's Me, wasn't the idea originally to have her do 2 albums? so that might explain the extra tracks?
    I suspect there aren't a lot of additional tracks for THE BOSS and DIANA [[1980) because by that time, Diana probably realized the small fortune she spent on unreleased recordings over the years.

She gave a few interviews circa 1977 where she said she was recording two albums simultaneously to hold her over while THE WIZ was being filmed. I think BABY IT'S ME was one and disco material was going to make up the other.

Once in the morning should have been a single for sure..it would have been massive in the clubs at that time...so so many missed opportunities in her career its a wonder she was as big as she was.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Once in the morning should have been a single for sure..it would have been massive in the clubs at that time...so so many missed opportunities in her career its a wonder she was as big as she was.
    i agree. I just don't think It's My House was a great follow up to The Boss. out of all of the tracks on the album, this is the one i'd mark as "least favorite" but keep in mind i like it. just like the other tracks better. I think the problem with IMH is that it just meanders around without a real ending. after the bridge, when you get the big lift and build at "There's a welcome mat..." they should have kept that going and repeated that. but instead the song sort of dies down to the It's My House refrain.

i just think you could have made some adjustments to the tune

so as a follow up to The Boss, I think Morning or No One would have been excellent. Licked too

another thing to consider is Aug 79 was when that Disco Sucks riot occurred in the White Sox stadium. there was a definite growing backlash to disco at this point and I've always wondered if that maybe impacted the Billboard charting for The Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree. I just don't think It's My House was a great follow up to The Boss. out of all of the tracks on the album, this is the one i'd mark as "least favorite" but keep in mind i like it. just like the other tracks better. I think the problem with IMH is that it just meanders around without a real ending. after the bridge, when you get the big lift and build at "There's a welcome mat..." they should have kept that going and repeated that. but instead the song sort of dies down to the It's My House refrain.

i just think you could have made some adjustments to the tune

so as a follow up to The Boss, I think Morning or No One would have been excellent. Licked too
    Agree with you. House is very nice but the weakest track on the album. I always thought i ain't been licked would have been a great single. Our beloved Ms Ross also thought it should have been a single. She loved the Boss album, but she told me years later how angry she was by Motown's failure to get right behind it.

to stall out at 14 or so is a crime with this album. it absolutely should have gone top 10

it ran for 36 weeks on the charts which isn't too bad. that's longer than Touch Me In The Morning and longer than DR 76.

120-88-44-39-36-33-30-25-23-21-19-16-15-15-15-14-14-22-21-37-59-77-87-113-123-133-133-131-150-164-174-174-186-199-196-198

it made some early jumps up the chart but then sort of petered out once it got in the 30s. it spent 4 weeks dragging through the 30s and then 3 weeks bobbling around the 20s. it should have been spring boarding from 44 to 29 to 21 to 14 to 13...