[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jr. Walker’s “These Eyes”

Who played drums on Jr. Walker’s “These Eyes”? I must know!

Jr Walker's drummer was a cat named James Graves but I don't know if he played on the
    studio recording of These Eyes...He certainly was one hell of a drummer. Jr himself had
    so much soul and left us far too soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Nurnberg77 View Post
    Who played drums on Jr. Walker’s “These Eyes”? I must know!
    Probably Pistol Allen or Uriel Jones. The All-Stars hardly ever played in the studio with the Funks on the later recordings. Also, James Graves was killed in a car accident two years prior.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Probably Pistol Allen or Uriel Jones. The All-Stars hardly ever played in the studio with the Funks on the later recordings. Also, James Graves was killed in a car accident two years prior.
    That’s what I was thinking: Uriel or ”Pistol”, going by those pick-ups.

So that leaves me with the question of who was the drummer that toured and made the rounds on TV with Jr in the 70's.....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    So that leaves me with the question of who was the drummer that toured and made the rounds on TV with Jr in the 70's.....
    When Junior played the Hammersmith Odeon in 1973 and opened for The Temptations, his son was the drummer.

Yes, I remember hearing about the young Autry playing for his pops I just don't know
    the whole timeline. Wish someone had done an accurate biography on Jr with a thorough
    discography. Jr, Maceo Parker and the late King Curtis were my favorite saxophonist outside
    of jazz....

Most likely both Uriel and ”Pistol!”

Having listened to the single and album mixes, I think that it is both Uriel and Pistol.

Uriel's heavy-hitting style on the snare and toms is there right up front, along with his "Rat-tat-a-tat" pick ups.

I can also hear Pistol doing his normal work on the hi-hat, but it's much further back in the mix than I would have expected, making it slightly indistinct in both mono and stereo. That approach does seem to work for the track, however.

And is that Bob Babbit on bass?