[REMOVE ADS]

Question on Elgins USA release - VIP 25065 - Heaven Must Have Sent You

I have been searching for as long as I can remember trying to locate a clean 45 copy of the Elgins VIP 25065 Heaven Must Have Sent You b/w Stay In My Lonely Arms. But it has eluded me completely despite my searching.

As most Elgins fans know, the record was initially released in the USA as VIP 25037 in 1966. As a result of a hit campaign in 1971 in the UK, Motown rereleased the two songs here in the US as VIP 25065. That is what I have been searching for, the VIP 25065.

I looked at www.seabear.se for a picture of the 25065 but the only picture that he has is a promo copy. A check of www.discogs.com has no picture of 25065 either. www.45cat shows two pictures/images for 25065. One of the images has the titles at the top from left to right and the groups name at the bottom. The other image has the title and groups name across the bottom. That clearly proves there were 2 different versions of 25065.

Does anyone have any ideas on the production statistics of 25065?

Unfortunately, I do not have the Complete Motown Singles 1971 which would show the picture for that release.

It simply baffles me why I cannot locate one of these. Were they reissued and pulled back for some unknown reason? Does anyone else own a copy of 25065?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I have been searching for as long as I can remember trying to locate a clean 45 copy of the Elgins VIP 25065 Heaven Must Have Sent You b/w Stay In My Lonely Arms. But it has eluded me completely despite my searching.

As most Elgins fans know, the record was initially released in the USA as VIP 25037 in 1966. As a result of a hit campaign in 1971 in the UK, Motown rereleased the two songs here in the US as VIP 25065. That is what I have been searching for, the VIP 25065.

I looked at www.seabear.se for a picture of the 25065 but the only picture that he has is a promo copy. A check of www.discogs.com has no picture of 25065 either. www.45cat shows two pictures/images for 25065. One of the images has the titles at the top from left to right and the groups name at the bottom. The other image has the title and groups name across the bottom. That clearly proves there were 2 different versions of 25065.

Unfortunately, I do not have the Complete Motown Singles 1971 which would show the picture for that release.

It simply baffles me why I cannot locate one of these. Were they reissued and pulled back for some unknown reason? Does anyone else own a copy of 25065?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've never seen them. I've never seen an official Motown in-house list with them on it. I've never heard of that record being even slated, let alone having demos or test-pressings pressed up. None of the big Motown collectors had it, that I know of, and so, I'm dead certain it never got to stores. I'd have gotten a DJ copy of it if it ever got out.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  21.1 KB
    That scan on 45Cat certainly proves it was a real Motown DJ issue. And the fact that it was so beat up, shows it got the kind of use that is not given from people inside the company playing it. So, it, at least, probably got to a DJ, or went to a collector after it was found in the demolished Donovan Building, and his kids beat it up. But, the fact that I have never seen it before means it must be very rare, indeed. I own, or have seen, almost all the other pressings of which less than a handful of copies are known to exist today.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

I pulled out my copy of TCMS - 1971[[B) and the single is listed as V.I.P 25065F. The liner notes don't shed any additional light. The single included in this set is listed as the rare stereo promo version, while Volume 6 [[1966) is the mono version.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-15-2021 at 07:07 PM.

hi
    I have a copy - I bought it on ebay a few months ago for [[I think) £10. It's an issue copy [[not demo), with the song title and band name together across the bottom of the label.

I only bought it for the idiosyncratic reason that I wanted a VIP label record sitting resplendent in my 'The Complete Motown Singles' collection along with the other four main labels already represented, so it now sits in Volume 11b instead of 'got to be there'.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    hi
    I have a copy - I bought it on ebay a few months ago for [[I think) £10. It's an issue copy [[not demo), with the song title and band name together across the bottom of the label.

I only bought it for the idiosyncratic reason that I wanted a VIP label record sitting resplendent in my 'The Complete Motown Singles' collection along with the other four main labels already represented, so it now sits in Volume 11b instead of 'got to be there'.
    Ironically all the mono versions contain exactly the same mix as used in the original US release - I've never seen the rare stereo promo version there doesn't seem to be an image for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I've never seen the rare stereo promo version there doesn't seem to be an image for that one.
    The stereo promo single [click on the image to enlarge]:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Elgins-H...elease/4626225

There are currently two copies for sale on discogs.
    Last edited by calvin; 07-16-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Here is both copies of the Elgins 45's "Heaven Must Have Sent You" & "Stay In My Lonely Arms". The 25065 Demo is Stereo & does not have the "Stay etc " on the B Side & it's a £10 record. The 25065 Stk copy is Mono not Stereo, it does not pop up very often but if it does its generally in the UK.

Attachment 19204
    Attachment 19205
    Attachment 19206
    Attachment 19207
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-16-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Here is both copies of the Elgins 45's "Heaven Must Have Sent You" & "Stay In My Lonely Arms". The 25065 Demo is Stereo & does not have the "Stay etc " on the B Side & it's a £10 record. The 25065 Stk copy is Mono not Stereo, it does not pop up very often but if it does its generally in the UK.

Attachment 19204
    Attachment 19205
    Attachment 19206
    Attachment 19207
    Like I said the DM used for every 45 release on this track is exactly the same and that includes the promo version.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Ironically all the mono versions contain exactly the same mix as used in the original US release - I've never seen the rare stereo promo version there doesn't seem to be an image for that one.
    The master number on the Stereo promo is H-X-T2-908S03.

I have both stock and promo ARP pressings of 25065. I've had an opposite experience and found that 25065 turns up far more frequently than 25037, at least in Detroit, but not always in the best condition - just like most records these days.
    Last edited by nsoule; 07-17-2021 at 09:48 AM.