[REMOVE ADS]

Publication of long awaited Invictus / Motown Holland Dozier book by Howard Priestly

Finally, Howard’s in-depth book on Holland Dozier Holland and their Motown and perhaps more interestingly Invictus work….Available to order on Amazon now
    Love Factory: The History of Holland Dozier Holland Paperback

Now this could be a good read. I hope there's information on Brenda Holloway's lost Invictus recordings.

Wow-thanks to MIKEW-UK for the news! Looking forward to reading Love Factory and seeing how it stacks up with the books that The Holland Bros. & Lamont Dozier wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Now this could be a good read. I hope there's information on Brenda Holloway's lost Invictus recordings.
    Oooooh sounds interesting. Do you know much more about this? Are they lost as in ‘currently unreleased’, or lost as in ‘lost in a fire’?!!!

Added this to my wishlist on Amazon. I hope it's a good and accurate read. I've read Lamont's book and enjoyed that. Haven't done the Hollands, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oooooh sounds interesting. Do you know much more about this? Are they lost as in ‘currently unreleased’, or lost as in ‘lost in a fire’?!!!
    I seem to recall that Brenda had recorded for the label around '72 and she had one 45 release on Music Merchant. I believe she may have recorded an albums worth of material that was vaulted and I forget the reason why. I also seem to recall that no one knows where the tapes are today and if they still exist. I would be a good question to ask Brenda and HDH.

My copy has just arrived. First impressions are that it is a very interesting read on everything Holland Dozier Holland. What sets this book apart is that of the 233 pages, about 100 are devoted to Invictus, Hot Wax, Music Merchant and the artists, composers, producers and musicians who created the labels records,
    whether smash hits or those barely known. Having read so many books on Motown and the Detroit music scene, a book which offers a fresh perspective is very welcome. Howard started writing this book back in 1974, so it gains from being a then contemporary study rather than being a "new" retrospective. This book deserves your support Name:  20210718_150230.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  95.4 KB

wow, can't wait to get a copy!Sounds like a GREAT read.

this does look like a good one . thanks for input MIKEW-UK.

Keith Hughes and John Lester of this parish are amongst those thanked for their contributions so the sourcing and research is of a high quality

No mention in the book of any Brenda Hollway Music Merchant recordings other than the 45 release. What did surprise me was just how supportive HDH were of Brenda and how they were of long term material assistance to her. She was definitely highly respected and they strove to help her through the Motown period through to Music Merchant.

The book does mention an unreleased Motown gospel album of Brenda Holloway produced by HDH. Perhaps that's where the rumours of unreased Music Merchant tracks originated

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    The book does mention an unreleased Motown gospel album of Brenda Holloway produced by HDH. Perhaps that's where the rumours of unreased Music Merchant tracks originated
    Ok, this is the very first time I'm hearing this!

Just ordered, really looking forward to it. As much as I loved the Holland Brothers book ad well as the Lamont Dozier book, I am looking forward to reading this.

Howard started this book many decades ago. He drew up a first edition [[which I still have) a bunch of A4 sheets stapled together...like we did in those days. He wanted to take it further but call it The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword. Anyone of a certain age might remember that title. However Love Factory was clearly the way forward. I'm looking forward to getting this book. It's a long time coming [[as MPG once said)

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I seem to recall that Brenda had recorded for the label around '72 and she had one 45 release on Music Merchant. I believe she may have recorded an albums worth of material that was vaulted and I forget the reason why. I also seem to recall that no one knows where the tapes are today and if they still exist. I would be a good question to ask Brenda and HDH.
    Ah I see, thanks SatansB. I hope it resurfaces one day soon!

Nearly 50 years since Howard started writing this book.... As Holland Dozier Holland's composition for Danny Woods says, "It Didn't Take Long"...

My copy has just arrived. First impressions are that it is a very interesting read on everything Holland Dozier Holland. What sets this book apart is that of the 233 pages, about 100 are devoted to Invictus, Hot Wax, Music Merchant and the artists, composers, producers and musicians who created the labels records,
    whether smash hits or those barely known. Having read so many books on Motown and the Detroit music scene, a book which offers a fresh perspective is very welcome. Howard started writing this book back in 1974, so it gains from being a then contemporary study rather than being a "new" retrospective. This book deserves your support Name:  20210718_150230.jpg
    My copy of Love Factory came in the mail today & I'm half-way though it already. Can't wait to read about the rise & fall of the Invictus/Hot Wax era. I will also compare it to the books by The Holland Bros. & Lamont Dozier.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My copy of Love Factory came in the mail today & I'm half-way though it already. Can't wait to read about the rise & fall of the Invictus/Hot Wax era. I will also compare it to the books by The Holland Bros. & Lamont Dozier.
    You're a fast reader!

Thanks, Mike. I just ordered my copy. Can hardly wait!

I read it this weekend, my daughter was a finalist for Miss Maryland, She made it to the second round which had 21 hopefuls, so there was hanging out at the airport, a short flight, etc. in which I was able to read without interuption.

When I read a book like this, I like to devour it as a man who had been deprived of food. Which I did, and Oh My Goodness, it reminded me of the Stuart Cosgrove books of Detroit 1967, Memphis 1968, and
    New York 1969. Very well written, and incredibly. comprehensive, and witty as heck. As I would expect from someone from across the pond.

So when I read it again, I will be armed with a highlighter to look into the Invictus era product that I may not have heard. Also all of those Edith Wayne songs have been updated to have HDH listed as the writers of those songs

As far as the Motown years, seeing where there were folks that crossed paths with HDH there, that got together with them during the Invictus years was interesting to me as well.

The listing of all of the songs in alphabetical order is worth the price of the book to me. In closing, I found it very hard to put down, and there is the bonus of the artwork from the author.

Congrats on your daughter’s success!

Thank you Circa 1824, that is very kind of you. When she sits for the Maryland Bar Exam in February, she can reference that, and having made it to the second round of both The Voice and American Idol the same year as perhaps a first for a Lawyer Candidate. LOL.

I just wanted to say that, It's A Good Feeling by HDH and recorded by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, is in my top 5 Motown songs period! In my mind, I remember that even as an album cut, it was huge in Philly! Also that it was the only known song collaboration of Smokey Robinson and HDH. Talk about your dream team of writers! In this book, the writers are listed as HDH only. I just checked Don't Forget The Motor City, and the writers are listed as HDH, and Robinson. To be fair, I cannot remember if in the 2 recent books by The Holland Brothers and Lamont Dozier how the credit for writing the song was listed. In My Humble Opinion, there were a total of 5 inaccuracies in the book that in no way mar an excellent addition to my Motown Library.

Great track

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Thank you Circa 1824, that is very kind of you. When she sits for the Maryland Bar Exam in February, she can reference that, and having made it to the second round of both The Voice and American Idol the same year as perhaps a first for a Lawyer Candidate. LOL.

I just wanted to say that, It's A Good Feeling by HDH and recorded by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, is in my top 5 Motown songs period! In my mind, I remember that even as an album cut, it was huge in Philly! Also that it was the only known song collaboration of Smokey Robinson and HDH. Talk about your dream team of writers! In this book, the writers are listed as HDH only. I just checked Don't Forget The Motor City, and the writers are listed as HDH, and Robinson. To be fair, I cannot remember if in the 2 recent books by The Holland Brothers and Lamont Dozier how the credit for writing the song was listed. In My Humble Opinion, there were a total of 5 inaccuracies in the book that in no way mar an excellent addition to my Motown Library.
    Motown4ever, HDH also produced The Miracles' "[[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need" 45 [[on album "Away We A Go Go").

Yes, Phillies/Motown Gary, Smokey is my favorite composer this side of Hector Berlioz, however, I think having a little HDH in his life benefited the group by having a different approach. Kind of like Mickeys Monkey, and I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying did previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Yes, Phillies/Motown Gary, Smokey is my favorite composer this side of Hector Berlioz, however, I think having a little HDH in his life benefited the group by having a different approach. Kind of like Mickeys Monkey, and I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying did previously.
    You're right, Motown4ever -- "Mickey's Monkey" and "I've Gotta Dance...." were indeed HDH productions, too. I had forgotten to include those. BTW, you say you're a Berlioz fan? Me, too! I love his "Requiem". The version of his masterpiece on Telarc by Robert Shaw & The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus is among my favorites in my extensive Choral CD collection. It clearly earned every point of its perfect PERFORMANCE - 10; SOUND QUALITY - 10 rating!

Phillies/Motown Gary, I found that version on ITunes and uploaded and played for my Uber customers this morning. The response was mostly positive. Thank you for suggesting.

I had read that both the Holland Brothers and Lamont Dozier listened to classical music growing up, and that there was a period that they were influenced by the classics as well. However the author did not expand on that part of any influences by the trio. For me the obvious choice would be, Remove This Doubt by The Supremes. Of course there is I Hear A Symphony as well as My World Is Empty Without You.

You're welcome, Motown4Ever. Glad to hear that your Uber customers enjoyed it! I agree, "I Hear A Symphony" and "Remove This Doubt" are indeed classical-sounding/symphony-ish. I would also add "Forever Came Today" to that classical-sounding list.

You know, HDH produced an actual classical-choral work on The Supremes. From the "I Hear A Symphony" album, they performed Russian composer Alexander Borodin's [[1833-1887) "Polovitsan Dances" from his "Prince Igor" opera. The "Polovitsan Dances" was later retitled "Stranger In Paradise" and adapted to the pop-music market when recorded by Tony Bennett in 1953.

Here is the original "Polovitsan Dances" from "Prince Igor" performed by Robert Shaw with The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus [[Telarc):
    https://youtu.be/uW_tS4XvH5U

The Supremes "Stranger In Paradise"
    https://youtu.be/oY5_QXBD878

And, also, Motown4Ever, can't forget that "A Lovers Concerto", also from the "I Hear A Symphony" album, is taken from Bach's "Minuet In G Major". HDH truly were in a Classical mind-set.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-02-2021 at 04:41 AM.

I am in the process of reading the copy I recently purchased. I agree wholeheartedly with MIKEW-UK with his comment above. The Motown Years section was noteworthy.
    He constantly includes and refers to Golden World - Ric Tic and associated labels and
    records and artists and the movements between GW and Motown. It is a lot to absorb
    so the slower you read the more you will understand.

It is obvious he did a lot of work to get this book into publication. He deserves credit and a round of appreciation from me. I hope everyone buys it. It is a good investment.

My copy of the "Love Factory" book arrived a few days ago. I started reading in the middle of the book covering HDH's Invictus/Hot Wax years. As expected, it's a very interesting read. I'm now in the third section covering HDH's return to Motown. When finished, I'll back-track to the original Motown years.
    This book deserves to be read by each and every Motown fan. Once you start reading, it's hard to set it down.

I communicated with a musician from the Motown through Invictus and they did not know of the books existence. I have not read it for a second time yet, as a previous poster stated, there is a lot to digest.

Thanks for the comments, woodward and Philles/Motown Gary. I started the Motown chapter and put it down after reading one page. I just wasn't in the mood to read what I might have already learned from the books by Lamont Dozier and the Holland brothers. But it sounds like I might get some interesting info about Ric Tic and Golden World. If I get bored with the Motown chapter I will take Motown Gary's approach and jump ahead to the Invictus years, which is the reason I bought the book.

Howard Priestley’s book appears tobe a fat wedge of detailed info but from early on a couple ofclangers struck me: page 23 describes the Marvelettes of Please MrPostman as a threesome and page 30 misnames “Come On Home” as“Nothing But A Man”.
    Thetext groans with grammatical errors and sections of text are repeatedconfusingly making it a tough read. The book would benefit from agood editor and proof reader. It smacks somewhat of a vanity print.
    However,the writer’s passion and love of the music shines through. Pottedmini biographies of every named person can read like a school essaybut the detail is astonishing. Every so often an original wittycomment punches home and makes me smile. Unashamedly from a UK perspectiveit brings a refreshingly rounded, detached approach. Theillustrations are inevitably a matter of personal taste. A book thatwill stay on my bookshelf but not the easiest to read. In any casethank you Howard.

"Come On Home" features in the Motown soundtrack album to the film Nothing But A Man. I'm sure I've seen the error made about the track's title before.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Howard Priestley’s book appears tobe a fat wedge of detailed info but from early on a couple ofclangers struck me: page 23 describes the Marvelettes of Please MrPostman as a threesome and page 30 misnames “Come On Home” as“Nothing But A Man”.
    Thetext groans with grammatical errors and sections of text are repeatedconfusingly making it a tough read. The book would benefit from agood editor and proof reader. It smacks somewhat of a vanity print.
    However,the writer’s passion and love of the music shines through. Pottedmini biographies of every named person can read like a school essaybut the detail is astonishing. Every so often an original wittycomment punches home and makes me smile. Unashamedly from a UK perspectiveit brings a refreshingly rounded, detached approach. Theillustrations are inevitably a matter of personal taste. A book thatwill stay on my bookshelf but not the easiest to read. In any casethank you Howard.
    I too found the book detailed but difficult to read....it really needed an editor. Sometimes items were just dropped into a sentence for no apparent reason....Dionne Warwick being in a bar and liking the particular singer. I became confused with all the comings and goings of Chairmen of the Board and Parliament...some of the groups he had extensive knowledge about and others was superficial....unfortunately for me the ones I was interested in had a superficial treatment. I did like the listing of the songs.
    The other aspect that corroborated things I'd heard, was how badly Eddie had handled his money.