[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and Bob Guardio

My favorite cuts on LTISH [[along with "Sleepin" and "Behind Closed Doors") are the Bob Guardio cuts. I wish Motown had let him take charge of the entire thing. "Last Time" could've been a single only release, it didn't need an album. Scrap the other cuts [[except "Sleepin'"). The album didn't possess any of the charm that Diana's previous albums did.

"I Heard A Love Song" is one of my fav Diana cuts. I love forceful Diana and she comes out the gate on 10 on this one. She sounds great on the other two cuts as well. It was time to move out of the jazzy stuff and easy listening, as great as it was, and I think songs with a bit more bite to them was necessary for continued success. Sure, she rebounded with the Masser "Theme From Mahogany", but I question how successful that song would've even been had it not been the theme to the movie. Much of the rest of LTISH was easy listening that I personally don't believe did the album any favors.

Guardio has a healthy discography of productions under his belt. A Guardio produced album in 1974 could've been classic.

Anyway, anyone else fans of these tunes?

The Bob Gaudio cuts were amongst the better cuts on the album.

Althought LTISH, the single, was the number 1 adult contemporary song of the year in Billboard.

It isn't Gaurdio, it is Gaudio and he is the guy that was affiliated with the Four Seasons.

The Gaudio cuts are my favorite along with Love Me, Sleepin’, You and LTISH. For me, this is my favorite of what I would call the three thrown together without a plan albums. The other 2 being Everything is Everything and Ross 78. I would have just removed Turn Around and Behind Closed Doors and replaced them with any of the tracks on disc 2 of the expanded edition except Old Funky Rolls, Since I Don’t Have You and Where Did We Go Wrong-Version 1. The version on Ross 78 is the superior one.

Oh, by the way, I am not trashing EIE, I really enjoy that one as well. I love the bonus track of What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life. A lovely reading of the song.

As for Ross 78, if it was intended as a dance-ish album then the four tracks on the Diana expanded edition should have been included. To Love Again, Sorry Doesn’t Always Make it Right, Together and the remix of Reach Out made no sense. I would have included the original version of Lovin’ Livin’ and Givin’ and Fire Don’t Burn, We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again, You Build Me Up to Tear Me Down and Sweet Summertime Livin’. They were recorded at that time and while not outstanding, still better than those older tracks being used. Reach Out is probably one of my favorite Diana songs ever but should not have been used again on Ross 78. You Build Me Up is also one of my favorite unreleased performances. Love the track and the vocal. Each side of Ross 78 could have been closed out with one of the two ballads or have them both at the end of side 2.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 07-13-2021 at 01:15 PM.

There is always varying opinion as to how the LTISH album could and should have been improved. I personally find the Gaudio tracks quite boring and would have left them off.
    “Love Me” is a beautiful ballad and “LTISH” a fun song. “Sleepin” is heartbreaking and “Behind Closed Doors” contains a nice warm vocal from Diana.
    Although it sounds dated today, “Fool Forever” should have been a single, at least in the UK.
    ”Part Of You”, “To The Baby” And ‘Kewpie Doll” should have replaced “You” and a couple of the Gaudio songs.
    All imo of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    My favorite cuts on LTISH [[along with "Sleepin" and "Behind Closed Doors") are the Bob Guardio cuts. I wish Motown had let him take charge of the entire thing. "Last Time" could've been a single only release, it didn't need an album. Scrap the other cuts [[except "Sleepin'"). The album didn't possess any of the charm that Diana's previous albums did.

"I Heard A Love Song" is one of my fav Diana cuts. I love forceful Diana and she comes out the gate on 10 on this one. She sounds great on the other two cuts as well. It was time to move out of the jazzy stuff and easy listening, as great as it was, and I think songs with a bit more bite to them was necessary for continued success. Sure, she rebounded with the Masser "Theme From Mahogany", but I question how successful that song would've even been had it not been the theme to the movie. Much of the rest of LTISH was easy listening that I personally don't believe did the album any favors.

Guardio has a healthy discography of productions under his belt. A Guardio produced album in 1974 could've been classic.

i agree with you that these songs are strong. but a totally different sound. i think there's something here to work with and could have been an interesting concept

after the gorgeous TMITM album, i think the best follow up would have been the duet album by itself. then after a couple singles from it, release LTISH as a single and then an accompanying album produced by Masser and including his and some of Ron Miller's tunes. you could have a very solid album.

then the Bob Gaudio stuff would make a great follow up. something new and fresh. maybe do this in early 75 or so. something to fill in while Mahogany was filming.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The Bob Gaudio cuts were amongst the better cuts on the album.

Althought LTISH, the single, was the number 1 adult contemporary song of the year in Billboard.

It isn't Gaurdio, it is Gaudio and he is the guy that was affiliated with the Four Seasons.
    I don't know why I always add that R in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    The Gaudio cuts are my favorite along with Love Me, Sleepin’, You and LTISH. For me, this is my favorite of what I would call the three thrown together without a plan albums. The other 2 being Everything is Everything and Ross 78. I would have just removed Turn Around and Behind Closed Doors and replaced them with any of the tracks on disc 2 of the expanded edition except Old Funky Rolls, Since I Don’t Have You and Where Did We Go Wrong-Version 1. The version on Ross 78 is the superior one.

Oh, by the way, I am not trashing EIE, I really enjoy that one as well. I love the bonus track of What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life. A lovely reading of the song.

As for Ross 78, if it was intended as a dance-ish album then the four tracks on the Diana expanded edition should have been included. To Love Again, Sorry Doesn’t Always Make it Right, Together and the remix of Reach Out made no sense. I would have included the original version of Lovin’ Livin’ and Givin’ and Fire Don’t Burn, We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again, You Build Me Up to Tear Me Down and Sweet Summertime Livin’. They were recorded at that time and while not outstanding, still better than those older tracks being used. Reach Out is probably one of my favorite Diana songs ever but should not have been used again on Ross 78. You Build Me Up is also one of my favorite unreleased performances. Love the track and the vocal. Each side of Ross 78 could have been closed out with one of the two ballads or have them both at the end of side 2.
    Of the, as you put it, thrown together albums, I prefer EIE. Had the album not fell in that space in time where Motown apparently didn't give a crap about Diana's release schedule, it probably would've done better. I play this album often.

LTISH is just too boring, despite the presence of some good to great stuff. Matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say there isn't a bad song on the album. It just isn't a good mix. [[I was disappointed in "You". I would've liked for Diana to have matched the soulfulness of the track. Instead she just sounds bored to death.)

Ross78 was destined to be a dance album. When the decision was made by someone apparently shooting up heroin to change the theme from "dance" to "what the fuck is this", the album was then destined to die a quick death. No doubt in my mind if the album had been completed as a Diana Ross dance album, after the way she killed it with "Love Hangover" and then in 1978 the world was firmly in the grip of disco, it would've been a killer album. A classic. A classic we'll never know until the expanded edition when either George and Andy and Co., mock up a track list, or we're able to create our own versions. Of course we're able to do it now with what we know exists, but any of those playlists could change when we get the stuff yet unreleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There is always varying opinion as to how the LTISH album could and should have been improved. I personally find the Gaudio tracks quite boring and would have left them off.
    “Love Me” is a beautiful ballad and “LTISH” a fun song. “Sleepin” is heartbreaking and “Behind Closed Doors” contains a nice warm vocal from Diana.
    Although it sounds dated today, “Fool Forever” should have been a single, at least in the UK.
    ”Part Of You”, “To The Baby” And ‘Kewpie Doll” should have replaced “You” and a couple of the Gaudio songs.
    All imo of course.
    The baby stuff should've stayed vaulted IMO. [[Meaning at the time. I'm glad we have them today.) It's bad enough "Turn Around" made LTISH. "Kewpie Doll" on LTISH? Maybe, but then the album would've still sounded like a hodgepodge of songs.

i think the Baby album could have worked. it's beautifully produced and performed. and the personal story element makes it so relatable and human. especially since Diana already had a strong "diva" reputation.

I really enjoy the LTISH expanded cd..an under appreciated album in Ross's cannon

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think the Baby album could have worked. it's beautifully produced and performed. and the personal story element makes it so relatable and human. especially since Diana already had a strong "diva" reputation.
    I agree. Beautiful performances from Diana on those songs. It would also have sounded cohesive and made for a classy follow up to TMITM.
    As a kind of parallel, Streisand also had an album that was shelved. It’s theme charting birth to the grave. Like the intended ‘To The Baby’ album it also contained some of the best vocal performances of her career.

I agree. Beautiful performances from Diana on those songs. It would also have sounded cohesive and made for a classy follow up to TMITM.
    As a kind of parallel, Streisand also had an album that was shelved. It’s theme charting birth to the grave. Like the intended ‘To The Baby’ album it also contained some of the best vocal performances of her career.
    It would've definitely have been a critically acclaimed album. Probably would've gone down as a classic album. But To the Baby would've done nothing to advance Diana's career. Maybe, just maybe, she could've gotten some airplay out of "To The Baby" as a single. Her version of "Brown Baby" might also have made some noise. But there was nothing obviously commercial about any of the songs to make hits out of. And as far as the album as a completed work, the market for such a thing would've been too niche to bother with. Diana die hards from all walks of life would've bought the album because the truth is that they would buy anything. A certain number of women would've purchased the album if they were in the same place Diana was in, as a new mother or expectant mother. But the general public- the ones who bought "Mountain" and "Touch Me In the Morning"- would not have bothered with a whole album of songs about motherhood. Might as well keep with LTISH if the follow up to TMITM was going to be a financial flop.

That being said, the baby album has some great stuff on it and Diana is in fine form. The productions are breathtaking in some instances IMO. But I think if Diana wanted to do something that spoke to this early motherhood chapter of her life and at the same time be something commercially viable, she should've cut a Christmas album. It would've been perfect for the upcoming holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I really enjoy the LTISH expanded cd..an under appreciated album in Ross's cannon
    I as well. I play it more now than back then!

I love your read on this LP. It was hodge podge of the highest order, but the tracks are good, it’s the package that stinks. I love everything is everything and that is hodgepodge, even the black album and touch me in the morning are, but this was a hot hot mess.

first, it came out at a supremely odd time: a smash album, and a duet album climbing the charts, it just wasn’t needed. It only came out at all because of Gordy’s anal retentive insistence that hits get followed up by the same producer. With touch me in the morning off the chart in mid October and you’re a special part of me going limp in the middle of November, it’s crazy that there was no follow-up to touch me in the morning from the album, and crazier that it took until December 6 to get released. The coattails had evaporated completely, and if ever a record needed coattails it was this one. I don’t have a problem with the song, but it was really pushing it to release it as a single at that time. It was so weak, that it took an entire month to chart. Eventually did well enough, radio did not jump on it initially.

I agree with you on the Bob Gaudio cuts, and I wish he had done the entire album. He got great vocals out of her, and I think Lovesong and stone liberty, with a little help, could’ve been hit records. I adore when will I come home to you, but I don’t think it was radio friendly back in the day. It was a recommended single cut in the billboard review, but I was certain it would not go out as a single. I was sure it would be one of the other Bob Gaudio cuts, I couldn’t believe it when sleeping was released. It’s a great record but it’s not a single. Can you imagine listening to the radio going from Benny and the Jets to Sleepin’? And I can hear Stone liberty, or I heard a love song following Benny and the Jets easily.

when the album came out, it was such a huge disappointment. I didn’t know one person wasn’t saddened by it. To make matters worse, it was pressed on this new really thin flexible vinyl that didn’t really sound very good. And I loved the picture on the cover, but her shoes were too matronly - I wanted her to be cool.

the physical package felt so cheap. yes the vinyl felt thin, the jacket itself felt flimsy. and the totally lazy approach to the back cover graphics were such a letdown.

one of the most glamorous and sensational women in the world and you just re-use the photo from the front?

you just re-use the photo from the front?
    This grinds my gears to no end when any artist does this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    This grinds my gears to no end when any artist does this!!!
    Wasn't she pregnant at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Wasn't she pregnant at the time?
    no Tracee was Oct 72 and Chudney was Nov 75. This was fall 73. I guess not as bad as Greatest Hits vol 3, but, I’d have been ok with the art if the album worked.

I just can't stand Last Time I Saw home, the only tracks I like are the Bob gaudio.
    The rest was throw away.tje best songs were left in the vault.
    Ross 78 had a original plan. Producers HDH were to produce one side and side two love songs but, as usual the boys and BG had a falling out and walked out.
    Ross was livid.the beginning of the end

It would've definitely have been a critically acclaimed album. Probably would've gone down as a classic album. But To the Baby would've done nothing to advance Diana's career. Maybe, just maybe, she could've gotten some airplay out of "To The Baby" as a single. Her version of "Brown Baby" might also have made some noise. But there was nothing obviously commercial about any of the songs to make hits out of. And as far as the album as a completed work, the market for such a thing would've been too niche to bother with. Diana die hards from all walks of life would've bought the album because the truth is that they would buy anything. A certain number of women would've purchased the album if they were in the same place Diana was in, as a new mother or expectant mother. But the general public- the ones who bought "Mountain" and "Touch Me In the Morning"- would not have bothered with a whole album of songs about motherhood. Might as well keep with LTISH if the follow up to TMITM was going to be a financial flop.

That being said, the baby album has some great stuff on it and Diana is in fine form. The productions are breathtaking in some instances IMO. But I think if Diana wanted to do something that spoke to this early motherhood chapter of her life and at the same time be something commercially viable, she should've cut a Christmas album. It would've been perfect for the upcoming holiday season.
    After TMITM, i don’t think there were enough “To The Baby” tracks left over to complete a full album. I was thinking more about using whatever baby tracks were left, mixed with some of the songs used for LTISH. I think “Part Of You” stood a much better chance of becoming a pop hit in 73/4 then say the rather leaden “Stone Liberty”.

After TMITM, i don’t think there were enough “To The Baby” tracks left over to complete a full album. I was thinking more about using whatever baby tracks were left, mixed with some of the songs used for LTISH. I think “Part Of You” stood a much better chance of becoming a pop hit in 73/4 then say the rather leaden “Stone Liberty”.
    you're right. if we play "producer" and decide to keep TTB, then we would need to alter TMITM. it gets really crazy if you also go back and release Blue. then there's a real struggle to find enough tracks for the TMITM set

I did an alt version of the lp with

Touch me in the mroning
    All of my life
    we need you
    leave a little room
    wish i knew [[from the EIE sessions)
    I won't last a day
    little girl blue
    imagine
    kewpie doll
    Smile

S
    you're right. if we play "producer" and decide to keep TTB, then we would need to alter TMITM. it gets really crazy if you also go back and release Blue. then there's a real struggle to find enough tracks for the TMITM set

Touch me in the mroning
    All of my life
    we need you
    leave a little room
    I won't last a day
    little girl blue
    imagine
    kewpie doll
    Smile
    Which would still make for a very decent album. I would include “Love Me” instead of “Wish I Knew” as it has a kind of dreamy quality to it that matches the flow of the other songs.
    What would be your track listing for the To The Baby album?.

To The Baby would include:

Part of you
    a wonderful guest
    young mothers
    first time
    got to be there
    when we grow up
    to the baby
    my baby, my own
    turn around
    brown baby/save the children medley

Touch me in the mroning
    All of my life
    we need you
    leave a little room
    I won't last a day
    little girl blue
    imagine
    kewpie doll
    Smile
    great list! I’d drop kewpie doll as I can’t get into the song, but love her vocal. I’d add love me or What are you doing the rest of your life? But I have to admit I think it’s perfect the way it was released it’s impossible for me to think of that album without brown baby and save the children.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    great list! I’d drop kewpie doll as I can’t get into the song, but love her vocal. I’d add love me or What are you doing the rest of your life? But I have to admit I think it’s perfect the way it was released it’s impossible for me to think of that album without brown baby and save the children.
    I agree about TMITM. The only real point of contention being we could have ended with two classic Diana Ross albums instead of a classic and one decidedly less so.
    “Last” Time I Saw Him” should have been an alone single.