[REMOVE ADS]

The Shirelles 'No Sugar Tonight'

I've always found this 1971 selection from the Shirelles lp Happy And In Love to be such an odd choice. Not one of the Guess Who's biggest hits, so there would not be any title recognition, and more rock than soul. Howevs, I LOVE the Shirelles version of the song and actually prefer it to the GW's. Anyone know anything?

Didn't know that The Shirelles did a cover of "No Sugar Tonight". Sounds good though.

I have this LP with Shirleys' autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I have this LP with Shirleys' autograph.
    Wow! How did that happen?

[QUOTE=PeaceNHarmony;644376]I've always found this 1971 selection from the Shirelles lp Happy And In Love to be such an odd choice. Not one of the Guess Who's biggest hits, so there would not be any title recognition, and more rock than soul. Howevs, I LOVE the Shirelles version of the song and actually prefer it to the GW's. Anyone know anything?

Nice surprise, sounds good - thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've always found this 1971 selection from the Shirelles lp Happy And In Love to be such an odd choice. Not one of the Guess Who's biggest hits, so there would not be any title recognition, and more rock than soul. Howevs, I LOVE the Shirelles version of the song and actually prefer it to the GW's. Anyone know anything?
    I've never listened to the two LP's that The Shirelles did for for RCA in 1971 & 1972. After looking up their track listings, I see that they were trying to re-establish the group with a mix of then contemporary Soul & Rock tunes [they have songs by Carole King, Al Green, Marvin Gaye & others on the albums]. Also, "No Sugar Tonight" was released as a single in 1971 along with Happy And In Love. Anyway, thanks PNH for posting the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I've never listened to the two LP's that The Shirelles did for for RCA in 1971 & 1972. After looking up their track listings, I see that they were trying to re-establish the group with a mix of then contemporary Soul & Rock tunes [they have songs by Carole King, Al Green, Marvin Gaye & others on the albums]. Also, "No Sugar Tonight" was released as a single in 1971 along with Happy And In Love. Anyway, thanks PNH for posting the song.
    The Shirelles recorded two albums for RCA [during the dynaflex era), Happy and In Love [1971) and The Shirelles [1972) both produced by Randy Irwin [Alston’s long time manager).

Real Gone released both albums on one CD produced by David Nathan. When I bought it I had not heard anything from either album. I was curious how the ladies had fared after their hit years. I found both albums enjoyable and well produced. The ladies are in great voice.

I prefer the second album to the first but No Sugar Tonight is my favorite cut of the CD. The CD has extensive notes. The disc also includes two non-album singles including a version of Eres tú [1973).

Wade Marcus arranged and conducted five of the songs on The Shirelles. The other five were arranged and conducted by David Van De Pitte, including a medley of Mercy Mercy Me/Inner City Blues/What’s Going On.

Though time was passing them by, the ladies were still making quality recordings.