[REMOVE ADS]

Jean Years Album Options

The Supremes released three duet albums with the Tops. I'm going to guess that it's safe to say that among most of us fans- regardless of whether or not you like all three albums, or only two albums, or only one album, or none of them at all- the opinion is that the Supremes could've gotten by with only one of those duet albums.

So my question is: since there's room in the discography for two extra albums if we remove two of the duet albums, what would you like for the girls to have recorded in it's place? I'm thinking of something that might stretch their wings creatively speaking, as opposed to another Frank Wilson album or one produced for the sole purpose of housing a hit single.

The one thing that comes to my mind is a Christmas album. My fingers are crossed for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there's at least one or two Christmas cuts in the vault for Jean and the Supremes. What a travesty if that beautiful voice never floated over holiday sounds. There's always this talk about having product out in time for the holiday sales, so it would've made sense to me to have the ladies present a holiday album instead of a duet one.

Any other ideas?

Truth be told I would have loved another duet album with the Temptations or a live album. Or have Ashford and Simpson do an album with the girls. And a Norm Whitfield album if possible.

A live album would have been a great idea. The Japan one is cool, but something Stateside from around 71 would've been even better.

A&S had this great ability to take a song and give it a complete re-do, i.e. "Aint No Mountain High Enough". How about if they produced an album on the ladies where they covered songs from the past, like Laura Nyro's album with Labelle? Maybe have Jean doing a Chantels tune, Mary "Will You Love Me Tomorrow", maybe even give Cindy something like "Don't Say Nothing Bad About My Baby" where she doesn't have to do much as far as her lead but the three of them kill it with the harmonies.

I think a Christmas album in '71 would have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The Supremes released three duet albums with the Tops. I'm going to guess that it's safe to say that among most of us fans- regardless of whether or not you like all three albums, or only two albums, or only one album, or none of them at all- the opinion is that the Supremes could've gotten by with only one of those duet albums.

So my question is: since there's room in the discography for two extra albums if we remove two of the duet albums, what would you like for the girls to have recorded in it's place? I'm thinking of something that might stretch their wings creatively speaking, as opposed to another Frank Wilson album or one produced for the sole purpose of housing a hit single.

The one thing that comes to my mind is a Christmas album. My fingers are crossed for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there's at least one or two Christmas cuts in the vault for Jean and the Supremes. What a travesty if that beautiful voice never floated over holiday sounds. There's always this talk about having product out in time for the holiday sales, so it would've made sense to me to have the ladies present a holiday album instead of a duet one.

Any other ideas?
    As firm as Jean was in her religion, would she have even been game to record a Christmas album? She doesn't celebrate the holiday; I can't imagine her giving 100% to something she doesn't believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    As firm as Jean was in her religion, would she have even been game to record a Christmas album? She doesn't celebrate the holiday; I can't imagine her giving 100% to something she doesn't believe in.
    Not really applicable. According to Mary, Jean and Lynda converted to JWs in 72/73. This would not have interfered with Jean's beliefs in 70-72.

Not really applicable. According to Mary, Jean and Lynda converted to JWs in 72/73. This would not have interfered with Jean's beliefs in 70-72.
    Wait, didn't Jean sing lead on Cheap Lovin' on the Jimmy Webb album?..

He was talking about Jehovah's Witnesses not Jimmy Webb lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Wait, didn't Jean sing lead on Cheap Lovin' on the Jimmy Webb album?..

A live album would have been a great idea. The Japan one is cool, but something Stateside from around 71 would've been even better.

A&S had this great ability to take a song and give it a complete re-do, i.e. "Aint No Mountain High Enough". How about if they produced an album on the ladies where they covered songs from the past, like Laura Nyro's album with Labelle? Maybe have Jean doing a Chantels tune, Mary "Will You Love Me Tomorrow", maybe even give Cindy something like "Don't Say Nothing Bad About My Baby" where she doesn't have to do much as far as her lead but the three of them kill it with the harmonies.
    I think this is a great idea. Especially "Don't say nothing..."....there's a wealth of great girl group songs that could have been mined and treated with respect.
    A & S could reinterpret their own work....I don't know if they did other's work.
    Aretha had a great ability to reinterpret classic songs....that kind of idea would have been great.

if the duet albums were removed, you really don't exactly have lots of gaps without an lp except fall/holiday of 71.

RO was released in spring 70
    NW fall 70
    Touch late spring 71
    FJ was early winter 72

I agree with people's recommendations for a live album. The Central Park show could have been one. That certainly was a high profile event, very well received. the concert wasn't too heavy with MOR junk. and they could have easily dropped in another 70s live recording to pad it too

Feeling Good/Loving Country/Together we can make
    We've only just begun
    60s hits medley
    Love story
    River Deep
    Love the one you're with
    Can't take my eyes/quiet nights
    Everybody's got the right
    Nathan jones
    people
    Stoned Love
    Revival/O Happy Day

if there was a tune or two they didn't/couldn't include for copy write, again, they could have snagged Ladder or something from another performance. or just cut the song. the run time for this concert is 57 mins which is too long for an lp.

If we're looking for another album, i wonder if maybe a concept album where the girls perform songs from Jesus Christ Superstar would have been received well. yes it's Broadway and all but it was a HUGE social phenomenon at the time. a major hit

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I think this is a great idea. Especially "Don't say nothing..."....there's a wealth of great girl group songs that could have been mined and treated with respect.
    A & S could reinterpret their own work....I don't know if they did other's work.
    Aretha had a great ability to reinterpret classic songs....that kind of idea would have been great.
    They did a great job with HDH's "Reach Out I'll Be There".