[REMOVE ADS]

For Joni Mitchell Fans

Joni Mitchell - The Reprise Albums [1968-1971) Box Set [4CD)

Song to a Seagull” [New Mix – Overseen by Joni)
    Clouds” [Remastered)
    Ladies of the Canyon” [Remastered)
    Blue” [Remastered)

Remastering by Bernie Grundman

Part of a major reissue project of Mitchell’s career, including a multi volume chronological study of all her work called the “Joni Mitchell Archives”. This box set is of her first four albums which were on the Reprise label, after which she joined Asylum Records. There are no bonus tracks; those will be found in the archive series.

I was in the 12th grade when I discovered Joni with her second album “Clouds” which a friend of mine owned. But it was her third album, a year later, “Ladies of the Canyon” that made me a fan. To this day I consider “Ladies” a perfect album, it’s heartfelt and every track is a winner. One of my all-time most favorite albums and I have long waited for a remastered version. And I definitely was not disappointed with this remaster. Bernie Grundman did a fantastic job; the sound is excellent, full and clear. It’s the same album I’ve always love but it sounds even better somehow.

The physical construction of the box is also excellent. The slip case is sturdy cardboard. Each CD is housed in a gatefold [with lyrics) version of the original album. Again very sturdy and well made. The attention to detail is very impressive, such as the inner sleeve for “Blue” being blue, like the album. The first two CD covers are printed on slick paper like the original albums, while the second two CD covers are printed on matte paper like the original albums. That’s attention to detail.

Got it for $29.28 at Import CDs [they generally have the best price) vs. Amazon currently at $43.99.

Not to be confused with “Joni Mitchell Archives - Vol. 2: The Reprise Years [1968-1971) [5CD) scheduled for release later this year.
    Attachment 19197

I’m gonna hold out for the bonus tracks on the later release, but these look like lovingly done remasters. Thanks for posting.

Great to hear that the set has been so well done. I was worried it was more of a cash-grab repackaging. Definitely worth looking in to.

I'm going to have think about this. I never got around to replacing my Joni Mitchell stuff
    all of which was on cassette tape except Court and Spark. I actually have more Joni tributes on CD than I do Joni herself...

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I’m gonna hold out for the bonus tracks on the later release, but these look like lovingly done remasters. Thanks for posting.
    You're welcome sans, indeed lovingly done.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Great to hear that the set has been so well done. I was worried it was more of a cash-grab repackaging. Definitely worth looking in to.
    Definitely not cash-grab repackaging, from top to bottom an exceptional release.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I'm going to have think about this. I never got around to replacing my Joni Mitchell stuff
    all of which was on cassette tape except Court and Spark. I actually have more Joni tributes on CD than I do Joni herself...
    Joni has had a long and successful career but the Reprise period is my favorite. So this set is perfect for me.

I haven't heard any of the Joni tribute project. Do you have a favorite?

Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters kind of beats most for me but a few years back
    I heard Tutu Pouane's Joni Mitchell Project and was sold...Her cover of Both Sides Now
    floored me...

https://www.amazon.com/Joni-Mitchell.../dp/B0743Y8KMM

Corrine Bailey Rae on Herbie's treatment of River is endearing too....

They are both on youtube so you can check them out for yourself. They may not be to your taste. Me being a jazz fan and a listener of a great deal of so-called "world music"
    [[Tutu's African) I'm often looking outside of top 40 boxes...
    Last edited by splanky; 07-11-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters kind of beats most for me but a few years back
    I heard Tutu Pouane's Joni Mitchell Project and was sold...Her cover of Both Sides Now
    floored me...

https://www.amazon.com/Joni-Mitchell.../dp/B0743Y8KMM

Corrine Bailey Rae on Herbie's treatment of River is endearing too....

They are both on youtube so you can check them out for yourself. They may not be to your taste. Me being a jazz fan and a listener of a great deal of so-called "world music"
    [[Tutu's African) I'm often looking outside of top 40 boxes...
    Thanks splanky, I'll check them out.

I had not heard about these 'later releases' - what's the deal?

Quoting sophisticated_soul: There are no bonus tracks; those will be found in the archive series.

Vol. 2 of the Joni Mitchell Archives covers, chronologically, her recordings during the years she with Reprise records [released and unreleased). Track listing:

https://jonimitchell.com/music/album.cfm?id=42

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Vol. 2 of the Joni Mitchell Archives covers, chronologically, her recordings during the years she with Reprise records [released and unreleased). Track listing:

https://jonimitchell.com/music/album.cfm?id=42
    THIS!!!! Just the tonic since I have all the studio and live albums already. Thanks!

THIS!!!! Just the tonic since I have all the studio and live albums already. Thanks!
    You're welcome. It is an impressive project to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    You're welcome. It is an impressive project to say the least.
    Between this and the upcoming Aretha box, it's gonna be a banner year!