[REMOVE ADS]

Any Supremes Anti Gay 👯[♂️

over the years I heard maybe one supreme was anti gay due to her religion I would Immediately ban her no room for hate , Look what happened to Donna Summer

I've heard Jean but can't confirm or deny. Who the hell does Jean was following them in the 70's? Does she know her fan base? Lol.

I also heard she was anti gay not a good move in her part it was Mostly gay people who worshiped then and bought those records in the millions Diana Ross’s most loyal fans are gay

Rumor has it JT. BUT ... that's based completely on 3rd+ party info and heresay. I've never heard anything about any other Supreme being anti-LGBTQ+. Along with Diana I've heard anecdotally that Mary was quite enthusiastic and accepting with her LGBTQ+ fans. However ... coming from a less-than-accepting generation, I have a suspicion about anyone who identifies theirself first as 'Christian'. AGAIN ... from personal experience, that's coded language.

According to Mary Wilson‘s second book, Jean Terrell and Linda both studied Jehovah’s Witness theology and although I’m no expert at it, I believe the Witnesses would be against homosexuality in any form. There’s a lot of fine people who are Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I’ve known many of them, and they’ve done more for the first amendment than almost any other religion, but I believe their doctrine would be ultra conservative regarding sexuality.

I don't know Jean personally, but have read third account stories. I am not sure. I know a number of Jehovah Witness and they have very strong beliefs. Jean was also said to be a bit shy and stand offish with fans, not sure if her religion and the sexuality of some fans have anything to do with that. The Supremes fanbase brought together many groups of people-men, women, different races,different sexuality,different social and economic levels. The group represented glamour and possibility which appealed to a wide variety of people regardless of their personal reasons for their appeal, plus they were all so amazingly talented. If any of them had a personal reason to not care for a certain faction of their fans, I would find that very sad.

I haven't seen evidence of any Supremes member being homophobic, not even Jean [[I didn't know Lynda was a JW too!). Diana and Mary were quick to embrace their gay audience though.

Sometimes it is best not to probe too deeply. The ladies are entitled to their own private views on all subjects. It should only become a problem if one of the ladies publicly criticises the gay lifestyle.
    I have met 3 of the Supremes from the official hitmaking years and none of them ever uttered anything untoward regarding the gay lifestyle.
    I have never read anything about any member [[Jean included) where they criticised their gay audience in any way, and unless anyone else can say anything differently i think we should just concentrate on the music rather than posting idle speculation that cannot be backed up with any creditable information.

Ugh. Here we go again. Jean Terrell didn't hate anybody--she was not familiar with gay people back then and was taken aback when suddenly she had thousands of gay fans. People didn't even talk about gay people back then--it was a taboo subject.Everybody has to start somewhere. I'm sure JT doesn't give a flying F about whether someone is or isn't gay these days. And even if she is still uncomfortable around gay people, that is her prerogative--it doesn't mean she hates anybody. Judging people who lived in the 60's and 70's by today's standards is ridiculous. Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Sarah Dash and Patti Labelle were all very vocal about supporting their gay audiences back when it was not safe to do so. It was brave of them and is part of the reason I love them.

You cannot really base what you think about a persons views just by the religion they follow and practise. Im a strong Catholic but I disagree with the church on a lot of issues. Im pro choice but do not favor the death penalty, and Im very pro LGBTQ and I believe priests should be able to marry a man or woman that they love and i believe there should be women priests. That said I still attend mass and enjoy mass. Jean Terrell always struck me as a lady that didnt enjoy show business.

ha ha !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    over the years I heard maybe one supreme was anti gay due to her religion I would Immediately ban her no room for hate , Look what happened to Donna Summer
    the few times I actually conversed with Jean, I never picked up on any anti-gay vibes, and I’m certain she knew I was gay. It just never came up and, I might add that she was a woman who had no problem speaking her mind. Girlfriend had attitude to spare when desired, so I believe she’d gave froze me out if I was offensive to her. I do believe that she probably had not been exposed to any, or a very very very few gay people before she joined Supremes.

Do we know when Diana Ross mentioned her gay fans, or gays for the first time?
    I don't remember her being vocal during AIDS time, in the eighties.
    For exemples, Streisand or Cher who both had a huge gay following, were silent too.
    It's not until the nineties that they had to be more open on the subject.

^^^That must be about right socially. It was probably no coincidence that it wasn't until the mid-nineties that the US Army felt it necessary to introduce their "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Do we know when Diana Ross mentioned her gay fans, or gays for the first time?
    I don't remember her being vocal during AIDS time, in the eighties.
    For exemples, Streisand or Cher who both had a huge gay following, were silent too.
    It's not until the nineties that they had to be more open on the subject.
    In the 1984 book NOWHERE TO RUN [by Gerri Hershey], Diana mentioned how much of a pleasure it was to have gay fans at her show.

To my knowledge, her first interview with gay press was a 1999 cover story in THE ADVOCATE.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the 1984 book NOWHERE TO RUN [by Gerri Hershey], Diana mentioned how much of a pleasure it was to have gay fans at her show.

To my knowledge, her first interview with gay press was a 1999 cover story in THE ADVOCATE.
    She did an interview with Attitude magazine in the UK in the mid 90's. I was there with her.

Reese you are right. I read Nowhere to Run when it came out and from what I remember the author asked Diana if she knew she had such a huge gay following, something like that, and DR responded "Yes I do and it is my pleasure." I never forgot that because people were terrified of AIDS at the time and other artists were talking about "Gays were spreading some damned disease." A lot of people thought the AIDS epidemic was FUNNY, and even worse, many thought God himself was exacting his revenge on gay men. I remember it because I lived through it. The stress, the fear, is hard to explain to people these days. I heard AIDS jokes in my workplace from my BOSS [[things I wouldn't repeat today, they were so evil). Anyway back to Jean, I have many friends who know her and she is a private woman of principle who was just unaware that there were so many gay Supremes fans when she joined.There was no hatred there. These days most stars are thrilled to have tons of gay fans because we tend to be very loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She did an interview with Attitude magazine in the UK in the mid 90's. I was there with her.
    I read it when it came out.

As a gay man, I don’t give two hoots about anyone’s belief on homosexuality.

I second that Circa!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I second that Circa!
    I third that. I don't even give one hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I'm hootless.

Diana Ross was in the Gay press as early as 1982.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I'm hootless.
    I am sure you have a hoot inside you somewhere.

I am sure you have a hoot inside you somewhere.
    Yes, the old hoot rears it's head periodically.

I'm fresh out of hoots too. BTW I love Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Diana Ross was in the Gay press as early as 1982.

What a great cover and photo of Diane! Is this in your collection, Dear Friend? Wow!

I’ve only just noticed Diana is in the pic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’ve only just noticed Diana is in the pic as well.
    Diana was in the pic?

This photo is well known I love it

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a great cover and photo of Diane! Is this in your collection, Dear Friend? Wow!
    I got it from a friend in a facebook group Kenneth.

Be well my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

I do! When I think of all of the money I've spent on my faves just so they can succeed and achieve their dreams, I'd be crushed if any of the people I loved were discriminatory towards gays or homophobic. We contribute dearly to their lifestyles. Why should we contribute if we are not seen as human? Homie play a lot, but he don't play dat!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    I do! When I think of all of the money I've spent on my faves just so they can succeed and achieve their dreams, I'd be crushed if any of the people I loved were discriminatory towards gays or homophobic. We contribute dearly to their lifestyles. Why should we contribute if we are not seen as human? Homie play a lot, but he don't play dat!!!!!!
    Very good reply. I have no interest whatsoever in supporting anyone who represses any population. Entertainment just isn't that important to me.

Those who choose to be carefree about celebrity views on homosexuality. Do you care about celebrity views on racism?

I think we had this discussion not that long ago on the forum. I'm gay and don't think Jean is anti gay. Where do these rumours come from in the first place. Just because someone is Jehovah witness doesn't make them anti gay. Wouldn't that make Lynda anti gay too? Religious people don't have to agree with every single rule or thought within that religion. Has anyone got an article or interview where Jean states this? We concluded last time that there was an interview where the interviewer asked Jean about her gay following during her time with the Supremes. She gave an answer which was a joke and nothing to be offended by. "As long as they buy the records it's fine with me". Jean must have been either desperate for money or gullible during her time with the FLOS. She must have know by the late 80's that the Supremes/ Diana Ross had a huge gay following. Celebs are often an examples, especially for younger people who still follow trends [[not everyone of course), so them being anti or racist is definitely not a good thing. But like I said, has anyone got any real proof? Has she ever stated that she's anti gay?? I think it's pretty bad to even say she's anti gay just because of her religious vies. Most previous popes were anti gay so does that make all the Catholics anti gay?? Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Those who choose to be carefree about celebrity views on homosexuality. Do you care about celebrity views on racism?
    Absolutely! Bringing this back to Miss Ross, she did an interview with her husband where she said she doesn't like to talk about race, religion, politics, etc because she wants the public to like her music. I think those days when stars did not talk about those things are over. I would just be destroyed if Miss Ross supported the madness we just got out of

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Racists and homophobes and sexists get released from my life with no bitterness. i just cant be around that those type of people.

Shirley Bassey for know for ambigus statements I think.
    Some are angry at Gladys Knight because she is a mormon, I think, even so she contributed to "that's what friends are for"
    Donna Summer image was damaged for alleged comments she made during concerts in the early 80's.

I could say I don't care, but that's would not be entirely exact.