[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Have you any idea Mr B if Stevie Wonder was ever approached to produce that first album for rca after QJ was held up?. Diana has shown she clearly loves his music, and even delayed the FBTP album so his song could be included. Perhaps the Motown connection would have made it a no no in 81.
    I don't know if the cross label thing would've worked, but it would've been awesome to have a Stevie produced album for her in 1981 or 82 or 83.

Are you saying Stevie as producer would have been least likely of providing Diana with elegant and/or sophisticated songs??
    I disagree about Diana’s music as always having been sophisticated and elegant. Much of her rca output is testament to that. “Fool For Your Love”, “Girls”, “We Are The Children”, “Eaten Alive” etc etc.
    The albums SW produced on Syreeta are arguably her very best. He chose material that not only complimented her style of voice, but were asophisticated and elegant in content. I see no reason why he could not have done the same with Diana.
    I'm not a fan of Syreeta's, but the Stevie Presents album is one of my all time favorite albums, period. It's such a fantastic piece of music. Stevie was certainly just as capable as anyone of producing sophisticated soul.

As an aside, I often wonder how much of the Stevie Presents album may have had it's origins in the potential Stevie produced Supremes album.

Sensitive ballads with a little funk mixed in. I for one would have been more then happy with a little of that.
    As would I. I'll personally take that over some of the syrupy Masser ballads, if I'm being honest.

If Diana was Miss Ross' most popular and highest selling album, why didn't she do another Nile Rodgers album?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    If Diana was Miss Ross' most popular and highest selling album, why didn't she do another Nile Rodgers album?
    Chic was her first choice, but they were unavailable. Then Quincy…

She did in 1989, it was called Workin' Overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    She did in 1989, it was called Workin' Overtime.
    showed how out of touch she was since Nile was drugged-up at the time and hadn't been near his peak in years. 1980-85 was when she needed Nile [[& Nard) to work with her - IF they forgave her for getting someone to rework their diana album from 1980.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 07-28-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    showed how out of touch she was since Nile was drugged-up at the time and hadn't been near his peak in years. 1980-85 was when she needed Nile [[& Nard) to work with her - IF they forgave her for getting someone to rework their diana album from 1980.
    The royalties they received from the DIANA album helped them to forgive her!

I believe there was some talk that had she stayed with Motown that there would have been a follow up album. But because she recorded It's My Turn and it was released to coincide with the movie, they had to put it on an album. Therefore we got To Love Again. And I'd assume they filled it with the older tunes only because she was leaving motown. had she stayed I would think they would have turned over the full lp to Masser for new material

then perhaps after that she'd return to the chic team

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Syreeta's, but the Stevie Presents album is one of my all time favorite albums, period. It's such a fantastic piece of music. Stevie was certainly just as capable as anyone of producing sophisticated soul.

As an aside, I often wonder how much of the Stevie Presents album may have had it's origins in the potential Stevie produced Supremes album.
    It’s a truly brilliant album that has withstood the test of time. You could be right about it’s origins being Supreme related. Every song on it would have been a perfect fit for Jean’s style of voice. I would have loved to have heard her version of “Cause We’ve Ended Now As Lovers”. I see the album more a vehicle for a solo singer as opposed to a group.
    A Stevie Wonder Presents Jean Terrell album might have launched her solo career into the stratosphere. If she was truly serious about it of course.