[REMOVE ADS]

The Dramatics Get Up and Get Down

A good record which becomes exceptional when perfomed with all that sensational choreography

Hi!

This was the follow-up to "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get", when everybody was expecting "In The Rain" as the next single, but it was released only as the third single off the album.

Ron Banks: "The thinking of it was that if we give them 'In The Rain', then they can buy the single and not the album. That was one of the best decisions for the Dramatics in an early career, when we had enough people that were smart enough to try to make us album-selling artists in comparison to single-selling artists. You can have a million-selling single, but if you only sell a hundred thousand albums, you go as long as that single runs. But if you're selling 250-500 000 albums and you have two million-selling singles, you get to sing for these people a long time. We try to cut every song like it's going to be a single, and that way we know that the album will be very entertaining music."
    [[Soul Express: The Dramatics Story - part 2; 1970-1974).

Best regards
    Heikki

The Dramatics were one of the most dangerously talented groups of the 70's. The big
    sexy beat of Whatcha See...stormed through both the North and the South when I was
    a kid. I heard it NY block parties and SC cook-outs. These cats had greatness in various
    editions and with great writers. Heikki has the complete story but I just get such a kick
    out of any footage of them at work anytime...Still miss Ron...Dramatics forever....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    The Dramatics were one of the most dangerously talented groups of the 70's. The big
    sexy beat of Whatcha See...stormed through both the North and the South when I was
    a kid. I heard it NY block parties and SC cook-outs. These cats had greatness in various
    editions and with great writers. Heikki has the complete story but I just get such a kick
    out of any footage of them at work anytime...Still miss Ron...Dramatics forever....

Just to piggyback on your thoughts Splanky, they were my favorite R&B group during my teen years. I was glad they finally did a "Unsung" episode on them. I think they don't really get the credit they deserved.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 07-09-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Just to piggyback on your thoughts Splanky, they were my favorite R&B group during my teen years. I was glad they finally did a "Unsung" episode on them. I think they don't really get the credit they deserved.
    I too was very grateful for the Unsung but I knew that would be storylines that were
    bound to missed. They were at competition with their actual superiors, The Dells, at one point but instead of fighting in public and on record ala James Brown and Joe Tex
    they recorded together. Marvin Jr singing beside Ron Banks just tickled the mess outta me....

Yes, a great, great song all around. The opening cut to one of the best lp's ever! Of course ... the singing ... but the songs and arrangements on this lp are just beyond superb.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

This was the follow-up to "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get", when everybody was expecting "In The Rain" as the next single, but it was released only as the third single off the album.

Ron Banks: "The thinking of it was that if we give them 'In The Rain', then they can buy the single and not the album. That was one of the best decisions for the Dramatics in an early career, when we had enough people that were smart enough to try to make us album-selling artists in comparison to single-selling artists. You can have a million-selling single, but if you only sell a hundred thousand albums, you go as long as that single runs. But if you're selling 250-500 000 albums and you have two million-selling singles, you get to sing for these people a long time. We try to cut every song like it's going to be a single, and that way we know that the album will be very entertaining music."
    [[Soul Express: The Dramatics Story - part 2; 1970-1974).

Best regards
    Heikki
    I'll always love The Dramatics' "Get Up And Get Down"! It's the perfect follow up to "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" & it was a smart decision to make "In The Rain" the 3rd single from their Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get LP. Great seeing them performing on Soul Train; thanks to mikew-uk for sharing the clip.