[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves/Vandellas Live Performances Questions

Does anyone have a proposed tracklist for the live album Martha and Vandellas cut in the late 60s that is still unreleased?

Also is anyone aware of live performances on television or live audio recording of the following:

"Honey Chile"
    "I Tried"
    "Sweet Darlin"
    "I Promised To Wait"
    "Forget Me Not"
    "Taking My Love and Leaving Me" [[other than Mike Douglas)
    "I Can't Dance To That Music"

And one more question, have any of these songs shown up in Martha and/or the Martha-less Vandellas live act over the years? I ran across a video of Martha doing "No One There" and was pleasantly surprised that she included it recent years.

"Honey Chile" LIVE on the Joey Bishop Show.Martha, Roz & Lois, they had a cool routine .Joey Bishop was a Late Night Host on ABC[[I think). Martha did do "Honey Chile" on a CRUISE in the late 80's.Band sounded horrible on the Cruise. But in '67 on Joey Bishop it was EXCELLENT.

Does anyone know if Martha & The Vandella's last concert in 1972 at Cobo Hall was recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Does anyone have a proposed tracklist for the live album Martha and Vandellas cut in the late 60s that is still unreleased?
    The set list on the Copa cd I have is:

Introduction

Opening Medley:
    I'm Ready for Love
    Come and Get These Memories
    Quicksand
    Heatwave

Nowhere to Run

Love Medley:
    Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
    L-O-V-E
    Love [[Can Be a Moment's Madness)

Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars / Meditation

My Baby Loves Me

Honey Chile

Band Introduction

Happy Medley:
    Get Happy
    Walking Happy
    When You're Smiling

For Once in My Life

Ode to Billie Joe

Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

Down by the Riverside

Finale Medley:
    Dancing in the Street
    I Can't Help Myself
    Sweet Soul Music
    Land of 1000 Dances

BONUS TRACKS:
    The Boy From Ipanema/Call Me/The Look of Love
    Our Day Will Come
    All the Way

I've seen Martha and the Vandellas many times in concert since 1988. For most of those years, the set list was basically the same:

Wild Night
    I'm Ready for Love
    Nowhere to Run
    My Baby Loves Me
    Jimmy Mack
    Heatwave
    Medley: Dancing in the Street/I Can't Help Myself/Signed, Sealed, Delivered/Knock on Wood

They might also throw in some extras like WHAT'S GOING ON, THIS TIME I'LL BE SWEETER, and MANY RIVERS TO CROSS.

But at the last concert I attended [[New Year's Eve 2020), she did two sets and in addition to the usual hits, she also threw in I'LL FOLLOW YOU, IN MY LONELY ROOM, an Aretha medley, and some songs from her HOME TO YOU cd.
    Last edited by reese; 07-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    "Honey Chile" LIVE on the Joey Bishop Show.Martha, Roz & Lois, they had a cool routine .Joey Bishop was a Late Night Host on ABC[[I think). Martha did do "Honey Chile" on a CRUISE in the late 80's.Band sounded horrible on the Cruise. But in '67 on Joey Bishop it was EXCELLENT.
    Thanks Motony!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The set list on the Copa cd I have is:

Introduction

Opening Medley:
    I'm Ready for Love
    Quicksand
    Heatwave

Nowhere to Run

Love Medley:
    L-O-V-E
    Love [[Can Be a Moment's Madness)

Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars / Meditation

My Baby Loves Me

Honey Chile

Band Introduction

Happy Medley:
    Get Happy
    Walking Happy
    When You're Smiling

For Once in My Life

Ode to Billie Joe

Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

Down by the Riverside

Finale Medley:
    Dancing in the Street
    I Can't Help Myself
    Sweet Soul Music
    Land of 1000 Dances

BONUS TRACKS:
    The Boy From Ipanema/Call Me/The Look of Love
    Our Day Will Come
    All the Way
    Interesting lineup. Thanks Reese! Wonder if this will ever get an official release?

I've seen Martha and the Vandellas many times in concert since 1988. For most of those years, the set list was basically the same:

Wild Night
    I'm Ready for Love
    Nowhere to Run
    My Baby Loves Me
    Jimmy Mack
    Medley: Dancing in the Street/I Can't Help Myself/Signed, Sealed, Delivered/Knock on Wood

They might also throw in some extras like WHAT'S GOING ON, THIS TIME I'LL BE SWEETER, and MANY RIVERS TO CROSS.

But at the last concert I attended [[New Year's Eve 2020), she did two sets and in addition to the usual hits, she also threw in I'LL FOLLOW YOU, IN MY LONELY ROOM, an Aretha medley, and some songs from her HOME TO YOU cd.
    Oh wow, she did "I'll Follow You"? I love that one. There's a vid on Youtube of the Original Vandellas doing "In My Lonely Room".

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I would loved to have seen that but it's gone now. Honey Chile was for a long time my
    favorite Vandellas song....

Was "Bless You" or "Tear it Down" ever part of their live act? I really enjoy their performance of Bless you on Soul Train. Lois and especially Sandy could move.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Was "Bless You" or "Tear it Down" ever part of their live act? I really enjoy their performance of Bless you on Soul Train. Lois and especially Sandy could move.
    Martha, Lois and Sandy performed "Bless You" in their live act in 1971. Unfortunately "Tear it on Down" was released in 1972, months after the group disbanded. I saw Martha performed "Tear it on Down" on a teen tv show after the group disbanded.

Actually The Vandellas broke up in December 21, 1972 . Tear it on Down was released Spring 1972
    Quote Originally Posted by magicone View Post
    Martha, Lois and Sandy performed "Bless You" in their live act in 1971. Unfortunately "Tear it on Down" was released in 1972, months after the group disbanded. I saw Martha performed "Tear it on Down" on a teen tv show after the group disbanded.

"Tear It On Down" [recorded in May 1971, released on the Black Magic LP and then as a single in May 1972] was the last single credited to Martha and the Vandellas but the Vandellas do not appear in the recording. The B side, "I Want You Back", also from the Black Magic LP, has no Vandellas either - it was recorded in LA, probably with the Blackberries doing the backing vocals.

The previous single, "In And Out of My Life", released in December 1971, is also believed to have been recorded without any input from the Vandellas - the backing singers are the Andantes.

[Source: the booklet from the 50th Anniversary Singles Collection.]

In Autumn 1971, Motown flew Martha to LA to start work with a backing band for a post-Vandellas solo career. A catalogue number was apparently assigned for a Martha Reeves solo album [G-960; Black Magic is G-958, G-961 is The Temptations' Solid Rock, released in January 1972]. That trip and the plans fell apart because of drug use which resulted in Martha's hospitalization.

Martha and the group were not very active in 1972 following Black Magic because Martha had little interest in performing live [she said she didn't want to leave her baby] and, apparently, Motown was no longer interested in recording the group. Martha and the Vandellas agreed to end the group officially with a farewell concert in December 1972. In practice, though, it would seem that - apart from the farewell concert - the group was pretty much finished by the time the Black Magic LP was released [March 1972], though it might not have been clear to everyone involved at the time.
    Last edited by calvin; 07-16-2021 at 03:49 PM.

A few things I do know, their Soul Train appearance was taped the last week of October 1971 and they were the opening act for the Four Tops for a run at the Apollo the first week of November 1971 and they opened for the Temptations in December 1971

Correct me if I am wrong....it just seems odd that she had no idea of the move to Ca. from Detroit. Sending her to Ca. to work on a solo career seems that she should have had some knowledge of closing things up ìn Detroit. The whole idea/story of a suddenly posted on the front door stating the company moved to LA just seems too weird. I am paraphrasing what I have read and heard.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong....it just seems odd that she had no idea of the move to Ca. from Detroit. Sending her to Ca. to work on a solo career seems that she should have had some knowledge of closing things up ìn Detroit. The whole idea/story of a suddenly posted on the front door stating the company moved to LA just seems too weird. I am paraphrasing what I have read and heard.
    Years ago, I said the same exact thing. The liner notes to TCMS volume 12 does spread some light on the topic where it states that Motown made statements that the rumors were not true and that the company was not in fact moving to LA. It wasn't until musicians went to the studio to work that it became official. But all the signs were there before then.

Wild Night
    I'm Ready for Love
    Nowhere to Run
    My Baby Loves Me
    Jimmy Mack
    Heatwave

I was lucky to see Martha solo at the Lone Star in Greenwich Village in the mid 80's. She was wonderful and the set list was what you mention, with the addition of 'This Time...', which she introduced by saying that she had been on Arista for about 10 minutes but recorded a beautiful album there. I paraphrase. AND agree. Side bar: interesting that some ex: lead singers can perform the same act for decades with no complaints, but others ... well, 'ya know ...

Name:  FB_IMG_1626577312694.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  50.8 KB

I saw Martha at the Dakota in Minneapolis in 2016; this was her set list.

Wild Night
    I'm Ready for Love
    Nowhere to Run
    My Baby Loves Me
    Jimmy Mack
    Heatwave

I forgot to list that Martha also used to perform I'LL HAVE TO LET HIM GO a lot. I was very surprised the first time I saw her do it as it wasn't a hit but it was a nice surprise.
    Last edited by reese; 07-18-2021 at 09:40 AM.